AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still on the fence on which direction to go with for a Plasma (63" Samsung or 58" Panny - '08 vs '09). Either way, I plan to wall mount it, but don't want it flush as I want it to hang over my center channel.

Looking at Peerless's 200lb articulating mount (best I have found thus far - but looking for suggestions), is it safe to keep the mount extended 2 feet with the weight of either of the plasmas referenced above?

What is the risk that the wall or mount give out? Non-issue privided I install it correctly?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I had my 58" panny on a Premiere Mounts AM3. The mount is a tank. I always left mine from the wall about a foot, as it was in a recessed wall.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Regardless if the mount is extended or retracted it will not causes any tension or stress on the mount. Most articulating mounts are very rigid and can handle nearly 200 lbs. The Peerless SA760 would be a good match for most displays today.

Chris

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Absolutely make sure you spend the extra money to get the good stuff. Also stay away from the single arm articulating mounts. I purchased a single arm articulating mount with a weight rating double of my TV (42" Panny plasma) but it wasn't enough. I know, my center channel is mounted directly to my TV however its weight is insignificant compared to the weight of the TV.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies - sounds like I should be ok as long as I do it right.

creemail - I think that is the exact mount I was looking at

imdjenk - That pic doesn't look too healthy. The guy at Sears was telling me this past weekend that their 1 arm rack should give me no worries, that pic worries me. He was telling me that I should forget weight limits and only pay attention to tv size recommendations. Not sure if that made sense as there is a rather large range in weigh outside of size (LCD vs Plasma).

This is why I come to this forum rather than trusting what I hear from 1 or 2 salesmen at the local stores.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
897 Posts
I used a Sanus VMDD26 on my Panny 58PZ700U (nearly 200 pounds if you add the mount weight and the TV weight). Not a problem. Works great. There are some other folks in the 700U thread who used this same mount to effect a "corner" 45* type setup so it's basically permanently extended and have also reported good success. Click on the link in my sig to see some pics.

--Mav

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/15607279

Absolutely make sure you spend the extra money to get the good stuff. Also stay away from the single arm articulating mounts. I purchased a single arm articulating mount with a weight rating double of my TV (42" Panny plasma) but it wasn't enough. I know, my center channel is mounted directly to my TV however its weight is insignificant compared to the weight of the TV.

Hi IMDJENK

Just noticed your post and I have also run into this problem with single arm articulating mounts. But I have had good success with low cost dual arm articulating mounts. I installed one from erseaudio dot com not to long ago. Their dual arm is solid and is made of heavy gauge steel. I don't think I will have any worries.

Jims AV

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsaudiovideo /forum/post/15667240

Just noticed your post and I have also run into this problem with single arm articulating mounts. But I have had good success with low cost dual arm articulating mounts.

I installed one from erseaudio dot com not to long ago. Their dual arm is solid and is made of heavy gauge steel. I don't think I will have any worries.

Are you talking about the one below? Will fit 46" Samsung LCD?(their site seems not too specific on that). Is good?

Just wanna know 'cuz I need one too.

http://www.erseaudio.com/VideoProduc...60-175-ET12-15

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/15607279

Absolutely make sure you spend the extra money to get the good stuff. Also stay away from the single arm articulating mounts.

Wow! That's probably the worst articulating arm quality problem I've seen.

Dual arm mounts are generally preferable to single for any given quality level. Their geometry is just inherently more stable.

However, for anyone needing a single arm mount (entertainment niche side mounts, corner mounts, etc.) there are good quality single arm units that can easily hold 50-60" plasmas with no sag. Sanus VMAA or Peerless PLA-60 are good examples. Expect to pay $300+ for a quality single arm mount.

Below is a Sanus VMAA mount that started with a 42" plasma and was then upgraded to a 50" unit. It's been in continuous articulating use for more than 3 years without any sag.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I just want to throw out another suggestion for top-quality mounts: Chief Manufacturing. I have my 50" Kuro on one of their older, single-arm articulating mounts and it feels sturdy enough for me to hang from if the mood struck (I weigh roughly 200 lbs). Their mounts, especially their dual-arms are freaking tanks. Definitely consider http://www.chiefmfg.com/default.aspx

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
So I decided to replace my mount with a dual arm from monoprice. Build quality seems far superior than my previous mount. Quite happy so far, only time will tell for sure although I'm pretty confident this won't sag based on build quality.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

1 - 13 of 13 Posts