AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have blackout blinds on my windows which are good enough to get me a pitch-black environment at night; although during the day light leakage leaves my screen gray.

I was thinking of building U-shaped channels out of 1/4" plywood covered in duvytene to eliminate the leakage arround them. Has any one done this, and if so how well did it work?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Drew,

That probably sounds like it would be the perfect solution and I would also be curious as to what would be commercially available... although at what cost. I am also looking at the same type solution anf if you discover the hot ticket please do post back and PM me.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Drew:

You're on the right track. I have many windows in a bright room and have 100% blackout. I don't even want to see a sliver of light.

Do you have woodwork around the window? If so, you can probably do it with an "L" shaped piece. Tack it to the outside of the frame, letting it extend outward from the wall enough to clear the shade, then allow the other leg of the "L' to cover about 2" of the shade.

I used flat black paint on the inside, but velvet or duvytene would probably stop more light.

In the above, I am assuming the blinds are outside mounted. If they are inside, that's a different story.

If you don't have woodwork around the window, you need another approach, perhaps the "U" shaped channel you proposed,

We also used a combination of soft treatments and channels on still other windows.

If you have the means to post a couple of pictures, perhaps we can help further.

Here's a look at our room which goes 100% black.

http://www.kathiejohnson.com/HomeTheater.html

Deane

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Deane,

I have the matinee darkening blinds with Comfortraks on 2 basement window well windows (City building dept. would not let me frame right over the windows). I do get a slight glow of light coming through the sides. Overall the tracks help a lot over having no tracks in stopping light leakage. I also get a little bit of light in the upper 2 corners where the center track is terminated slightly below the top of the window.

Overall, it is very dark in there mid-day with the light spill from my Panny 75U providing much more light than what is coming from the windows. The extra cost for the tracks was minimal. I suggest that measurements be taken very carefully by following the measurement instructions and measuring to the nearest 1/8th inch to get a good fit with the tracks.

Don

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.