AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone has been following the Energy Thread, you would know that I am currently in the process of replacing all my speakers. (Center just arrived and Mains should come in the coming month, all are Energy). The following 3 images show 3 possible arrangements for all my HT Gear. I would like fellow members to comment on both appearance and sound quality of each arrangement and which would is better for both.

Option 2a: Pretty much leaves everything the way it is. Raises the 50" Sharp up to allow the center (C-C50) to be placed below and the mains (C-100's) placed in right and left towers and the sub placed outside the right tower. Note: This option would required me to either take off or keep open the glass doors on the towers...

Option 2b: This option is the same as above, but keeps the right and left mains in the stand next to the center channel and the sub outside the right tower. Note: This options allows me to keep the glass doors on and closed... A plus for anyone with little ones running around...

Option 2c: This options throws just about everything out the window. It gets rid of one of the towers, moves all components into the left tower, adds sanus stands to hold the C-100's and shows the 50" Sharp wall mounted and moved the sub inward as well....

I should also note that the right tower is not actually that empty. I is also home to our Sat. STB and our PC (Both of which are not drawn in these images). Let me know what you guys think. Pro's and Cons to both and what you would suggest I do... Thanks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I vote option 2c, much better sound stage capable than the first two. Speakers tend to not like being stuck inside cabinetry as it causes a lot of weird resonance issues (i think I spelled that right).

·
Registered
613 Posts
Forgot to comment on appearance. I would ditch the tall cabinets and relocate as much as possible into the tv stand. If I had to get a different unit to fit everything I would sell the one you have on craigs list or something. Just a personal taste thing for me, but cabinets like that tend to put the lights of the equipment right in my sightline. Very distracting for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Batman, get rid of both cabinets, or keep both, I think you need symmetry with all setups. It might just be an Australian trend, but it is much more fashionable over here just t have one slim line cabinet with al AV components contained with speakers and TV the focal points for your system. For better sound, I understand that your front L&R should be wider apart ( such as in set up 1 and 3), so that would rule out #2 for me, and I don’t like the symmetry in #3, so I suppose out of those three options I would chose #1, but if you added a #4 with both tall cabinets removed, the TV wall mounted and the speakers like in #3, I would choose that one 

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I vote for 2c. Agree with Bruce above, give those fronts some breathing room...

Cheers

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the new center came in and I DID manage to get the Sharp back far enough on the current stand so I could squeeze the new Energy C-C50 in front of the LCD. I tried it on top of the entertainment center, but felt like I couldn't hear it well enough (even angled down). I still have to make more arrangement decisions once the new C-100 mains get added in the next month or two. Below it a picture of all the current gear and placement.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I vote 2c. While having 2 towers is nice from a looks standpoint I feel the speakers would be too close to the screen, limiting your soundstage if you went with 2b. Plus, the look better on speaker stands rather than be stuck in a cabinet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts