AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Tivo Guilt?

Figured I'd see what "MY SHOWS" programs visiting UTVers might have stashed away on their UTV(s) but haven't gotten around to watching them or can't seem to bear deleting them (yet).

I've got a bunch of "American Dreams" episodes from Season 3(?) which I don't want to delete since it seems Season 2 (which I DELETED!) and Season 3 won't be out on DVD in the near future (Dang Music Rights/Poor Sales!). Haven't watch any of them, but I should probably get around to dumping them to DVDR sometime, since they are probably 5 or so years old now... My UTV can't live forever...

Also got a large number of Smallville episodes (WB/CW) which I've not deleted... Got the DVDs too (also still wrapped/unwatched) so I'm holding on to them I guess for the Ads/Promos (!!!) I guess of a bygone era. Not to mention it's easier/faster to pull up an episode with UTV then to dig up the DVD.

Got plenty of new programs like 2008 Olympics and Political Programs (who knew 2008 would be the year people would be interested in recording election results,ads,conventions,etc.) which I can't yet bring myself to delete. Someday I'd like to dust off the DVD Player and be able to show the kids/grand kids the footage... in all it's SD glory...

I guess I'm just lazy not to just dump it to DVD and be done with it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I don't have too much unwatched, unless I set the keep option. I have a couple of auto records that keep recording movies found in the late night group, with about 5 narrow filters. I let this grow to 30 or 40 movies sometimes, and this deletes anything old I haven't watched.

Then I have some fun doing a delete all of the movie folder. I'm so glad that function made it into the last big update.

But in my keep group, the last one on one of my utvs is the pay per view of the first lord of the rings (2001) which I guess was recorded in about 2003. Maybe that's some kind of record - or at least a sign of stability. That disc drive has been running a long time
from when utv's were first hacked with larger drives. And It's funny too, since now there's talk of not letting PPV's remain more than a few days.

I've also transfered some shows to computer where I often convert them to a smaller window using the wmv format (about 10% the size of mpeg) and also with commercials cut out. In the years to come, I think this will be how to show an old SD video that won't look too blurry.

I also watch smallville, but I never liked their lois lane actor and miss the luthers. I'm waiting for the first show where clark finally wears the cape.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I enjoyed "The Middleman" series on ABCFamily this summer (got the comic book too which is rather faithfully depicted in the first season) and foolish me I didn't "save" all the episodes on DVR and while it is available on iTunes and might have a DVD release (soon?) I feel "guilty" for not saving them when I had the chance... I miss stuff that "grows" on you after while and you kick yourself for not thinking ahead.

Veronica Mars Season 1 (or the Chloe Sullivan show as some early promos seemed to suggest it would be) was probably a good example of one I "caught" just in time...

Had the series record in place and recorded the thing for 10 episodes or so... didn't watch any of it... it deleted the Pilot and second episode "Credit Where Credit's Due"... but lucky me they reaired the Pilot during the Winter Hiatus and I watch it and the rest of the episodes (didn't catch the "missing episode" until summer or the DVD) in short order and followed the series ever sense. "Who killed Lilly Kane?", Kirsten Bell, and the rest of the cast had me hooked... Who knew a PI still in High School would actually work as a show?

·
Registered
17,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgodave /forum/post/15272536

I enjoyed "The Middleman" series on ABCFamily this summer (got the comic book too which is rather faithfully depicted in the first season) and foolish me I didn't "save" all the episodes on DVR and while it is available on iTunes and might have a DVD release (soon?) I feel "guilty" for not saving them when I had the chance... I miss stuff that "grows" on you after while and you kick yourself for not thinking ahead.

Veronica Mars Season 1 (or the Chloe Sullivan show as some early promos seemed to suggest it would be) was probably a good example of one I "caught" just in time...

Had the series record in place and recorded the thing for 10 episodes or so... didn't watch any of it... it deleted the Pilot and second episode "Credit Where Credit's Due"... but lucky me they reaired the Pilot during the Winter Hiatus and I watch it and the rest of the episodes (didn't catch the "missing episode" until summer or the DVD) in short order and followed the series ever sense. "Who killed Lilly Kane?", Kirsten Bell, and the rest of the cast had me hooked... Who knew a PI still in High School would actually work as a show?

I started recording it in SD until D* added the channel in HD. Then I dumped all the SD recordings figuring either A) they'd re-air them at some point in HD or B) they wouldn't and I wouldn't miss it.

"B" happened.

If it ever comes out on DVD, I'll catch it then. DVD will still look better than the SD version of ABC family.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts