AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
 http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/01/...t_demystified/


I don't think this is break any forum rules, if it is, please delete. It is well written with a good solid foundation in terms of collecting factual data. Minor errors here and there, but nobody can be perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush /forum/post/12985047


Not an unbiased article, clear HD DVD bias.

Yes. He is reaching with those charts and they are merely distractions to make his point. For example, showing studios or hardware that support both formats is really a wash at best and still favors BD. Take away those that support both gives a better picture of the true slant towards BD. Saying hardware doesn't matter just like past generations is incorrect as well. This isn't the past. It is more an article written by someone who is hoping rather than being realistic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/12985124


Yes. He is reaching with those charts and they are merely distractions to make his point. For example, showing studios or hardware that support both formats is really a wash at best and still favors BD. Take away those that support both gives a better picture of the true slant towards BD. Saying hardware doesn't matter just like past generations is incorrect as well. This isn't the past. It is more an article written by someone who is hoping rather than being realistic.

Why would you take away the neutral studios? If you take away the complete picture, of course BR will look better. That is why being unbias is to present the whole picture, not part of the picture. Also, the article make reference early on that BR is winning.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Thanks for the link. Seems like he covered the bases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12985164


Why would you take away the neutral studios? If you take away the complete picture, of course BR will look better. That is why being unbias is to present the whole picture, not part of the picture. Also, the article make reference early on that BR is winning.

He isn't giving acurate info in the charts though... No mention of Pioneer or Denon on the Blu-Ray side for hardware and he mentions Weinstein on the HD DVD side, but no Lionsgate on the Blu-Ray side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzi /forum/post/12985218


He isn't giving acurate info in the charts though... No mention of Pioneer or Denon on the Blu-Ray side for hardware and he mentions Weinstein on the HD DVD side, but no Lionsgate on the Blu-Ray side.

Yes, that is what I mean by not perfect, I'm sure there are mistakes on both sides. I believe Denon recently said they will also supporting HD DVD, but they were not listed in either side. However, the jist of the article still holds true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12985294


Yes, that is what I mean by not perfect, I'm sure there are mistakes on both sides. But the jist of the article still holds true.


With some facts he is telling the truth, but I disagree with the jist as you call it. The jist I get is someone hoping for what he wants and believes rather than the reality of what is happening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzi /forum/post/12985218


He isn't giving acurate info in the charts though... No mention of Pioneer or Denon on the Blu-Ray side for hardware and he mentions Weinstein on the HD DVD side, but no Lionsgate on the Blu-Ray side.

Plus this got me. "* Meijer HD DVD player sales are limited to Microsoft's Xbox 360 HD DVD player" So uh why not mention the PS3?


This is not a Well written unbias article as the title suggests.


It's poorly written, biased and filled with inaccuracies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/12985334


With some facts he is telling the truth, but I disagree with the jist as you call it. The jist I get is someone hoping for what he wants and believes rather than the reality of what is happening.

That is fine, I respect your opinion. I like to point out that the charts are from tg daily, which has always been somewhat favorable to BR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,722 Posts
It's an article. As for the qualifiers such as "well-written" or "unbiased", those are subjective terms that are open to interpretation and long-winded but unnecessary discussions.


For example, it's easy to see that the author of the article had never lived through Betamax vs VHS or understood what the last days of LD were like. The AMD and intel comparisons are wrong because both AMD and intel PCs run all the windows software, but HD DVD players can't play BD movies (and vice versa), but that's all moot at this point.


Suffice to say that whatever anyone writes at this point has little impact on what is unfolding. The only way to change this outcome is to have the sales of disk improve significantly on the red side. The sea change in perception in not a simple case of Warner picking blu-ray, it's that WB said clearly that only one should proceed. Once that idea started to percolate around, it appears that a lot of people in the food chain that delivers and sells movies could be thinking about carefully and many perhaps are making moves to end it in the near future.


One quandary facing a lot of AV enthusiasts is the question if coexistence is possible. Once the majority believe that coexistence is not possible, then one format must prevail, and at this point, one has numerical advantages in both software and hardware sales that are difficult to ignore, regardless of which qualifiers we put in to measure those sales.


If this drags on further, then if we accept that peaceful coexistence of both formats is no longer possible, then it means that only one will prevail, and this means that the people who buy enough of the wrong format disks will find that new players will not be available beyond a certain date in the future to play those disks.


Similarly, people who buy players of the wrong format will also run out of media to buy at some future date, as the logical conclusion that both cannot coexist is that only one proceeds or both fails.


This means whichever way you look at it, picking the wrong format is going to be wasted expense since the useful life of the primary feature of the intended product is no longer as long as what the buyer expected. For some this is not a big deal, but for others, it might be.


I think for people who have not stepped in so far, it's mainly the question of not making the wrong choice, and dealing with the stigma of picking the wrong choice, should this wind down soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12985294


Yes, that is what I mean by not perfect, I'm sure there are mistakes on both sides. I believe Denon recently said they will also supporting HD DVD, but they were not listed in either side. However, the jist of the article still holds true.

DenonJeff said they hadn't ruled out a HD DVD player...not that they have plans for one...besides there are Denon Blu players in folks homes being used right now and definately no reason not to mention Pioneer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12985373


That is fine, I respect your opinion. I like to point out that the charts are from tg daily, which has always been somewhat favorable to BR.


I don't blame the guy who wrote it for wanting something he enjoys to succeed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,194 Posts




LOL.


Apparently, Pioneer, Hitachi and Denon doesn't support Blu-ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzi /forum/post/12985444


DenonJeff said they hadn't ruled out a HD DVD player...not that they have plans for one...besides there are Denon Blu players in folks homes being used right now and definately no reason not to mention Pioneer...

If the moderator feels strongly that this article is bias, then by all means, please move this to the HD DVD forum. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,850 Posts
The article is HD DVD biased and it uses charts from TG Daily which are HD DVD biased. For instance the CE chart missed out on many Blu-ray CE companies such as Denon, Funai, Marantz, Pioneer, and Philips without bothering to mention that both RCA and Venturer sold rebadged players. Also the articles states a lot of things as fact without offering evidence or explanation for why the author believes that. That is of course in addition to several small mistakes such as stating that Warner would stop support HD DVD on April 2nd. Also the studio chart includes Weinstein even though they hasn't released/announced a HD DVD title for over 6 months. I would give the article an 5 out of 10 since it has to much bias, not enough fact checking, and several opinions stated as fact.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striderprime00 /forum/post/12985480


If the moderator feels strongly that this article is bias, then by all means, please move this to the HD DVD forum. Thank you.

I vote for the thread title to be changed to "An article on the current state of HDM" since though the article is biased it is about both HD formats.
 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top