Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I've got about $2000 available to spend on an AV receiver and speakers.

Early research has indicated that the Denon 2803 is a suitable receiver for my purposes, costing about $800 - leaving around $1200 for speakers.

Searches on this forum indicate that the Energy Take 5+1 system is a good choice at $700, and I'm leaning toward it.

So the question is this... For the additional $500, can I get either a 7.1 package of comparable quality as the Energy Takes, or is there an even better 5.1 set available in the $1000-$1300 range?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I vote on Axiom Audio . There are several truly excellent combo's available in yor price range. Plenty of laudatory reviews. And their "family-oriented" customer service is top notch.

At any rate, if I were you, I would divide the $2000 into $500 for the receiver and $1500 for the speakers. IMHO, that will give you a significantly better sound for the same amount of money.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Spend a little less on the receiver. An $800 receiver isn't really going to buy you much that you won't get in a $400 receiver.

Then by five matching 2-way 6-inch bookshelf speakers from a quality manufacturer (or four plus a matching center channel). For example, four B&W DM303s and the LCR3 center channel retail for $800.

Then spend as much as you can on a powered subwoofer. Figure $600 to $700 -- minimum 10 inch woofer with 150 to 250 watts of built-in power.

You can put together a very good system in your price range, but the receiver is by far the least important component.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
For a sub I'd suggest and SVS 25-31 PCi ($550). Then maybe the Axiom Epic Master Home Theater without sub.

I agree with the suggestion of putting more money into the speakers. A Denon 1803 would work fine, and is only $500 MSRP.

·
Registered
102 Posts
being the owner of mirage avs's (very similiar to energy take's) for my fronts and center, i'd strongly recommend you to try and get a cheaper receiver, so you can spend more on speakers

don't get me wrong, i love my avs's but their small size barely fills my approx. 350 sq ft living room+kichen area room. and yo ucan tell taht teh sound is "small" at louder levels although its nice and detailed.

if you don't mind going up in physical size look at reguarl sized bookshelf speakers, as they'll fill your room better and create a bigger sound stage,

i think you might be able to squeeze in energy c-3's for fronts, c-1's for surrounds and a c-c1 center, entry level svs sub, along with a $400 receiver like a h/k 325Z and maybe some extra change for stands, mounts and wire with 2k. just a suggestion since you seem to be aiming a little low in terms of speaker quality with that budget

·
Registered
515 Posts
Omnisat micro's and an LF100 from Mirage will bring almost any room with the most horrendous placement options, "come alive"................learn why Mirage is API's "flagship" line...............

·
Registered
437 Posts
You may want to explore manufacturer direct brands or slightly used speakers on audiogon.com or perhaps even ebay.

For about $350 you can get a used Outlaw 1050 receiver and transfer the warranty. If you need the latest of features then the Denon 1803 isn't much more leaving $1500 for speakers.

Unless you have a space issue I would consider monitor or even floor speakers over satellites and start with 5.1 for now.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The 1803 is an excellent receiver at a reasonable price, I've seen it for around $320-330, check over Yahoo! Shopping. A used Outlaw would be good too. This would leave you for enough for Rocket Package #8 (from av123) and a Hsu VTF-2 sub, or darn close.

Depending on when you're looking at buying, av123 expects their new ELT (full entry level 5.1 package) to ship near the end of May, beginning of June. Last I heard they were looking at a tentative system price of $899. Matching pairs will also be available. With this system you could get into a 7.1 setup and maybe even a 2803 as well, certainly an 1803. Do a search of ELT on their forum for more info and photos of the cabinets.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
jrenew,

My recommendation....

Harman Kardon AVR520 (there is one available on audiogon for $425)
www.audiogon.com

I second Kendrid's suggestion for an SVS 25-31PCi for $550
www.svsubwoofers.com

Rocket loudspeakers HT package #8 $1099 www.**********

Front (Main): RS 150 Bookshelf Monitor

Center: RSC 100

Rear (Surround): RS 150 Bookshelf Monitor

For about $2100, you will have a system that will rock !!!

For 7.1, you will need 2 additional amps (Marantz monoblocks for $140 each in the used market) and 2 more RS150 speakers.

Good luck,

-Jai

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The Ascends are a great value. Replaced Paradigm Mini-Monitors, which they blow away, in my home. Read all the rave reviews at www.ascendacoustics.com .

This is one of the rare times I disagree with hwc. There CAN be a difference between a $400 and $800 receiver but it depends on which receivers you are comparing. It doesn't matter how good your speakers are if they are hooked up to crappy electronics.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
if no one carries svs subs around you (or you want a more finished look) try the paradigm PS-1000. Its around $500 and sounds and looks great. Remember the wife factor.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-amp
The Ascends are a great value. Replaced Paradigm Mini-Monitors, which they blow away, in my home. Read all the rave reviews at www.ascendacoustics.com .

This is one of the rare times I disagree with hwc. There CAN be a difference between a $400 and $800 receiver but it depends on which receivers you are comparing. It doesn't matter how good your speakers are if they are hooked up to crappy electronics.
Ill assume your not saying the Denon 1803 is crappy electronics, but even if you are, I will agree that real amp circuits help a ton. That said, you can always upgrade the electronics later, like I'm having to do ... several times.

Its a bit more difficult to upgrade a matched speaker set.

Another thought is ... some speakers are very efficient, others aren't. An efficient speaker wil sound great with the 1803. But large speakers like large amp sections ...

I've always thought the inefficient large speakers sounded better overall, but a nice efficient speaker can sound great and even cleaner than the large ones. eek how did i get on this subject?

·
Registered
757 Posts

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

Originally posted by JohnR_IN_LA

Ill assume your not saying the Denon 1803 is crappy electronics, but even if you are, I will agree that real amp circuits help a ton. That said, you can always upgrade the electronics later, like I'm having to do ... several times.

I'm not familiar with that receiver and many others. That is why I said it depends on which receiver. I replaced a $400 Marantz 4200 with an $800 7200 the difference was incredible.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
RE: Energy Take 5.2: I've had to replace one of my speakers TWICE in the first year. Be prepared to be without a speaker for about a month if this happens to you! Very poor customer service from Energy.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
I have compared a Denon 2802 and HK AVR520 side by side and preferred the AVR520s musicality over any other receiver including Pioneer Elite. Currenlty I have a Lexicon MC-1 and Citation 7.1 amps, if ever, I go back to receivers, it will always be a HK. It is worth a listen.

-Jai

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.