AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://news1.iwon.com/tech/article/id/322595 |technology|05-01-2003::08:44|reuters.html

I know this is old news but the article has an interesting quote,

Quote:
Artisan's Wells, too, said that the high-def DVD is targeted to a small market of users, but that there "truly is a viable market out there" that it is growing rapidly.
Good news for us.

·
Registered
961 Posts
From Variety:

In a DVD first, Artisan will issue a two-disc set of "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" with both high-definition and standard-resolution versions of the film.

The HD version will be about 3.5 times sharper than a standard DVD. But that much higher resolution requires a lot more horsepower to view it.

The "T2: Extreme DVD" can't be viewed on any current set-top DVD player. Instead, it will require a pretty powerful computer, with system specifications met by only a small percentage of machines right now, including a high-res screen, a Pentium 4 processor running at 2.8 gigahertz or better and a good graphics card.

The disc, which hits stores June 3, will cost $29.98.

Full Story

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Just not at High Def.,unless you wait to get a new DVD Player with Windows Media on them which start coming out in the summer and fall like from Polaroid and Panasonic.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Just not at High Def.,unless you wait to get a new DVD Player with Windows Media on them which start coming out in the summer and fall like from Polaroid and Panasonic,or a HTPC.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wtped
OK what are the specific comp specs needed?
There's been a very detailed discussion of this going on in the HTPC forum for several weeks ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=247116 ). Microsoft list minimum recommended system as 2.4GHz Intel or AMD Athlon XP 2100+ and an AGP4x NVidia or ATI video card with 32MB RAM or better. Though some have been able to run the demos on slightly less powerful machines, particularly if using AMD processors. (It works fine on my Athlon XP 1900+...)

·
Registered
89 Posts
wow, wait a sec... are you saying that people with less than a 2.8ghz have been able to display it? now are you talking about 720p content, which is what the other clips are at, and microsoft's media wmv9 gallery only have up to 720p content. This T2 movie will be in 1080Progressive, and will require a 3ghz, but recommended higher.

lol, too bad there aren't higher than 3ghz computers out yet. well, i guess we'll have to overclock. im gonna go rent the movie "standing in the shadow of motown" since its supposed to be just like T2 and it was released april22... gonna go check how smoothly it plays.

fyi, the wmv9 content runs at 19fps on my 2.7ghz P4.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
im gonna go rent the movie "standing in the shadow of motown" since its supposed to be just like T2 and it was released april22... gonna go check how smoothly it plays.
That's a very interesting statement that I had not considered or heard discussed. The DRM on the discs allows you to install it on your PC if you have the original disc. But does that mean that everyone that rents it can do this?

- Tom

edit: I think the Standing int the Shadows disc is supposed to be in a lower resolution than T2 so it will probably be less demanding to play.

·
Registered
771 Posts
No, it was only mastered from a 1080p master (same as the non-HD version that's on the DVD). The best we know right now is it is "720P or better"

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by iodsnips
lol, too bad there aren't higher than 3ghz computers out yet.
I beg to differ, since I just installed a Dell with a Pentium Xeon 3.06ghz processor, 1 gb ram and DVD+RW. Sweet machine...

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Why is this such a big deal when it is available on D-Theater? It blows this away. People who are interested in this would be just as interested in D-Theater. If D-theater can't take off consumer wise, neither will this unless there are going to be cheap players made.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Though I have the D-theater tape as well, I think this will be good for people that didn't spend money on a the JVC 30k. All they need is a fast pc which will cost just as much :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
2.6 ghz computer is the recommended speed for playback of the WM9 version of T2.

The WM9 version is supposed to beat the D-theater version and will be less expensive especially if you pre-order. First the source is supposed to be newly updated and this version is progressive so no vertical filter was necessary increasing the quality with respect to the D-theater version.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.