AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Seeing as how CNet was telling the whole world that BD was finished way back in ... last month. These guys don't have any credibility. If you don't click on their article they won't get the advertising money to continue to write about things they have no understanding of. If you want to go read some thing go to your favourite home theatre site instead.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/15571865

Seeing as how CNet was telling the whole world that BD was finished way back in ... last month. These guys don't have any credibility. If you don't click on their article they won't get the advertising money to continue to write about things they have no understanding of. If you want to go read some thing go to your favourite home theatre site instead.

I guess any news source that puts forth opposing points of views don't have any credibility in you your book then.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
If Vogue decided one day to rely on their fashion editor and their trends editor to explain quantum physics then no I would not. They may have different opinions on string theory (if they had ever heard of string theory) but the fact that they have opposing views doesn't mean that either one of them has a clue what they are talking about. Now if Scientific American posts two opposing theories by relevant experts it might be worth a read.

Keep in mind the first nut job cnet unleashed on the world didn't have any qualifications in any thing remotely related to the entertainment industry, retail, movie industries or consumer electronics. Just because you are in print doesn't mean you have any clue of what you are talking about.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Wow, I agree with the article. Will BD succeed? YES. Will it be the only HD format? Heck no. Will it replace DVD? Who knows?..but it will be around for a long time.

·
Banned
3,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillain /forum/post/15574273

If Vogue decided one day to rely on their fashion editor and their trends editor to explain quantum physics then no I would not. They may have different opinions on string theory (if they had ever heard of string theory) but the fact that they have opposing views doesn't mean that either one of them has a clue what they are talking about. Now if Scientific American posts two opposing theories by relevant experts it might be worth a read.

Keep in mind the first nut job cnet unleashed on the world didn't have any qualifications in any thing remotely related to the entertainment industry, retail, movie industries or consumer electronics. Just because you are in print doesn't mean you have any clue of what you are talking about.

Excellent point. This is what I always miss, the lack of context - plenty of self-entitled (e.g. former retail sales people, service technicians, installers etc) became "gurus" over the past decade in every possible online industry (IT, CE, cars etc) variations and the not-so-savy public gave them incredible credit without ever checking their real background or interests.

PS: did you notice that full disclosure is missing everywhere except financial and political journalism...?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2k /forum/post/15596938

Excellent point. This is what I always miss, the lack of context - plenty of self-entitled (e.g. former retail sales people, service technicians, installers etc) became "gurus" over the past decade in every possible online industry (IT, CE, cars etc) variations and the not-so-savy public gave them incredible credit without ever checking their real background or interests.

PS: did you notice that full disclosure is missing everywhere except financial and political journalism...?

It is interesting that we always have these pro or against article posting that either:

a) just babble on about why the author does not feel (or does feel) a product will succeed, yet they don't back up any statement with stats or any statistics.

b) The column is based on a few Pieces of data (usually from a source that is questionable or incomplete) and extrapolates the whole future while not taking into account all of the other variable that should be included. One of my favorites is comparing gross sales revenue of DVD versus BD.

c) The results of a survey or pool that is used to show a trend. Of course, the pool, and its size, highly subject the outcome.

I am for bluray at this point as I like my HDM (with the exception of their HTPC hating menu system), just as I like my streaming services, just like I like my DVDs, just like I think downloads would be interesting as well. I just get tired of reading all of these opinion articles dressed up as news stories from self-proclaimed experts.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmarchini /forum/post/15597316

It is interesting that we always have these pro or against article posting that either:

a) just babble on about why the author does not feel (or does feel) a product will succeed, yet they don't back up any statement with stats or any statistics.

b) The column is based on a few Pieces of data (usually from a source that is questionable or incomplete) and extrapolates the whole future while not taking into account all of the other variable that should be included. One of my favorites is comparing gross sales revenue of DVD versus BD.

c) The results of a survey or pool that is used to show a trend. Of course, the pool, and its size, highly subject the outcome.

I am for bluray at this point as I like my HDM (with the exception of their HTPC hating menu system), just as I like my streaming services, just like I like my DVDs, just like I think downloads would be interesting as well. I just get tired of reading all of these opinion articles dressed up as news stories from self-proclaimed experts.

All the article says is that Blu-ray will "succeed", and never explains what they mean by that. Sure it will succeed. It beat out HD DVD and is the only disc based form of HDM. People with high-end equipment who like "owning" a movie will buy Blu-ray for a very long time.

The article doesn't not answer any real questions like will Blu-ray ever achieve a market share of over 30%? Will it ever surpass DVD? Will it stop the movie download on-slaught that some say is coming?

I think all they can say "succeed" means is that Blu-ray will be around in some form for a long time, and I agree with that.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdog /forum/post/15597745

All the article says is that Blu-ray will "succeed", and never explains what they mean by that. Sure it will succeed. It beat out HD DVD and is the only disc based form of HDM. People with high-end equipment who like "owning" a movie will buy Blu-ray for a very long time.

The article doesn't not answer any real questions like will Blu-ray ever achieve a market share of over 30%? Will it ever surpass DVD? Will it stop the movie download on-slaught that some say is coming?

I think all they can say "succeed" means is that Blu-ray will be around in some form for a long time, and I agree with that.

Success will be defined differently by different people.

I think it is successful because it delivers outstanding picture and audio quality at a reasonable price in a easy to use package.

The other questions you pose aren't important to me. To others it will be a matter of life or death.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/15598175

I think it is successful because it delivers outstanding picture and audio quality at a reasonable price in a easy to use package.

HD DVD was a success!!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/15598175

This also describes Vudu HDX downloads ... at a fraction of the price I might add.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/15598456

This also describes Vudu HDX downloads ... at a fraction of the price I might add.

That most won't know, care or want to know about.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/15598768

That most won't know, care or want to know about.

You're right. It is technology for early adopters on the leading edge. I don't expect followers to know about it yet.

·
Registered
211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/15598456

How is comparing the cost of renting a lesser quality version from VUDU to owning the higher quality BD version "apples to apples".

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingfan /forum/post/15598958

How is comparing the cost of renting a lesser quality version from VUDU to owning the higher quality BD version "apples to apples".

HDX own at $19.99 (This is an error, currently you cannot own HDX titles). 1080p/24fps with bit rates 8-20Mbps as reported on CNet reviews. Explain the visual difference in 48 Mbps and 20 Mbps peak encoding. I guess $23.99 to $27.99 blu is worth the premium to you. I'd also like to see a blu that hits 48 Mbps.

It might be time for some screen shots to see if people can pick one over the other. I see them in the SW forum of DVD vs. blu ray.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.