AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing with the AE500 for a couple of days now, had a AE100 to compare it to that I bought 2 years ago.

Source material(s)

Panasonic S35 DVD player component out

Samsung SIR-T150 HDTV Receiver

Dell PowerEdge Server/HTPC (3.2 ghz/2 gig ram/ ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/ XP Pro/ and latest version of Powerstrip/MYHD MDP capture card/PowerDVD 5)

Test DVD(s)

Nemo

LOTR: Two Towers

HDTV Captured materials (CSI, ER)

Got the custom timing programmed, was able to get Wide720 via DVI, crisp display, but when it comes to playing video material, VERTICAL BANDING showed it ugly head - BIG TIME!

Didn't matter what I use, stand alone dvd player, VGA/DVI (custom powerstrip timing).

Don't get me wrong, the picture quality is nice and sharp, it's just that vertical banding was so bad the only way I could decrease it was to set contrast to atleast +20, also tried different modes like Cinema1/2/Natural/Normal... didn't matter.

I'm kind'a disappointed, my AE100 did have some vertical banding but was no way near the AE500, undestandable I guess since the new pj has a lot more pixels compared to the old one.

I've done the search and haven't really found anything concrete to cure this problem, I'm really hoping there's a fix that I could just do via settings or what not, I hate to send this one back and get something that has dead or stuck pixel, this one is perfect in that area.

Thanks for listening.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Did you try adjust the dot clock? Some people have reported that this helps.

-MP

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Keep searching and try other things to fix the vertical banding but don't be afraid to send it back. Hopefully you could find a PJ with no vertical banding. Apparantly a few dead pixels aren't even noticable when viewing movies. Of course you don't WANT dead or stuck pixels, but if given the choice between vertical banding over the entire screen or possibly getting another PJ with a few un-detectable stuck/dead pixels, it may be worth the risk.

Try to fix the problem first though. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Went and tried the flicker adjustment. It helped probably 10% but that's about it.

Dot clock adjustment is not available when using DVI connection. :(

Any other recommendation? or should I start looking at another brand of projector right now? if so what is comparable with the AE500 as far as resolution/price point?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
sorry to hear that Jeff, i don't think you have much choice here for LCD in this price range except moving up HS20 which have LESS chances of getting one exhibit the VB. Ratio on this machine is high getting a good unit by the way. I demo one which doesn't show any VB at all ;D

I heard DVI conn completetd shut the VB off and some doesn;t on 500, service mode 14 on Z2 does the same trick but some doesn't. we just have to accept the VB is reducable but not cure.

Now i have question for you if you don't mind, what function is off when you DVI connction besides the dot clock?Can u still adjust the picture contrast, color, tint and etc... Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the same boat as you, jeffreyw, and I returned the AE500 for the HS20. Nothing that I did reduced the VB and I used the exact same movies that you have and applied all the "tweaks" that everyone had suggested in the forums. The HS20 still has *very* slight VB but it's a HUGEx3 improvement over the AE500.

My HS20 also has a stuck pixel in the very button left (stuck to green) but at my viewing distance you don't really notice it and it's really not a big deal.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
it's hard to conclude by judging few screen shots however it demontrated clear view of VB on first 3 shots. Good jobs and you just proved that DVI did nothing to reduce VB on your unit but dot clock and flickers did based on these shots.

Jeff, can you post how much improvement you can get out of second picture(rope on rock)? Same picture before and after adjustment would be helpful. Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.