AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

New to the forum - been reviewing threads in this area for the last week - looking to replace my AppleTV. Lots of info to digest, that's for sure. I just got an advert from Newegg.com about the following. Looks to be in a similar class as the WDTV Live... From description (and support for only realtek based Wi-fi dongle's), I'm guessing it's based on the Realtek SOC?

Here is a link to manufacturers website:

http://www.argosy.com.tw/product-detial.php?prod_id=154

Thanks to all those who contribute to this forum - great resource.....

....Still haven't decided what to replace AppleTV with just yet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was going to ask this question yesterday.
I picked up the HV676 around the holidays for $40. I'm just playing my ripped DVDs off a USB HD on a small 720p TV, so I don't have a lot of technical needs, and it works fine. I thought the addition of the 3.5" HD capability and N wireless would be nice so I was happy to see the sale this morning. Unfortunately, despite the fact that there is next to no discussion of them on the web, they must have sold out quickly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the same email from newegg and wondered if it was mod-able.

If I could drop 2TB of storage, Win7, XBMC, and maybe a BD drive in place of the existing DVD; then this would make for an awesome (and inexepensive) HTPC!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If I'm not mistaking, the unit does not contain a DVD drive. However, it plays DVD folders and ISOs.

My question is, will it play Blu-ray ripped ISOs? If so, I'll buy one immediately!!! Does anyone know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If it's based on the Realtek 3.0 SDK it will most likely support BD ISO.

Currently you can buy a few devices that will do BD ISO. In the sub-$100 price range, the ASUS Oplay HDP-R1. Firmware 1.17 includes this feature. You can get the ASUS Oplay HDP-R3 to get your wireless N if that's necessary for $30 more. You might be hard pressed to stream a BD ISO over wireless though. It's possible, but I would recommend wiring it up directly if possible. The wireless version does come with an card reader built in though which is not included on the R1 version.

For a bit better support for subtitling and other features, you might want to look at the Xtreamer or PlayOnHD. These are bit more expensive though. Both have pretty good support and regular updates. I would say the Xtreamer has a better GUI interface.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0t0 /forum/post/18021437

I got the same email from newegg and wondered if it was mod-able.

If I could drop 2TB of storage, Win7, XBMC, and maybe a BD drive in place of the existing DVD; then this would make for an awesome (and inexepensive) HTPC!

It's designed to be a settop box so your ability to mod it is fairly limited. Assuming it's based on the Realtek 3.0 SDK, out of the box it will make an 'adequate' HTPC. The interface certainly isn't as polished as XBMC but it will play your movies and music.

I've only seen one video of the GUI for the Argosy and somehow they made it look worse than the one that Realtek gives you. At that price range you're better off getting the Asus OPlay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm... yeah - saw that it sold out pretty quick...but Amazon has it - albeit for $120...they also have versions that come with internal HD...

...was about to pull the trigger on the eGreat EG-M34A the other night, but decided to gather more data...

·
Registered
554 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebohn /forum/post/18022018

Will any of these boxes play TS files from a MyHD tuner card in HD? I was also looking at the WD Live TV HD.

Wow, nice to see someone else out there with a MyHD card!

My only requirement for a media player is that it will play files recorded by my MDP-130.

But I think all players can handle .ts files, right?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Sounds like the MyHD files are TP, and these just came back online at New Egg. I just don't see if this will play a TS or TP HD file.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Priced very tempting, but I can't find any reviews. Hard to say how it will performed given that the company cannot even produce a correct PDF file for their user manual and FAQ links on their web site.

How can you trust the product firmware to be bug free when they can't even produce a PDF file correctly?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Looks like it should do the VOB's

MEDIA SUPPORT

Audio Support

MP3, WAV, OGG, WMA, AAC, FLAC, Dolby Digital®, DTS®

Video Support

MPEG-1(MPG/DAT), DVD Folder(IFO)/DVD ISO, MPEG-2(MPG/VOB/TS/M2TS), MPEG-4(Xvid/AVI/MP4/MOV/M4V), H.264/AVC/AVCHD(AVI/MKV/FLV/ MOV/M4V/TS/M2TS), VC-1(AVI/MKV/M2TS) , WMV9 (AVI/WMV/MKV), RM/RMVB(720p)

File Extension AVI, MKV, MPG, VOB, IFO, TS, M2TS, MOV, M4V, WMV, FLV, RM, RMVB, ISO

Photo Support JPEG(baseline), BMP, GIF, PNG

DVD Folder DVD Menu/Audio/Subtitle/Angle Selection

Xvid Subtitle Format IDX/SUB, SRT, SSA, ASS, SMI

Music Slideshow

Music playback during photo slideshow

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoru /forum/post/18021751

If it's based on the Realtek 3.0 SDK it will most likely support BD ISO.

Currently you can buy a few devices that will do BD ISO. In the sub-$100 price range, the ASUS Oplay HDP-R1. Firmware 1.17 includes this feature. You can get the ASUS Oplay HDP-R3 to get your wireless N if that's necessary for $30 more. You might be hard pressed to stream a BD ISO over wireless though. It's possible, but I would recommend wiring it up directly if possible. The wireless version does come with an card reader built in though which is not included on the R1 version.

For a bit better support for subtitling and other features, you might want to look at the Xtreamer or PlayOnHD. These are bit more expensive though. Both have pretty good support and regular updates. I would say the Xtreamer has a better GUI interface.

What about the Seagate FreeAgent Theater+? I hear that can handle BD ISO. Do any of these players handle BD ISO with menus? That would be the selling point for me.

1 - 20 of 585 Posts