AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Dish Network subscriber for 3 or 4 years now, using the 501 PVR for about 2 yrs. I just switched to DirecTV Tivo (RCA DVR40) because the company I work for is offering a discount on service.

Anyway, I don't like it so far. Maybe it's just that I was used to how the 501 PVR worked, but the Tivo unit really annoys me. First of all, the remote is horrible. Whoever designed this thing should be shot. And it's infared, not UHF, which I knew in advance, but that's just another negative IMO. Any suggestions on a better remote (maybe UHF/RF remote also)?

Secondly, I don't like the fact that you can't really watch and surf at the same time. With E*'s PVR guide, you got a little window that played the current channel while you were looking at the guide. (Can this be done with the Directv guide? I couldn't figure out how)

Also, it allows me to record shows on channels that I am not subscribed to. Maybe there is something wrong with my setup or something, but it seems to me like it shouldn't let me do this. (I just went to a basketball game and set it to record, only to come home and find out that I have 3 hours of the DirecTV logo recorded)

In addition, the search functionality doesn't seem to keep a history of what you have searched for in the past, meaning that I have to re-enter something if it's not already set up. Also, it seems that the search only returns results if the title _begins_ with what I'm trying to search for (not contains), but I'm sure that can be changed, I just need to figure out how.

Anyway, there are other gripes we have, getting tired of listing them for now. My wife stays home with our new daughter, so she watches more tv than I do. And she's the one that's really complaining the most. She can't stand the new system. She wants us to go back to Dish, but I'm not ready to give up yet (besides, I'm sure I can't cancel at tis point anyway).

Reading the posts around here, everybody seems to like the DirecTV/Tivo better than E* PVR. What does everybody like so much about it (other than the ability to record 2 at once, which is what really sold me in the first place).

·
Registered
461 Posts
You have to retrain yourself not to think the Dish way....this is not a simple digital vcr it does so many more things. Try the Tivo style guide and see if you prefer tha to the D* style guide. Program the channles you receive and it will not record blanks anymore. The real beauty is not having to remember what time or channel ror worry about whether or not the network reschedules something, Tivo just gets it. It is the best thing since sliced bread!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.