AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope someone can help me here.

I have a 43" Samsung Plasma TV (about 9 years old). I want to mount it to the wall in a bedroom and have bought a heavy-duty articulating and tilting wall mount. The TV with the mounting hardware installed is 70 pounds (and that's with the base attached that will be removed of course). The wall mount portion is 15 pounds and the mount is designed to attach to two wood studs with 16" centers. The mount is rated for up to a 60" TV (no doubt a more modern one that weighs less now) and is rated for 150 pounds. All good right? Well...here's is what I can't wrap my mind around: The arm that extends from the mount to allow the screen to be turned in different directions fully extends to about 3 feet. Now I don't ever plan to have it extended to the full length, but it just seems like an incredible amount of weight that will act as a lever the farther the TV is extended on the mount. It seems to me that it might just rip the mount right out of the studs!! I get that the weight rating (in my case 150 pounds) is actually triple rated meaning 3X that amount could be used on the mount, but I view this as the weight the mount arm can support. I'm not overly worried about the amount of weight on the mount arm, but I'm more worried about the incredible pressure that must be put on the 4 lag bolts that are screwed into the two 2x4 studs. I'm worried at some point they will rip right out of the wall or something!!

I'm a crazy to think this?

I'm thinking of perhaps getting a 1" thick laminated piece of plywood to screw into the two studs to give it more strength and then mount the mount on the plywood and into the studs?

Or a 1" thick laminated piece of plywood over THREE studs and perhaps then lag bolting the mount to the plywood and through the drywall?

Has anyone had a similar issue? I don't know which method above will provide the better support for the amount of pressure that 70 pounds places on a 3 foot long extended arm? It just doesn't seem to be enough for me.

Please help if you've been in a similar situation.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You'll be fine. I have a wall mount that extends out like that and just to see I went ahead and hung from it and my weight is above the actual weight rating by about 15 lbs. Just use good mounting bolts and get solid contact with the studs.

Reactions: Verminator
1 - 2 of 2 Posts