AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good article, and there are even more than just three, but here is what the article had to say...

3 Good Reasons To Stick With HD DVD

~ Snippet ~

Quote:
3 Good Reasons To Stick With HD DVD

By most accounts, Blu-ray has surged ahead in the high-def format war. But here are three reasons why HD DVD is still a solid investment.

January 30, 2008 | by Scott Wasser

Although it’s quite possible the decision by Warner Brothers Entertainment to abandon HD DVD will wind up being one of the final shots in the high-definition disc war, there remain some very sound reasons to ally with the HD DVD camp.

Granted, when Warner in June joins forces with Sony, Disney, and Fox as exclusive Blu-ray Disc distributors, the BD arsenal will be pretty impressive. But HD DVD still has a couple of powerful weapons in Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks, and both companies recently restated their support of the format. That means anyone planning to add the high-def version of “American Gangster” to their home video library better not be too quick to give up on HD DVD.

According to a poll of some 1300 Electronichouse.com readers, (see the following articles: Top 10 Reasons to Buy HD DVD , Top 10 Reasons to Buy Blu-ray ), 41-percent currently own or plan to buy an HD DVD player, compared to 36-percent who own or plan to buy a Blu-ray player. Twelve percent said they were waiting for the dust to settle before making a decision, and 11-percent own or plan to buy both formats.

This is (albeit unscientific) proof there are some HD DVD supporters out there. Here are three compelling arguments to join their side.

Click on the link to read the rest ...

·
Registered
436 Posts
I enjoyed the little article that could. Some valid points and I think it shows that Blu-ray and HD DVD can co-exist, but unfortunetly Blu-ray fans want the whole pie and not just a piece.

Why can't we all get along? If you like Blu-ray and think its the best in the world and stfu and enjoy that.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I agree there are more than three good reasons to buy hd-dvd .

Read the article , good read !!

Go Toshiba , get the studios back !!

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's nice to see an article written by an author who actually has some common sense. It seems that all we've seen lately is author after author copying the latest "HD DVD is Dead!" article.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I remain commited to format neutrality.

HD-DVD's biggest advantage is still the price of admission. I guess I don't see any reason not to have HD-DVD in your system when the cost of the player is so low.

With that said? I went to CC last night to pick up my regular Tuesday new release(s)...

I ended up picking up all three Ocean's movies on SD? Why because the Blu-ray and HD-DVD versions were $30 each, the box set was $90... YIKES!!

11 on SD was $7, 12 on SD was $9.99 and included Syrina as well, and the 13 was $13.99......... Self made box set on SD in anamorphic widescreen? $31 + a free Syrina movie.

·
Registered
27,092 Posts
I can't imagine anyone who already owns a HD DVD player not sticking with it.. I still have my D-Theater HD tapes and recently watched Ice Age in Hi Def (not available on eiher format). Likely over time, we'll see the HD DVD software prices falling to DVD levels... I know I'll keep buying..

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12978279

I can't imagine anyone who already owns a HD DVD player not sticking with it.. I still have my D-Theater HD tapes and recently watched Ice Age in Hi Def (not available on eiher format). Likely over time, we'll see the HD DVD software prices falling to DVD levels... I know I'll keep buying..

I totally agree!! There was another thread where someone was saying they were returning their A2 they got for only $98 and they couldn't understand why I was questioning that.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think Hd-dvd has a lot more going for it than just the prices .

Niether hd nor blu has gotten mass sales ....interesting to see if either or both prevail ..

Bob

·
Registered
847 Posts

Quote:

My sentiments exactly.

In my view, HD DVD has a lot to offer, and no amount of disparaging talk can change that simple fact. In terms of content, for example, Universal, Paramount, and DreamWorks Animation are only releasing on HD DVD, and they have a lot of good stuff in their arsenal, if they decide to use it. That could, of course, change -- all things are subject to change -- but, for now, owning HD DVD is necessary if folks want to have certain content in high def. It's that simple.

I will continue to purchase HD DVDs, as my experience thus far has been great. At some point, if need be (and when I can justify the cost), I will spring for a Blu-ray player. At present, that seems to be the only rational choice for me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know that for the "general public" including me price is probably the main consideration. I did not jump to HD-DVD until it hit the current lower prices. I think if the general public can buy a great HD-DVD player such as the A3 for not much more than they can a good upconvert DVD player HD-DVD "should" gain some traction.

Toshiba must also "pull out all the stops" and do some serious advertising so the consumer in general knows about HD-DVD.

Just my .02

dazed

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Super Bowl ad coming up.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/12979144

Super Bowl ad coming up.

Yup I have heard about that ad but they (Toshiba) can't stop there of course even if there are say 90 some odd million people watching. For a period of time they are going to have to be just about everywhere.

Maybe they could take a lesson from all of those annoying personal injury lawyer adds on afternoon and late nite TV

dazed

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

Quote:

I am spending way too much time in the marketplace section and on Ebay already. I have bought about 30 titles since the Warner announcement.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-king /forum/post/12981041

In any case, one format is better than two competing ones.

I dunno: OS, wireless, & MP3s sure have many successful formats competing with different platforms.

Why 1 HDM format has to go away is still a mystery to me as a consumer.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper /forum/post/12981119

Excellent decision getting rid of HD DVD. I would like to get rid of mine also. If Hi-DEF dvd is to survive it is imperative that one of the two competing formats be knocked out ASAP. And if people knew what I know about one studios plans for six- eight months from now(I can't mention it here) then they would not be betting on HD DVD to win.

And if they knew what I know (which I can't mention either) then they would not pick BR to win.

Time to switch to the Big Mac!

·
Registered
2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper /forum/post/12981119

Excellent decision getting rid of HD DVD. I would like to get rid of mine also. If Hi-DEF dvd is to survive it is imperative that one of the two competing formats be knocked out ASAP. And if people knew what I know about one studios plans for six- eight months from now(I can't mention it here) then they would not be betting on HD DVD to win.

Yeah: Just like my buddy in WB's software accounting telling me their HDM decision had nothing to do with actual HDM sales. Hmm wonder if your news is the same as mine's?

btw, why is 2 formats bad for consumer again?

It's not bad in wireless, OS, MP3's, digital signal delivery.

Please explain.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'll continue to buy HD DVDs, especially with all the BOGOs going around. I'm format neutral, but my biggest thing is no matter how the format wars ends (or if it does), I still have high def content for my theater in HD DVD regardless. If Blu ends up being the outright victor, I'll just hit every bargain bin HD DVD firesale and build a massive HD DVD collection

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_tech /forum/post/12978458

I totally agree!! There was another thread where someone was saying they were returning their A2 they got for only $98 and they couldn't understand why I was questioning that.

Returning a $98 A2 ?!

I can dig out more junks worth at least $100 in my garage, junks that I've never known existed. OR is it my garage??

PUT THE MONEY IN GOOD USE, PEOPLE!!

·
Banned
3,171 Posts
Good article midnight, but lets see how long it takes the Blu folks to hijack the thread. Thats what usually happens every time there is a positive thread on HD DVD and then the Mods lock or delete it instead of just deleting the baiting post by the perpertrators.

I don't understand why they do this. It is pertinent info to us HD DVD supporters and is posted in the proper forum, yet most of the time it is denied for our viewing.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
return a $100 hd player.....why.??

one of those up converts are nearly the same, and do not offer as much.

better question. why not buy an hd-dvd/up convert for $100. what do you have to loose.?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts