AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did any one see this movie without glitches? I am getting a lot of breakup and other glitches.

bb

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
They must have a bad VCR or something. Didn't people

complain about breakups when they were showing Shrek

last month?

Maybe someone should send them an HD head cleaner kit.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
The problem is the U.S. customers with recording setups are the only ones ordering these movies anyway for the most part. The run of the mill Canadian customers dont have the means to record them and dont bother simply paying to view them either in any large measure. Obviously if they were there'd be enough feedback to get it fixed. It's an issue thats almost never discussed on the Canadian DBS HD boards and when it is brought up, it's brought up by an aforementioned U.S. user anyway with virtually no responses.

The Canadian users just wait a few weeks and know the movies will show up on 285. Course there again, since they have to pay 20 a month to have the Movie package to allow them to see movies on 285, alot of them dont have that package either because it's only 1 or 2 new HD movies a month (and they still might have glitches) and thats a pretty good chunk of change to shell out for em unless they have cause to want to pay the 20 for the handful of SD movie channels it includes too.

Thats how I see it anyway after having paid close to attention to the provider and the users of such over the last year and a half.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DP1
The problem is the U.S. customers with recording setups are the only ones ordering these movies anyway for the most part.
And how does a U.S. customer with a recording setup 'order' these movies? Behind the euphemisms, it's a U.S. hacker who's using a Dish 5000 to record their PPV. It's not clear to me how a gray market U.S. customer with a 6000 receiver orders it either... but that's another topic altogether.

BTW, if you feed the 5000 modulator to the DTC-100's HDTV tuner the breakups on 285 disappear. Try it sometime. ;)

-Dylan

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dahester

And how does a U.S. customer with a recording setup 'order' these movies? Behind the euphemisms, it's a U.S. hacker who's using a Dish 5000 to record their PPV. It's not clear to me how a gray market U.S. customer with a 6000 receiver orders it either... but that's another topic altogether.

BTW, if you feed the 5000 modulator to the DTC-100's HDTV tuner the breakups on 285 disappear. Try it sometime. ;)

-Dylan
And they also seem to dissapear if you play back your tape through a 35K or a 30000U.....at least most of them do, there are still a few glitches left.

bb

·
Registered
326 Posts
Very interesting. It sounds like the timestamps in the ATSC transport stream may be slightly incorrect and some HDTV decoders aren't as tolerant of that.

I've been working on a utility to convert mpeg2/vob files to transport stream format so that the content can be played using HDTV decoder cards like the Hipix or even transfered to D-VHS and played back using the D-VHS or any firewire HDTV set top box. In my quest to create correct ATSC compliant transport stream files, I've found that changing the timestamp even a little bit or not having the correct amount of transport stream packets inbetween timestamps can cause stutters and skips as well as artifacts. The ATSC standard (really mpeg2 standard) requires that timestamps and placement of data in the transport stream be accurate to within 25 millionths of a second. Some decoders have a higher margin than this and maybe that is why they are better at playing these troublesome BEV streams.

If my guess is correct, all that would be needed is a utility to fix the timestamps in the BEV streams and perfect playback may result.

-- John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.