AVS Forum banner

Are you having skipping and/or audio sync problems with your HD-A1?

• Yes

Votes: 148 38.1%
  • No

Votes: 240 61.9%
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per a suggestion, I'm opening a poll.

Basically, if you are experiencing the annoying "skip" or "stutter" problem on your HD-A1, please let us all know.

Effectively:

You'll be watching a movie and all of a sudden, it seems to pause. Then, it resumes and briefly plays at a rate faster than 1x (looks like it's in fast forward). Then, it goes back to normal playback. Sometimes, after this happens, the audio and video are out of sync and require you to pause/unpause the film or move forward/back a chapter to restore synchronization.

If you ARE having this problem, please report what firmware version you are using, and if you are using HDMI vs. Component and if you are using the analog outputs vs. optical.

Finally, is this disc you were playing new or a rental (Netflix, etc) with some scratches?

A lot of people are reporting this problem with brand new disks and I'm curious to see:

1) How widespread it is.

2) Are there any common factors.

Please, no fanboyism. If it's happened to you, vote as such.

This problem is annoying a lot people and pretending the problem doesn't exist so HD-DVD doesn't look bad is just silliness.

·
Registered
150 Posts
xa1 - 1.4 FW - Have had 1 new disc lockup (Van Helsing) and 2 Netflix rentals (Syriana and Apollo 13). Had a few with original fw, none with 1.2 (only on about a week). Random places, nothing I can reproduce. Syriana locked to the point where the chapter skip, pause, play, etc on the remote wouldn't work. The "Menu" button worked and I was able to use the "Pause" option on the menu, then "Play" option on the menu. Thw other two, just a pause/play combo and went on.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I voted no because I don't have ongoing problems. I have had a problem only with the Tomb Raider disc. It seemed to "get stuck" at 2 parts and after it got stuck and resumed, the audio was off. All was well after pausing and unpausing.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've had a total of two skipping/freezeup problems with my unit. The first occurred the day I received it. It consistantly froze at the same place (launch sequence) in "Apollo 13". It was a Netflix disk and it looked beat. I immediately went to BB and purchased a new copy and all was well. At the time, the unit had FW version 1.0. Most certainly the disk.

No further problems at all after that.

Over a month later, I upgraded to 1.4. Since then, only one problem. The unit froze up completely on a SD DVD when I pressed the "Next Chapter" button. Had to power it down. It was one of my disks ... and, for the life of me, I can't now remember which one. But I do remember that it was an SD DVD ... and it was in very good shape.

Hank Brown

·
Banned
6,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big J /forum/post/0

Bad poll. People will need to specify if it has always skipped, or if it started after a FW upgrade.

J

Is this a public poll where we can see who voted? It doesn't make sense for people who do not own a Tosh to report skipping problems - right?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Not sure how to answer this. Bourne Supremacy would pause briefly every 2 minutes, and knock the audio out of sync, which was fixed by pausing. After it did this twice, I ejected the disc to check for flaws(none) re-inserted it, and it played fine all the way through.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0

Is this a public poll where we can see who voted? It doesn't make sense for people who do not own a Tosh to report skipping problems - right?

It doesn't appear to be a public poll; if it were you could click on the numbers for each vote, and the names would come up.

·
Registered
632 Posts
No problems/issues *knock on wood* with my Univeral/Warner Bros. HD-DVD's...I did have Audio Drop Outs with Paramount's Sleepy Hollow...!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I voted "no" but I did get a lock up/freeze, once, with Goodfellas (from Netflix). The disc was pretty scratched up so I'm pretty sure it was that as I've watched 5 other HD-DVDs and haven't had any issues.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had some of these issues with Apollo 13 and with Bourne when I first got the player

but have not had them recently. They were both brand new. The audio would drop out and the movie would go into something like a "slow" fast forward. It recovered after roughly 10-20 seconds, sometimes less. I am running HDMI and have firmware 1.3.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am using 1.4 firmware and HDMI audio over coaxial cable, problems so far, all these discs were brand new right out of the wrappers no rentals.

Sky Captain - Stutter on last chapter audio goes out of sync

Aeon Flux - Stutter 3 times during movie had to pause each time to fix sync

Serenity - Stutter in first chapter audio fixed itself

The Italian Job - Played Fine

Training Day - Played Fine

Tomb Raider - Played Fine

Sleepy Hollow - Played Fine

I emailed tosh today they sent the following reply.

Dear Paul,

Thanks for writing!

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Try resetting your unit by unplugging it from the electrical outlet for at least three minutes. If you continue having difficulty, I recommend contacting our Customer Solutions Department at

1-800-631-3811. They are available Mon-Fri, 8AM to 7PM Central time.

Please have your model and serial number available if you call.

Rick

Toshiba Customer Service

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have the original version no up dates as of yet, through component with analog for audio. Tried twice with Van Helsing because I love this movie, but had to exchange it to hard to watch. I am on my second try with Tomb Raider because I love this movie also, but I think its going back as well because it freezes up the player shortly after the UPS delivery seen, and I have to reboot the player every time. I have tried every thing skip, pause and starting from a new chapter after this seen but the player just freezes up, this has almost got me to the point of trying to down load a new firmware version. I am still afraid to update because of new problems with 1.4, hopefully they will come up with a good version with out any glitches. When they finally do come up with a good one I will have my kid burn it on a dvd and I will update then. Most of my Netflix rentals do pretty well with very few drop outs or stutters in the picture, not surprising those are the ones I would never buy, just my luck. I really look forward to the new gen players with out computer chips because the picture is flawless when its able to play consistently through a movie. By the way my collection consists of CoR,PitchBlack,The Last Samuri,Good Fellos, Born Supremecy,Serenty,TrainingDay,and Doom. Only had a little bit of trouble with Pitch Black, the rest are perfect?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanneild /forum/post/0

There is clearly a trend here - 35% of people having sync/stutter issues. Hopefully either Toshiba, or someone with their ear, is paying attention to this. Surely at this rate their people are aware, I would think.

Being aware and actually caring are two different things though. I don't have skipping or audio synch problems, but Toshiba certainly didn't care about the problem I've been having, and their supposed staff of "HD DVD experts", as they call them, know very little about their line of players. In fact, a tech support person at a small online business that I bought my receiver from knew more about Toshiba's HD DVD players than Toshiba themselves. I can't wait until we have more reliable companies releasing HD DVD players, as Toshiba clearly isn't cutting it. I know this is all new, but Toshiba could be doing a lot more in terms of quality control.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an HD-D1 running 1.4 firmware thru HDMI using the 5.1 analog for audio.

Brand new disc of Van Helsing had 3 audio dropouts and two skips causing lip sync problems.

I also bought U-571 and Enter the Dragon brand new-no problems so far after viewing each tittle twice.

I have rented 8 discs form Netflix. I had a few skips and lip sync problems but I attribute that to scratched and dirty rental discs.

I clean all my discs now regardless if they are new or rented. This has helped quite a bit.

I have not had to unplug this unit yet.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTIN MELHADO /forum/post/0

I have the original version no up dates as of yet, through component with analog for audio. Tried twice with Van Helsing because I love this movie, but had to exchange it to hard to watch. I am on my second try with Tomb Raider because I love this movie also, but I think its going back as well because it freezes up the player shortly after the UPS delivery seen, and I have to reboot the player every time. I have tried every thing skip, pause and starting from a new chapter after this seen but the player just freezes up, this has almost got me to the point of trying to down load a new firmware version. I am still afraid to update because of new problems with 1.4, hopefully they will come up with a good version with out any glitches. When they finally do come up with a good one I will have my kid burn it on a dvd and I will update then. Most of my Netflix rentals do pretty well with very few drop outs or stutters in the picture, not surprising those are the ones I would never buy, just my luck. I really look forward to the new gen players with out computer chips because the picture is flawless when its able to play consistently through a movie. By the way my collection consists of CoR,PitchBlack,The Last Samuri,Good Fellos, Born Supremecy,Serenty,TrainingDay,and Doom. Only had a little bit of trouble with Pitch Black, the rest are perfect?

It sounds like you could use a FW update. I generally don't recomend them, but 1.2 was designed to fix some of the problems you have.

I had one skip once, but I don't have a problem with skipping. I also clean every HD disc before playing them. FWIW, just because a disc may be right out of the box, doesn't mean that it won't benefit from cleaning.

J

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
So far only on Friday Night Lights but lost audio/video sinc on Bourne Supremecy for the first time last evening.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I had gone to 1.4 after watching my first movie on 1.3 After I made the change, I had lots of problems with HD-DVD discs from Netflicks. SD discs play fine. I changed back to 1.3. Apollo 13 skipped several times last night. I put serenity in and watched the first 5 minutes. Skipped a couple times. Thinking about sending the player in....

1 - 20 of 192 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.