AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the press release about Comcast's roleout of HDTV in Philly and the surrounding areas I was hopefull that something was going to happen in Baltimore city.

I called them this afternoon and they said the system would be updated in 18month. What the heck does this mean?

I can't believe this is happening in one of the biggest TV markets

in the US. We don't even have cable modem service here.

If you live in Baltimore City please call 410-649-9000 and try to put some pressure on these people. Any other advice?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Baltimore cable system is sad. Don't expect nothing out of it for the time being. The 4 surrounding counties can have HDTV when they went too.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Wildstar: Remember, Comcast bought Baltimore City cable from TCI relatively recently. ComCast isn't exactly on the cutting edge of technology, and right now they aren't going to make any changes with Baltimore City Cable. They have the highspeed cable modem here in Baltimore county, but they aren't exactly rushing to bring it to the city anytime soon. As for HDTV, don't look to ComCast to go there anytime soon, either. They consider it only if it is monetarily feasible. You'd be better off putting up an OTA antenna right now and settle for those 6 or 7 HD stations. Don't look to DirecTv for HD either; 2 stations right now. Buy a progressive scan DVD player and wait.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to comcast! I live in Lancaster we just got cable modem service a couple of months back. They have been talking about us getting cable modem service for more then 2 years. I am not holding my breath on HDTV in my area any time soon, unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm kinda bummed since my apartment faces north, so I have no chance of getting any DBS service. (Maybe I can hit 61.5, but it prob won't work since it's the only one I'll be able to get)

I have an excellent Panny DVD player and an iScan Pro, so life isn't that bad. :D

I'm might just build a HTPC to timeshift OTA HDTV since it costs about the same as getting a STB. (And I won't be using the DBS part anyway, so it's partially a waste)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WildStar
Reading the press release about Comcast's roleout of HDTV in Philly and the surrounding areas I was hopefull that something was going to happen in Baltimore city.

I called them this afternoon and they said the system would be updated in 18month. What the heck does this mean?

I can't believe this is happening in one of the biggest TV markets

in the US. We don't even have cable modem service here.

If you live in Baltimore City please call 410-649-9000 and try to put some pressure on these people. Any other advice?
Its been 15 months. and are we any closer then we were then? I'd really like to get the Orioles in HD.

To the moderator: can you please move this over to the local forum, it was posted here before that forum was around.

·
Registered
589 Posts
You are not missing anything! I dropped DirecTV for comcast right after Christmas and got their HD setup for my new TV . I live in Harford CO. They use the SA 3100HD box, plus only had 4 HD channels ABC, NBC and pay HBOHD & SHOHD. The picture was good on the HD stations, but NBC and ABC do not have a great amount of HD programming. What they do have is mostly up-converts which is not that impressive. The SA box sucks. Its up-converts 480i to 1080i and it looks terrible. I had to bypass the box for all analog channels. The box also puts black bars on all 4:3 when using the component output, thereby burning in your screen if you have an RPTV. It also only puts out the upper channels through the digital audio cable. I could go on and on, but suffice it to say, I just bought a new Samsung TS-160 and I am in HiDef heaven. I now get CBS, PBS, as well as Washington stations. HDNet is also excellent. Comcast's digital cable is a joke, as 75% of content is analog!!!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Baltimore is treated like a third world country by the cable companies. HD and cable modem service is but a distant dream for my descendants :). Without OTA and satellite, I could just chuck my projector and HD STB.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by richardg
Baltimore is treated like a third world country by the cable companies. HD and cable modem service is but a distant dream for my descendants :). Without OTA and satellite, I could just chuck my projector and HD STB.
A friend of mine just got cable modem today in Baltimore city through Comcast. There may be hope for all of us! He lives at the Hopkins House.

Any news on HDTV Cable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.