AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished watching the trailer for Art of Flight (2012) and thought it was some of the most breathtaking 3D I've ever seen. I thought for sure it was filmed in native 3D. Then I search online and see the film was a 3D conversion. Amazing. I'm not sure if I'll ever pay to stream the actual movie, but it looked amazing visually. Has anyone watched the entire film? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
17,029 Posts
I wasn't blown away with the 3d as it is a bit conservative for my tastes, but when you combine the reference audio/video with the 3d, it is one of my favorite HT rides. Not to mention the best snowboarding film I have seen. JVC was using the 2d version to demo their projectors at Cedia a few years back. :cool:

I have watched the 2d version countless times as it never gets old. I just got the 3d version a few weeks back and it will also see lots of use. For me, this one is great in either 2d or 3d and is absolutely worth picking up if you appreciate top notch A/V and watching people who are extremely passionate about what they do.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi, Robert. I know you have a large 3D disc collection. Would you advise your 10 most favorite (must have) 3D discs (besides Avatar, Gravity, Life of Pi). Also like to know if you had compared 2D to 3D up conversion vs true 3D disc on same movie before? What is your impression.
Thank you

·
Registered
959 Posts
Hi, Robert. I know you have a large 3D disc collection. Would you advise your 10 most favorite (must have) 3D discs (besides Avatar, Gravity, Life of Pi). Also like to know if you had compared 2D to 3D up conversion vs true 3D disc on same movie before? What is your impression.
Thank you
Kwok Lau

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
Fly High with the Art of (((3D))) ... Sound & Picture

Thank you
Thank you
Kwok Lau
Hi Kwok,

3D works for both ^ (double) eyes, and we have two of them. ;) ...And yes, my 3D Blu-ray collection is in the 400 titles neighborhood.
I did few 2D>3D Blu-ray conversions in the past, but nothing beats the real 3D discrete deal. ...And unfortunately I don't think I can afford a Teranex 3D video processor @ this moment in time and space.

* Interesting you just mentioned it too because last night I re-watched 'Lucy' (one great sci-fi/comedy flick in my cinema book) up-converted to 3D by my Samsung plasma. ...It was fun enough to put value in the "cool" factor. ...I enjoyed it, a lot. ...I wish Luc Besson would make 3D films, and with Dolby Atmos. ...Actually there is a Blu-ray version of 'Lucy' with a Dolby Atmos audio soundtrack; I will get it.

https://www.avsforum.com/POSTs --- and add 'Pina' to that short list.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thank you
Kwok Lau
Like I said in answer to your post in 3D Tech--there is NO comparison.:eek: For ME, the conversion with my Panny bluray players or 5030 projector is not worth the time to turn it on. MUCH better to just view a 2D movie in 2D. JMHO

Ed

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thank both of you again.
Ed, I just saw your other reply on the other subject title.

Obviously, Avatar 3D disc is must in disc collection. I will buy the 3D discs of The Art of flight, Transformer 4, Sin City - a dame to Kill for, Pacific Rim and the Hobbit trilogy.

In 2D blue ray format, I already have Tron legacy, Promethus, Life of Pi, X men Day of the future past. So I do not consider to buy the same movie in 3D discs at this point. Does it make sense? Thanks again, guys.
Kwok

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
My opinion:

Only get 'The Art of Flight' 3D (import) if you're into snowboarding, plus great snowy views of mountains, and excellent cinematography; plus the music soundtrack.

As for personal 3D Blu-rays: pretty much all Disney PIXAR animations. ...Love 'Ratatouille' (import) and 'Up' personally (taste).
...'The Hobbit' 3D trilogy; right on!

Another favorite of mine in 3D and that you already have in 2D is 'Prometheus'. ...Also, 'Hugo'.
'Avatar' 3D ...definitely, and 'Gravity' 3D.

One more: 'Oz: The great and Powerful' 3D. ,,, But you might prefer 'Pacific Rim' 3D, overall, film wise; entertainment.

It is tough to recommend films; easier to recommend technical quality sound and 3D picture.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Thank both of you again.
Ed, I just saw your other reply on the other subject title.

Obviously, Avatar 3D disc is must in disc collection. I will buy the 3D discs of The Art of flight, Transformer 4, Sin City - a dame to Kill for, Pacific Rim and the Hobbit trilogy.

In 2D blue ray format, I already have Tron legacy, Promethus, Life of Pi, X men Day of the future past. So I do not consider to buy the same movie in 3D discs at this point. Does it make sense? Thanks again, guys.
Kwok

Kwok-I made a few suggestions for you in Tech Talk. Too lazy to list them again here.;):)

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts