AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know, I tend to talk up PVR's, often Replay, and yes, sometimes DirecTivos. I just seriously hope I'm not THIS annoying:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/20/fa...partner=EXCITE

or
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/04/20/fashion/20TIVO.html

if you've already signed up for NYT.

You've got to love the headline too: "Why TiVo Owners Can't Shut up"

I wonder if TiVo will start advertising again if D&M starts advertising. I hope at least D&M starts some sort of ad campaign making much of the "annoying" salesmanship unneeded. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bakerzdosen
I wonder if TiVo will start advertising again if D&M starts advertising.
Excuse me? Certainly you don't think that the NY Times just decided to run this story for its human interest angle. Kudos to TiVo's PR people for the clever article. I felt like they were reporting on a recent cocktail party I attended. ;)

At least they mentioned ReplayTV, right?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I'm afraid to say that most of my friends probably try to avoid saying the word "Replay" in my presence. One time I was chatting with some friends and was discussing the fact that I often have to pause and rewind West Wing so my wife can catch bits that went by too fast, and one person at the table said "how can you pause a show?" at which point my wife looked at me with an "oh no" expression on her face! :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Let's not even start on the ever present media misunderstanding of commercial skipping and Replay vs. TIVO.

The very idea of avoiding commercials and TIVO don't even deserve to be mentioned in the same article, let alone the same sentence.

A pox on TIVO management once again!

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
"... customers pay a $12.95 monthly fee, or a one-time lifetime charge of $250 for online access to TiVo's computer servers."

Either this is an old article, or the author is guilty of not checking his facts.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Probably talking to TIVO users who don't know the price went up.

But I find it irritating that all these DVR articles focus almost exclusively on TIVO. Out of this whole article, there was a one line mention of ReplayTV and DISH pvr. I thought this article applied to all PVR users (Replay & TIVO), but you wouldn't know it by the article.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think i might be this irritating - if anyone asks I have to tell them how incredible DVRs and Replay are....and it seems to take so damn long to explain it...i feel the burning need to get everyone to have one...

but then i am too scared they will blame me when the DVR company bites it and they have a dead box :)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
i rarely feel compelled to show or tell people what a PVR does. it's nearly indescribable because it changes a private habit (watching TV) so much and everyone's tv viewing pattern is somewhat different. most people will go "really?" and then they change to another subject. you just have to use it for a month (think netflix) and then you're hooked.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I feel the same way about my crack pipe.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm at least as annoying as the average TiVo user. Not only do I feel compelled to explain the basic PVR features, but then I have to tell them about in-home show sharing, CA vs. FF vs. QS, etc.

But, there again, I'm a little eccentric anyway, so I'd be just as likely to ramble about the Super-DCMA law going through the Texas legislature, the latest cool computer software (had a long conversation last night with another DVDlab user), education policy, tax reform, etc.

My solution: I started a blog: http://www.tallent.us/weblogx/ . I get it all out of my system before heading off to a social function and don't feel as compelled to convert the masses.

Of course, now I find myself extolling the virtues of blogging and referring people to my site every ten minutes... *sigh*

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm afraid I'd end up the same, so I've avoided blogging for just that reason. So I hang out on chat boards and get it out that way. 'Course, here, I feel like such a neophyte that I don't feel the need to extol the virtues of PVR's or Replay to anyone :).

Quote:
Originally posted by richardtallent
I'm at least as annoying as the average TiVo user.

[snip]

My solution: I started a blog: http://www.tallent.us/weblogx/ . I get it all out of my system before heading off to a social function and don't feel as compelled to convert the masses.

Of course, now I find myself extolling the virtues of blogging and referring people to my site every ten minutes... *sigh*

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
i find that most of my friends/relatives are very curious if they either see it in action of hear that i have a 'tivo-thing' from someone else

off the top of my head i've given info to at least 6 friends/family members who bought replays and 1 person who got a directivo...only downside is that i'm now required by law to provide lifetime tech support...although i did tell my friend who keeps his showstopper in a locked cabinet with zero air circulation that he's up (that) creek without a paddle when his showstopper fries in the near future...he must have gotten one of the better models to come off the line, the top of his unit is almost painfully hot to touch but the damn thing just keeps humming along...kind of a testament to the 60GB seagate drive i put in there for him

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
how's this for a tangent... Richard, that's a cool command line utility in you log! Glad I was bored and checked it out!

Sorry, and back to the topic at hand...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think the funniest thing is when TiVo owners are quoted as saying "TiVo changed my life".

Were there lives that pathetic before they bought one?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Another tangent ...

I have to agree with Jeff D. Excellent little command line utility. Glad I checked out your blog! Thanks for the pointer Richard.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I gave my mom one of my old 3000's for Xmas, and she was a bit befuddled, and a bit delighted by it.

Now she's just pissed off - "Why the he** didn't you tell me about this years ago!" Of course, I did tell her about it years ago, but until they use it for a while, most people just can't really "get it".

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My co-workers get a non stop stream of Replay stories.

1) Having kiddie shows on demand is like a gift from God

2) Watching football games in about an hour (ever notice how NFL huddles take more or less EXACTLY 30 seconds), and still catching the end 'live'.

3) Soon they'll have to endure stories of burning content to DVDs, or watching shows on my laptop at work during lunch.

4) Theme recording: "One time, my 'Samuel L. Jackson' channel recorded this wierd movie...."

I mean I talk it up till I'm blue in the face. Blank stairs is all I get. I converted my folks, but that was only by getting them one. Now they have two. I almost got some to bite on the Amazon 228 - 100 = $128 sale on 5040's a while back. Glad they didn't actually 'cuz I can hear 'em all complaining about the Ch. 11 stuff.

I picked up a 5040 from CC this weekend, in case Amazon drops the ball.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I liked the bit about TIVO not having run an ad for 2 years :)

TIVO and Repaly should make it more of a different marketing approach. (I wish replay would try something)... BUY ONE, USE IT FOR 60 DAYS and IF NOTE COMPLETELY SATISIFED, RETURN IT FOR A FULL REFUND.

Anyone try to take my replay from me, the wife, or even the kids would have to be very very strong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.