AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will PVRs kill the 30-second commercial as we know it now? Not likely, said several industry experts who spoke at this week's Television Bureau of Advertising annual conference in New York.

Full Article

·
Registered
105 Posts
The article never mentioned rolling back to view ads too, Time Life would not have had any sales from me without my Replay. I skip ads to dont like, and pause the ones i do !

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
"It probably will not have much more impact than what David described," Gotleib said. He said that the PVR-as-a-big-threat scenario is predicated on the assumption that viewers want to be programmers but that's not true. "The average viewer has no intent of programming their own network."
I agree that PVRs do not mean the end of the 30-sec ad, but not for those reasons. I think you'll find that the vast majority of people using PVRs are indeed creating their own virtual network. We're playing the shows when it suits us and we are skipping the commercials. However, until the PVR companies can figure out a way to market them to the mass public, who still for the most part don't realize just what they are missing, the 30 second ad is quite safe.

Actually, if you think about it, as much as most of us spend countless hours talking up PVRs to our friends, as as much as we want to see D&M do well with their new investment, it's actually to our advantage that PVRs don't end up in every household because when that day arrives it will mean the end of the 30 second skippable commercial, and in it's place you will have extreme product placement and in-show commerical. You think Survivor and Americam Idol are bad now, it will be WAY worse when PVRs are in every household.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
even at 75% penetration only 20% of PVR users will skip commercials.
Whoever said that is dilusional. Imagine a sit-com with broad appeal (Sienfeld) airs in this fantasy land of 75% PVR penetration. This guy thinks 80% of PVR equipped households are gonna sit ther watch another pitch for diarrea medicine, or new AOL 16.0, in lieu of INSTANTLY getting back to 'No soup for you' or "serenity now!" or "That's it, I'm out of the contest". PaaaaLease!!! I want some of what he's smoking.

The only way that would be true, is

1) only 20% of PVRs are capable of commercial skipping

or

2) 80% of PVR housholds are populated by braindead vegetables.

Commercial skipping sold many ReplayTVs I know it was THE deciding factor way back when I got my 3030.

IMHO, commerical skipping has improved my life imeasurably, especially so, since my kids are entering the age of suggestion.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack

[/b]
Exactly... The average american consumer. :)

But seriously, commercials are targeted towards a broad demographic that are probably more likely to have TIVO or a $40 VCR.

The lawsuit against SonicBlue was just a early strike to try and prevent CA from becoming more widespread in DVRs.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
If that were true, people would believe that a $399 TiVo (with $200 lifetime sub) was cheaper than a $599 Replay, oh, wait a minute, they did think that, oh well, I guess you're right.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.