AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/16/tech...ex.htm?cnn=yes

I did some more research on this and saw a lot more articles on-line, they all said the same thing. This is the best TV ever.

Article:

LAS VEGAS -- Big companies usually get the buzz in consumer electronics. Multinationals such as Sony Electronics (Charts), Pioneer and Microsoft (Charts) do most of the media huffing and puffing about their products.

But I am loving what small business is showing me right now.

Take television maker Runco and its latest set, the XP-65DHD.

This 100-person, privately held television and projector company in Union City, Calif., was started by Sam Runco back in the 1970's. Runco makes some of the best consumer-electronics equipment on the planet. Not only is the XP-65DHD no exception, it was the best single product shown at last week's gadget bonanza, the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.

This set is my personal best-in-show.

Runco targets the ultra-luxe market. So the company has plenty of freedom to bring fresh ideas to market. And does it ever.

Runco customers expect the best possible image, so Runco TVs require lots of processing power and special electronics. And rather than stuffing all that gear into the set (it probably wouldn't fit anyway), Runco pulls most of its TV-control hardware out into a separate processing unit. Then it uses its own special mathematics, called DHD, and code wrangled from THX, the commercial-grade video standard used by Hollywood, to create probably the most excellent picture quality on the market.

I'll spare you the techie mumbo jumbo: Trust me, life is too short to know a "doubler," from a "scaler" from a "video processor." But in my limited testing here in Vegas, the XP-65DHD does an exquisite - and I mean exquisite - job.

Throw anything at this set - any of the ridiculous competing broadcast TV standards, any poorly mastered standard-definition video, any of the goofy competing high-definition video standards such as HD-DVD and Blu-ray - and the XP-65 renders a lush and deep picture that renews what you watch.

Watch The Godfather, The Matrix or some other classic on this set and you'll see a different movie. Really.

Now about the price. Remember, Runco is a high-end TV maker. Quality on this level is not cheap. This unit, with processor, lists for $19,995. That's right: You can get a Toyota Corolla or a Runco.

But before you dismiss this as so much rich-man's fluff, I assure you that there are plenty of bits of consumer electronics at these prices that are not nearly as good as the Runco XP-65DHD. Hitachi Electronics (Charts), Pioneer Electronics and Fujitsu (Charts) all make very good higher-end displays. None compare.

Further, Runco is a lesson to the larger consumer electronics industry. As the rest of the gadget world struggles with razor-thin margins, too much capacity and a poor relationship with its customers, it might be wise to touch base with companies like Runco. These are operations for whom style, good engineering and innovation are not some concept in a PowerPoint presentation.

They are why these people show up to work.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
that's a pretty content-less review and just one guy's opinion.

there always has been and always will be people with more money than sense or time and just want 'the best' regardless the price (or if it really happens to be). *shrug*

·
Registered
34,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogogus /forum/post/0

that's a pretty content-less review and just one guy's opinion.

there always has been and always will be people with more money than sense or time and just want 'the best' regardless the price (or if it really happens to be). *shrug*

I searched on-line. There are many more articles regarding this TV. Every one of them had high praise for this TV and all said it was the best TV they had ever seen.

·
Registered
15,521 Posts
Not a confidence inspiring review (re the writer). The Runco could be great, but the dude doesn't even get around to mentioning what friggin' type of display he's talking about. He just calls is a "TV." Well there happen to be quite a few display technologies out there acting as "TVs" and it's typically job one to at least alert your audience which technology you are discussing. Even IF you also supply a photo.

And even with the photo it could be plasma, LCD or some new flat-screen technology (to a newbie) that the writer hasn't mentioned.

Sheesh.

(And btw, if it were actually true that of Runco's competitors in the flat panel market, "none compare" it would be a first for me. I've yet to ever see a Runco product, including all the plasmas I've seen them redo, that would warrant that phrase).

·
Banned
2,166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/0

Well there happen to be quite a few display technologies out there acting as "TVs" and it's typically job one to at least alert your audience which technology you are discussing. Even IF you also supply a photo.

Nah - him mentioning Fujitsu as a competitor is a dead giveaway what kind of display he's writing about...

....to us geeks!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/0

Not a confidence inspiring review (re the writer). The Runco could be great, but the dude doesn't even get around to mentioning what friggin' type of display he's talking about. He just calls is a "TV." Well there happen to be quite a few display technologies out there acting as "TVs" and it's typically job one to at least alert your audience which technology you are discussing. Even IF you also supply a photo.

And even with the photo it could be plasma, LCD or some new flat-screen technology (to a newbie) that the writer hasn't mentioned.

Sheesh.

(And btw, if it were actually true that of Runco's competitors in the flat panel market, "none compare" it would be a first for me. I've yet to ever see a Runco product, including all the plasmas I've seen them redo, that would warrant that phrase).

Rich,

I went to Runco's website, and it popped up on their home page, it is a 65" 1080p plasma display. It's just what you've been looking for (except for price).

-Steve

·
Registered
15,521 Posts
Yeah, I knew it was a 1080p plasma (and therefore no doubt Runco is re-badging the new Panny 65" 1080p model, as they have before...along with Pioneer models).

And while the Runco may very well look nice, if it follows the trend of all the other Runco flat panel displays I've seen the price will be outrageously beyond it's actual picture quality performance (that includes the fact of any included outboard processor).

I was just commenting that the article struck me as poorly written.

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross /forum/post/0

I agree with Rich. I've seen and shopped Runcos and have never thought their plasmas were as good, let alone better, than Fujitsus. Very nice pieces, but their pricing doesn't begin to come close to their PQ.

Having the advantage of having a very close friend who is an authorized dealer of both Runco and Fujitsu (and moves a high quantity of both products) and having the opportunity to purchase either 50" plasma at darn near cost (which was not much different between the two), I went Fujitsu. Maybe these newest sets are finally showing the PQ to justify their high price, but I thought the newest 50" Fuji was an overall better display. I wish I could have gotten that beautiful brushed black-anodized aluminum bezel on the Fujitsu, but oh well.

Also, per my buddy, Runco has really been having a lot of trouble in the reliability arena lately, particularly with their projectors. The plasmas are apparently a bit better (based on the number of problems my buddy's store has had), but his general thought was that while Runco gear delivers some of the best PQ out there, their mechanical construction is certainly not worth the high cost and there are better choices out there, unless money and possibly reliability headaches are of no concern to you.

While this reliability statement is rather generic (based off of one high-volume store), this shop moves enough product to make a pretty viable assessment.

·
Premium Member
8,710 Posts
Interesting...in one case the comment is "rebadged" Fujitsu. The next comment is less reliable than the Fujitsu. It's either rebadged or its not.

Actually, like most of the suppliers of plasma and LCD flat panels, Runco purchases their glass from other sources and then builds their own finished products...including the electronics.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I assumed it was a 65" Panasonic 1080p monitor with a video processor someone made for Runco. If I am right, you could get the same Panasonic commerical monitor and mate it with a DVDO VP50 for about half the price.

·
Registered
34,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 /forum/post/0

I assumed it was a 65" Panasonic 1080p monitor with a video processor someone made for Runco. If I am right, you could get the same Panasonic commerical monitor and mate it with a DVDO VP50 for about half the price.

I don't know, I thought it was different then just a re-badged TV, plus it is a 60".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.