AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago I noticed that my PRO101 was showing artifacts, little lines almost like piano keys on smooth, light edges in the picture (curbs, hoods of cars etc.), which are not present on the lowest power mode, "Save 2". It is only present on "Standard" and "Save 1". An authorized technician looked at it, saw the issue, but said it's normal and that there is no way to fix it in the service menu, or anything that can be repaired physically in the TV. He said that when a plasma does not work properly, the screen simply goes black.

I kept insisting, calling Pioneer and asking why the issue is not present in the power saving mode also, if it is a normal occurrence, and on a set marketed as "reference"? I can literally switch between Save 2 and Save1 or Standard, back and forth, and the artifacts go on and off like a lightswitch!

But I finally gave up because what else could I do? I had to believe them. Now I was reading these forums and I saw mentions of a voltage adjustment in the Kuros that makes blacks appear even blacker? And now my blood is practically boiling. Could this same method finally fix this?

Is this a voltage issue, and CAN it be adjusted? It really looks like there is too much voltage being fed and the edges are pulsating! These artifacts also disappear when I bring my eyes extremely close to the screen, about an inch away.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know if such a control exists in the service menu? Anyone with a knowledge of how plasmas work? I don't need a definite answer, until an actual expert can reply here, but just tell me if theoretically this could be the culprit. I'm sick of this, and I know I'm not crazy.

This mess gets even better. Before I noticed any artifacts, that same technician had changed values in the service menu to match the reference values that Pioneer suppositively calibrates all the displays in the factory to. I told him that Pioneer calibrates each of these sets individually for optimum picture before shipping, but he told me that no, Pioneer tells him what the values on ALL the sets should be. And I started noticing the artifacts soon afterwards. I asked him if he noted down the values my particular set came with, and he did not. And even if there is a factory reset option to get those values back, I would lose my ISF Night and Day calibrations? Which I cannot afford to redo.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that AVS is only good when the going is good.

Great blacks is all you have to say about this piece of garbage?

Oops, did I commit an AVS sin by posting something horrible and unacceptable about the precious Kuro's picture quality?

I didn't even mention why I had to call the technician the first time around. A red-push that even an ISF/THX calibrator could not tame (Not really visible to the eye, but knowing your picture is not up to standard is unacceptable) I could have bought a second car for what I paid for this joke of a monitor and its aftermath.

And I could have sailed around the world with the time I spent trying to get AVS to help. Denial won't make the Kuro look like a great monitor.

·
Banned
1,050 Posts
VOL SUS or the VS ADJ pot looks like they need to be raised.

Looks like your kuro doesnt have enough power to run the standard modes that uses more power Without artifacts.

Think logic.

Higher power modes = artifacts

Less power modes= no artifacts

What does that say ?

It can be your power supply aswell.

Weak and worned out?

But then the tv should turn off for low voltage protection

How does a 100% white field look like if you compare the power saving modes ?

·
Banned
1,050 Posts
It can also be a good idea to take pictures of the problems.

To many lying wannabe peeps at this forum so you cant read all **** posted here

So get your camera and post pictures

1 - 5 of 5 Posts