AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I get is the green spalsh screen, but service won't start. Everything else in the Flexrain Install works.

What did I do, or is this supposed to be like this?

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is that on the WHS or on a client machine? I ask because I did Flexraid as well (having an issue with the trial license though) and now the dashboard crashes every time I open it on my client machine. Seems to work fine on the WHS.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncarty97  /t/1421369/arrrggh-added-flexraid-to-whs2011-broke-dashboard#post_22246567

Is that on the WHS or on a client machine? I ask because I did Flexraid as well (having an issue with the trial license though) and now the dashboard crashes every time I open it on my client machine. Seems to work fine on the WHS.

It broke on all machines. I re-installed WHS2011 on the server, and the client app on all other 'puters and it's working now.

The only difference between then and now is that before I also had a user account set up.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1421369/arrrggh-added-flexraid-to-whs2011-broke-dashboard#post_22246677

what browser are you using as default?

My dashboard loads from my Mozilla on my server since the locked version of IE was unacceptable to me.

IE9. I did see Assassins quip about using another browser, but "ASSUMED" that it wouldn't matter since I wasn't going to "Browse" from the server.

I see where that assumption would be false since the Dashboard evidently uses the browser.

Don't know why but it seems that I always have to hose up an installation in order to understand the OS.

·
Registered
907 Posts
So would it be a problem then if your default browser was not IE on your client, but is on the WHS? I'm running firefox on both my laptop and my desktop, but I'm not sure they are the same versions (desktop is the one that is crashing)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't switched yet. I'm doing fresh installs on my HTPCs (unrelated to all this) and thus this might be a good time...

Noticed today that the first client computer through the process will pair with the Server, but can't open Dashboard

on client. Yes I'm working with latest MOBO BIOS, Utilties and drivers, as well as a complete reload of MS fixes.

I can do a backup from the server.I can access shared folders from client by entering the Server Password.

Here's the rub: I WANT my server to be difficult to get into from outside of my network. Impossible would be nice.

So if I switched browsers (esp on the server) would I be doing anything more than making it easier to use Dashboard on the clients?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure. As I've been going through the client computers reloading everything from scratch, I've been wondering

if the inability to run the dashboard from the Client side is a problem. I'll be honest with you...I don't have the background

to know if it's a "feature" or an "issue"

2 of the 3 clients are now finished. Both of them have manually backed up from the server side with no issues, and the

clients can see the share files I set up using Flexraid.

Perhaps manana I'll load Chrome on the last client, and see what happens.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandbeth  /t/1421369/arrrggh-added-flexraid-to-whs2011-broke-dashboard#post_22253262

Haven't switched yet. I'm doing fresh installs on my HTPCs (unrelated to all this) and thus this might be a good time...

Noticed today that the first client computer through the process will pair with the Server, but can't open Dashboard

on client. Yes I'm working with latest MOBO BIOS, Utilties and drivers, as well as a complete reload of MS fixes.

I can do a backup from the server.I can access shared folders from client by entering the Server Password.

Here's the rub: I WANT my server to be difficult to get into from outside of my network. Impossible would be nice.

So if I switched browsers (esp on the server) would I be doing anything more than making it easier to use Dashboard on the clients?

Then put it on a switch and run the internet from your router to that switch. Use encryption or set it so the server is not online.

It's possible to have a server serve your home without internet access running to it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1421369/arrrggh-added-flexraid-to-whs2011-broke-dashboard#post_22257746

Then put it on a switch and run the internet from your router to that switch. Use encryption or set it so the server is not online.

It's possible to have a server serve your home without internet access running to it.

After about a week of this I'm finding the only restriction is being able to run Dashboard from the clients.

Backups, however, are being run every nigh without an issue and Flexraid is flawless.

I did google the error and found a few things that fixed others having this issue. (posted below for anybody who stumbles onto this

thread in the future). However, since it's doing EVERYTHING except allowing Dashboard from the clients, I'm going to leave it as is.

**********************************************************************************

Delete the dashboard.exe directory in C:\users\administrator\appdata\local\microsoft_corporation. (On the Server)

When you run dashboard it will get corrected. (Note: play it safe, backup the directory before deleting.)

#######################################

.....DUE TO CERTIFICATE which I corrected by going to certmgr, etc. This was caused by a power failure. When I started my EX495,

the time and date were totally wrong, like Jan 1, 2002!!! So when I ran Dashboard, it checked the certificate and saw my time was out of range,

so it failed but never gave me a message! IT would be very nice if DASHBOARD could give me an error message that would alert me to the invalid system

time!!!! Only found out through the application event logs. So bottom line, check your server's time!!!

########################################

I navigated to C:\Program Files\Windows Server\Bin\Addins and there are folders for each add-in. I opened the Users directory and found two files.

The users.addin is default and I had an additional file. I deleted the 3rd party add-in file and then the Dashboard opened correctly and wihout any

error in the event log. It looks like all the 3rd party add-ins place files in these directories to use the dashboard. Now I know how to fix the default

add-ins if I have issues with them.

a recommendation for SFC.exe, Windows System File Checker tool. Start menu, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt,

and choose Run As Administrator. Respond to the User Account Control prompt. Then, at the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833 for further instructions.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update 1 Aug

Long story short I found an internet time sync Server that consistently updated quickly and set all the computers to that.

Now Dashboard works on Clients and server.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts