AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to get a 50" plasma, most likely a Fujitsu. The plasma will be mounted to the wall with an articuating wall mount. Then, we're building a cabinet around the plasma display (WAF) so that we can hide it when it's not in use. When the plamsma is being watched, it will be swung out about 80 degrees from the wall it's mounted on. When I have it swung out, how far will the side of the plasma closet to the wall be from the wall with a 90 degree arm? Will a 180 degree mount give me more clearance from the wall? When the plasma is pushed back against the wall for storage, how far off the wall is the front of the panel with the 90 degree arm? with the 180 degree arm?

Any input on Chief vs. Peerless vs. Premier? Do all of them have lateral shift kits available if my studs aren't centered correctly?

Thanks,

Glen

·
Registered
99 Posts
Let's say you choose Peerless; that's what I have... good choice.

A quick google shows the 180 degree Peerless PLA-1 extends 28" and the 50" Fujitsu width is 47.3, call it 48". So, the outer edge of the panel is 4" from the wall @90 degrees. Viewing area starts approx. 2" beyond that given bezel width and 80 vs. 90 degrees so the viewing area starts about 6" from the wall.

The outer edge of the top of my 42" NEC mounted on a Peerless PLA-2 (slightly lighter duty than PLA-1 but basically same attributes) is 9" from the wall fully retracted (I have it tilted slightly down). So, continuing this back-of-the-envelope exercise, your cabinet would need to be a min of 10" deep to enclose the panel.

This sounds bad: You'll lose a minimum of 4" of viewing surface at 80 degrees.

More generally, if this is a std. rectangular room, why are you planning to sit next to a wall when viewing and not in the middle of the room? This screws your audio too, of course. You'd be doing yourself a favor I think to go back to the drawing board RE: room layout.

If your studs aren't on 16" centers, I think your "lateral shift kit" is how handy you are at doing interior wall reinforcement. Make sure your wife is out shopping when you punch through the wallboard. I wouldn't recommend re-drilling mounting holes: A 50" plasma is almost 100 lbs!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Granitehead is dead on...

My chiefs with a 42 panny ... ( the side... ) doesn't come out very much when turned at 80-90...

the back of the panny when flat is 7" or so from the back...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.