AVS Forum banner

2541 - 2550 of 2550 Posts

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Just picked up a NetApp DS4243 DAS Shelve for $90 shipped.

They won't last long but keep checking back from the seller for more listings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NetApp-DS4243-Disk-Array-Shelf-w-24x-Hdd-Caddies-Rails-NO-HDD/192854064322?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
I didn't know anything about the NetApp hardware until I saw your post. The DS4243 only supports drives up to 3TB and uses the SATA II interface so it doesn't look like such a great deal when using newer hard drives. I assume the controllers interface with a main server configuration via an SAS interface, but I'm still learning more about it. I didn't really research the controllers at this point so I'm not sure how that works. It looks like the DS4246 is better suited for server applications with larger hard drives. I'm not surprised that you can get the DS4243 so cheap because it's basically obsolete. It's not even listed on the NetApp website anymore. I suppose it's fine if you have a lot of old drives sitting around that you'd like to repurpose.

I'm running an unRAID server with a 24-bay 4U chassis and an 8-bay 2U chassis I believe I posted pics in a recent post). The server currently has 142 TB of storage via 28 data drives, 2 parity drives, and a SSD cache drive. I can eventually expand it up to 224 TB if I so choose, but I have no plans to do that anytime soon. I generally replace the smaller drives as they either fail or start to show signs of failing with 8TB drives. I still have a few 3 TB drives and numerous 4 TB drives in the array. All of them are SATA III drives.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I didn't know anything about the NetApp hardware until I saw your post. The DS4243 only supports drives up to 3TB and uses the SATA II interface so it doesn't look like such a great deal when using newer hard drives. I assume the controllers interface with a main server configuration via an SAS interface, but I'm still learning more about it. I didn't really research the controllers at this point so I'm not sure how that works. It looks like the DS4246 is better suited for server applications with larger hard drives. I'm not surprised that you can get the DS4243 so cheap because it's basically obsolete. It's not even listed on the NetApp website anymore. I suppose it's fine if you have a lot of old drives sitting around that you'd like to repurpose.

I'm running an unRAID server with a 24-bay 4U chassis and an 8-bay 2U chassis I believe I posted pics in a recent post). The server currently has 142 TB of storage via 28 data drives, 2 parity drives, and a SSD cache drive. I can eventually expand it up to 224 TB if I so choose, but I have no plans to do that anytime soon. I generally replace the smaller drives as they either fail or start to show signs of failing with 8TB drives. I still have a few 3 TB drives and numerous 4 TB drives in the array. All of them are SATA III drives.

I'm using Unraid in a Supermicro case as well. My motherboard has 8 Sata ports and 2 IBM controllers running the 24 bays in the Supermicro. The 3rd PCIe slot on my board will be for the Netapp controller which will link all 24 drives via a 4g link. Hopefully this will be fast enough for parity checks.

Cheapest way for Unraid is to grab a used controller card and cable off ebay.

NETAPP PMC-SIERRA PM8003 SCC Quad Port Network Controller 111-00341.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PMC-SIERRA-NETAPP-PM8003-SCC-Quad-Port-Network-Controller-111-00341/232612850475?epid=0&hash=item3628ce6b2b:g:V7UAAOSws6ZaRluV

QSFP-QSFP Cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSFP-to-QSFP-SAS-Cable-1-Meter-1M-3-Ft-Netapp-DS4243-DS4246-DS2246-EMC-VMAX/202616084292?hash=item2f2cdc1744:g:5vYAAOSwuVpcfvvL

Another option is to upgrade the a compellent controller to upgrade to 6gbps if you want a standard 8088 connection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compellent-Link-Module-SAS-6Gbp-s-I-O-Module-HB-SBB2-E601-COMP-0952913-06/183673235160

From the info ive read people are using 8tb and 10tb SATA drives in this box. If not then I've got myself a big paper weight coming. Hopefully I will have 48 bays when all is complete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/azw9gs/for_everyone_who_was_lusting_after_those_netapp/

The seller has also raised the shipping charges to $134 which kinda kills the deal for now.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I'm using Unraid in a Supermicro case as well. My motherboard has 8 Sata ports and 2 IBM controllers running the 24 bays in the Supermicro. The 3rd PCIe slot on my board will be for the Netapp controller which will link all 24 drives via a 4g link. Hopefully this will be fast enough for parity checks.

Cheapest way for Unraid is to grab a used controller card and cable off ebay.

NETAPP PMC-SIERRA PM8003 SCC Quad Port Network Controller 111-00341.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PMC-SIERRA-NETAPP-PM8003-SCC-Quad-Port-Network-Controller-111-00341/232612850475?epid=0&hash=item3628ce6b2b:g:V7UAAOSws6ZaRluV

QSFP-QSFP Cable

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QSFP-to-QSFP-SAS-Cable-1-Meter-1M-3-Ft-Netapp-DS4243-DS4246-DS2246-EMC-VMAX/202616084292?hash=item2f2cdc1744:g:5vYAAOSwuVpcfvvL

Another option is to upgrade the a compellent controller to upgrade to 6gbps if you want a standard 8088 connection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Compellent-Link-Module-SAS-6Gbp-s-I-O-Module-HB-SBB2-E601-COMP-0952913-06/183673235160

From the info ive read people are using 8tb and 10tb SATA drives in this box. If not then I've got myself a big paper weight coming. Hopefully I will have 48 bays when all is complete.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/azw9gs/for_everyone_who_was_lusting_after_those_netapp/

The seller has also raised the shipping charges to $134 which kinda kills the deal for now.
It seems that I've just learned quite a few things. I had never heard about the NetApp hardware before so thanks for that. I also just found out that my unRAID Pro license now supports an unlimited number of drives. Previously it had been limited to 30 drives, including parity, so that's a nice surprise. I've been using unRAID for about 10 years now and I love it. I've had issues with it along the way, but mostly due to operator error and neglecting to RTFM so I've personally caused more problems than the software itself. I've still got a long way to go before I use up all of the available drive slots and maximize the capacity of my current setup, but it's nice to know that I could expand it even more if the need ever occurs.

My current setup has three PCI-e x16 slots so I'm using three 8-port controllers in those slots. The motherboard also has six onboard SATA ports. That provides the connection for the 28 data drives and two parity drives. In addition, I'm using a dual-port SATA controller in one of the PCI-e X1 slots to service the cache drive and also to have a slot free to run pre-clear in the background on any new drives.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Guys, need some help. I just read through like 50 pages of this! So I realized that I actually bought a Supermicro 24-bay Chassis with an AMD Opteron Quad Core 2346HE @ 1.8GHz from Tamsolutions wayyy back in 2013! I had moved since then and just forgot that I even had it! It is still packed in the original box.

So I need a backup unraid server and this would be perfect for it. The only issue is that I need this living room quiet, and I can't really find good instructions that I can make mods without having to use a dremel. I remember back in the day there were some simple guys but I can't find them (the one in this thread require a dremel?

I would like to remove the PSU and install a "regular" 650W PSU. Also need to replace the fans in the fanwall. I remember reading many years ago someone found a way to just zip tie a specific time of fan (3 of them) that fit perfect without the need for a new fan wall. That would be ideal.

Lastly, I would gut everything and was thinking of using one of JDM_WAAT's builds from reddit and run a Xeon on it. I'm not too familiar with expanders or how they work. I am still using an IBM m1015 flashed to IT mode from back in 2014 when I build a different unraid box for a tower. I don't think they had expanders then or for a reasonable price even, and I'm not sure how they work...

Anyway, is it still possible to mod this case to be quiet enough to be in a living room? Are the modifications necessary still readily available? And also, would I be able to use any of the supermicro boards from JDM_WAAT's builds? Is it even worth it for me to mod this old case, or should I just cut my losses and the Rosewill 12-bay hot-swappable case and call it a day? It would be really nice to be able to use 24-bays though if it's still simple to mod to make it quiet.

Would really appreciate some help guys
My mods didn't require anything more than a basic drill for creating a few holes.

I bought a mid-wall and rear-wall from Norco to install lower speed exhaust fans and a standard ATX PSU. My servers are not silent, but definitely nowhere near the volume before the mods.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Boy - and I thought I procrastinated. Found this old link while cleaning a retired laptop and the last page has someone with a server from 2013. Then I went to storage unit #2 and found the unopened 24 bay supermicro I purchased from TAM in 8/2012. Lugged it back to the house.... wonder if it will sit another 7 years before I open it :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
The backplanes are SATA and SAS compatible... So only one mini SAS cable is necessary from each backplane to the PTJBOD-CB3 controller card.

I am and have been using FlexRAID for many years without issue.

Like I said early... I swapped out the jet engine sounding fans for something much, much more quiet. Although my drives hover around the 32 - 34 degree mark... I am thinking of adding three 120mm fans for more air flow.

The PSUs that came with the expander are PWS-1K41P-1R. They are very quiet... just about the same volume level as my PWS-1K28P-SQ PSUs.

Hope this helps
John
What fans did you use and how did you mount them?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Trying to verify with those using the 45-bay cases, do they need a single external SFF-8088 cable to the HBA cards for all 45 drives or does it need two? I looked at the Supermicro manual and it looked like it needed two.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Trying to verify with those using the 45-bay cases, do they need a single external SFF-8088 cable to the HBA cards for all 45 drives or does it need two? I looked at the Supermicro manual and it looked like it needed two.
24 bay

2541 - 2550 of 2550 Posts