·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
One of the funnier bits from that article is:

"Low power was not an FCC option when I was involved with building a digital transmission plant at WETA-TV [a PBS flagship station] more than four years ago - but low power would not have provided WETA with the coverage needed to meet the station's needs and goals."

WETA-DT in Washington, D.C. currently broadcasts on channel 27 with 50.4kW ERP.

Now, I admit that an accident at their real facilities have caused them to have to use temporary ones at lower power, but it's still not a good thing to use a station that is broadcasting using low power as an example of how to do high power correctly.

Of course, I can still get the signal at 70 on my meter from over 20 miles away, so they still are doing a decent job at far reduced power.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have read the article. But many of the smaller market stations who did not make deadline have some serious cashflow problems and cannot afford to throw money into High Dollar TV without expecting ANY kind of return in the near future. I suspect most are uhfs but there are probably some vhfs also. Cable, vcr, and satellite have taken a large share of the audience and stations just don't have a lot of money anymore. I am not surprised.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.