AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent the few minutes before dinner ripping my Bram Stoker's Dracula Blu-ray to MKV and FLAC before dinner tonight. Was going to watch it on the big screen. All set up, watching it, then I noticed, no subtitles. Nothing during that whole first sequence that is in Romanian or whatever. Why the heck aren't the subtitles just FIXED onto the video? Now I gotta go re-rip the whole stupid thing.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favelle /forum/post/17042926

Why the heck aren't the subtitles just FIXED onto the video? Now I gotta go re-rip the whole stupid thing.

Because that would be more than a little annoying for people who don't speak english. R1 DVDs frequently have spanish and/or french subtitle tracks that would clash with burned-in subs. That's why DVDs almost never use them.

Check the subtitle tracks. There is probably one that only contains the forced subs that you want. Use this to convert from SUP to SRT, then mux the SRT into your MKV with MKVmerge.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, will do.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I wish it was as easy as use this app and convert to the sup to srt. More times than not the majority of characters will not be OCR'd and you will have to fill them in by hand. If you have a film that has more than 500 lines of subs expect to be working on them for 30-60 minutes. This is one of the BD ripping tasks that I do not enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts