AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When running rca from sub out to it, do you need a y-splitter to go in red and white rca input or what? Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It came with no manual. I'm using the sub out on avr to the art's. I have a single rca cable coming from avr to the art's, the art's has a red and white rca for input 1. I'm just wondering if I need a y-splitter to go both red and white input or just use the red or white input.

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts
Googling "art clean box" came up with this nugget in an article on subwoofers:

"The most common usage for subwoofer application is to use either the Left or Right path of Channel 1 to convert from RCA unbalanced to XLR balanced.

Channel 2 converts in the opposite direction and less often required in this situation."

So apparently you don't need a "Y" splitter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there are a pair of rca' on input 1, red and white. They have nothing to do with input 2 or output, just input 1. Just like right and left channel, but it's for input 1. Would I benefit from using both or can I just use one of them. Don't want to mess anything up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only have one right now. The art's box is running to BFD1124p then to ep2500 then to sub. So how would I hook up 2 subs through art's box then to BFD and control them separate or could I do that off of one amp. I'm only running one side of amp now.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
Only have one right now.

Then you only need to use one input and one output, as stated above.

You don't even need the clean box, the BFD will accept an unbalanced input as well as the power amp.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help. I needed the clean box to boost the signal, I wasn't getting enough signal to the amp. I had to bridge the amp and gain all the up just to any output. Now I can just use 1 side of the amp and gain set half way and get plenty of output now.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/18216430

The 'gain' control on the amp is an attenuator, you're attenuating the signal after 'boosting' it.

Sometimes something like the art cleanbox or the samson s-converter is need to increase the signal to get full output in a pro amp. Meaning we have our sub trim on our AVR set to max, we have our gain on our pro amps set to max and we turn the volume on the AVR almost to max to get any meaningful SPL out of our subs. Add the cleanbox and there is no need to max out everything and overall we can get a higher SPL period.

Too many threads on this topic to just say its the user (there are dedicated threads on other sites explained how to fix the problem so its has lots of history and its not the users). Some people like myself need those device to get the required subwoofer output.

Now I hope the OP knows that the art cleanbox has a SFF @ 18Hz. I perfer the Samson s-convert myself.

·
Banned
49 Posts
I just ordered a ART cleanbox to go between a Yamaha HTR-5540 and An Infinity PSW310W 10" 400w suboofer. I can get the volume of the sub to just meet the volume level of my main speakers which are Infinity Primus P362's if I crack the sub output on the receiver and the Subwoofer itself and then finally drop the mainspeaker output to -10db. But it's little ridiculous to have to tweak all this stuff just to get it to match up. Both products are consumer products so I'll be going from RCA-input to XLR-output looped back to XLR-input then back out to RCA-output to the sub. I'll post how it worked out since I can't find any posts requarding the Cleanbox Pro unit. Not sure if it has the same loss issues and the original.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Don't forget you have to modify the clean box with new caps or your low end will fall off.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamephoenix
I just ordered a ART cleanbox to go between a Yamaha HTR-5540 and An Infinity PSW310W 10" 400w suboofer. I can get the volume of the sub to just meet the volume level of my main speakers which are Infinity Primus P362's if I crack the sub output on the receiver and the Subwoofer itself and then finally drop the mainspeaker output to -10db. But it's little ridiculous to have to tweak all this stuff just to get it to match up. Both products are consumer products so I'll be going from RCA-input to XLR-output looped back to XLR-input then back out to RCA-output to the sub. I'll post how it worked out since I can't find any posts requarding the Cleanbox Pro unit. Not sure if it has the same loss issues and the original.
Im using one of the Cleanbox Pro units in a two channel system where Im mixing consumer and pro gear. It seems to work fine. It gave me the signal boost I was looking for. The only thing that can be a little confusing at first is that it has two knobs on it. At first I made the mistake and thought one knob worked for each channel. Not so. You only use one knob depending on which way you use the box. Im going in on the unbalanced rca side and out on the balanced xlr side. So the balanced knob is used for this. While the unbalanced knob sits at zero and does nothing unless you use the box the other way around. The one knob controls the level for both channels. You cant set different levels for each channel. Possibly something dual sub users should be aware of. You would then need to use the gain controls on your pro amp to set different levels for two subs.

·
Banned
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire /forum/post/20115263

Don't forget you have to modify the clean box with new caps or your low end will fall off.

Does the pro need the same mod? Has anyone seen the circuit board on the pro?

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
Very timely, I just ordered a Cleanbox Pro because MiniDSP can't drive my pro amp to full level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titleist1 /forum/post/18214535

there are a pair of rca' on input 1, red and white. They have nothing to do with input 2 or output, just input 1.

What are these for?

penn, did you change caps or just compensate w/the MiniDSP?

If the former, which ones and what value?

Oh, and what's SFF?

The best I can do with that is subfonic filter

·
Banned
49 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamephoenix /forum/post/20114983

Well just received an email from ART they said the device could only boost signals going TO progear not consumer level. Also FINALLY figured out my problem. It was 2 fold, my receiver had the Dynamic Range set to normal, set it to max and boom sub volume was doubled. Then I set the R.A.B.O.S. on the subwoofer and that doubled volume output AGAIN. Now I have the volume gain on the sub set at 1/4 power.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts