AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presently have a Pioneer Elite PRO-436PU in the family room. It fits perfectly into a media cabinet so no room for a size increase. I have had it for a couple years now. A great TV. It gets alot of viewing, 70% Direct TV HD, 30% DVD. Obviously over the last couple years we have seen the advent of 1080p and Blu Ray. My question is, at the 43" size, would I see a significant improvement in picture quality if I sold my existing TV and "upgraded" to the more recent Pio Elite 1080p model in combo with a blu ray player? Sitting locations in the room vary from 7' to 13' from the TV. Thanks for the advice in advance.

krfuquamd

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krfuquamd /forum/post/15447022

I presently have a Pioneer Elite PRO-436PU in the family room. It fits perfectly into a media cabinet so no room for a size increase. I have had it for a couple years now. A great TV. It gets alot of viewing, 70% Direct TV HD, 30% DVD. Obviously over the last couple years we have seen the advent of 1080p and Blu Ray. My question is, at the 43" size, would I see a significant improvement in picture quality if I sold my existing TV and "upgraded" to the more recent Pio Elite 1080p model in combo with a blu ray player? Sitting locations in the room vary from 7' to 13' from the TV. Thanks for the advice in advance. krfuquamd

Pioneer doesn't make any 43" or even 42" models any more, and even when they did none of them were ever 1080p. It's too bad because if they did make a sub-50" 1080p set, i'd own one for sure

If you must have a smaller size 1080p set, the Panasonic TH-42PF11UK Pro monitor would be great if you can integrate it into your system, or maybe the TH-42PZ800U consumer model. Both of these have great picture quality, and i think the black levels should be better than your older pre-Kuro model as well. The Pro model's picture settings can be more accurately adjusted than the consumer models, and it has more screen size options and more size adjustability too. The stand for the Pro model is optional BTW and costs extra, but is included on the Consumer models. Same goes for speakers.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts
In terms of video resolution, 1080p @ 42" from an average viewing distance of 10' will provide little, perhaps no, additional benefit.

However, if Pioneer comes out with a 42" PDP during 2009 it will produce much better black levels & more accurate colors than your current display.

If I had your set-up & did not have the following components I'd be looking more towards buying a Blu-ray player (hint: PS3 or BDP-S550), a new AVR (hint: TX-NR906) and new speakers (hint: Aperion (rather expensive)).

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I did not know Pioneer had gotten out of the 42" plasma business. 1080p is not a must because I agree with optivity on the minimal benefits with a 42" size and my viewing distance. I would however upgrade if the new TV provided better blacks and more accurate colors than my existing TV. Is a 42" from Pioneer rumored for 2009? Maybe I ought to wait. I am not unhappy with the TV I have. I do not have a Blu ray player in the family room at present. Just a Pio Elite DVD player running thru a Pio Elite avr to the TV. I have a PS3 down in the theater room. Would the BDP-s550 be a good choice if I wanted top add blu ray? I take it you prefer it. Would a new blu ray player do a better job with regular DVD's than my existing DVD player or would I just continue using it for DVD's and the blu ray for blu ray? Thanks

krfuquamd

·
Registered
488 Posts
what are the internal dimisions of the media cabenet as well as the dimisions of your current pioneer? The reason i ask is that maybe a 46" panasonic may fit in the area which are 45.5-46.5" wide depending on the model.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I would hold off buying a new tv until the new 2009 Pioneer models are out because they will be using Panasonic's new NEO panel so maybe they will have a 42 inch model in 2009?

·
Registered
3,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krfuquamd /forum/post/15447393

Thanks guys. I did not know Pioneer had gotten out of the 42" plasma business. 1080p is not a must because I agree with optivity on the minimal benefits with a 42" size and my viewing distance. I would however upgrade if the new TV provided better blacks and more accurate colors than my existing TV. Is a 42" from Pioneer rumored for 2009? Maybe I ought to wait. I am not unhappy with the TV I have. I do not have a Blu ray player in the family room at present. Just a Pio Elite DVD player running thru a Pio Elite avr to the TV. I have a PS3 down in the theater room. Would the BDP-s550 be a good choice if I wanted top add blu ray? I take it you prefer it. Would a new blu ray player do a better job with regular DVD's than my existing DVD player or would I just continue using it for DVD's and the blu ray for blu ray? Thanks

krfuquamd

I've been doing a lot of heavy research in the bluray market. For raw performance, the Panny BD-35 is best and is less than $300. The price has been climbing due demand/popularity. If you want bells and whistles with that, the Panny BD-55 is it. The Samsungs and Sonys are decent as well but the pannys are the best stand alones right now. The PS3 is still regarded as one of the best Bluray players out there.

Back to plasma, Samsung and Panasonic are your best 42" choices. I would wait a few months. Samsung is rumored to have a new line coming out and Panasonic sometime later.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I think you should consider a media cabinet upgrade as well. At your viewing distance, you could "go big" and get that Pioneer 60"er along w/that HT experience. The current models will be around until late in 2009, and there's some very competitive pricing going on. Roman on here has a power buy that would save you a lot...maybe even enough to get that new media cabinet.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discopaul /forum/post/15450110

he Panny BD-35 is best and is less than $300.

FWIW, while back, Best Buy had a screaming "Combo Deal" on their Panasonic Plasma's and BD-35. i got it new cheaper than it was selling used. PM me if you wanna know.

the BD-35 is AWESOME, even on old regular DVD's.

we just got rid of our entertainment center (max it could hold was 40 odd)

and put the PDP over the fireplace.

giving the entertainment center (and the old CRT) to my daughter, she's just starting out, a good deal all the way around.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for the interesting info and suggestions. I have 44" width available. No more. The cabinetry is built in. WAF dictates no above fireplace positioning in the family room. Already discussed and she won't budge. Have a theater room downstairs for the serious movie watching anyway. So I am limited in size by the above but I do want the best picture available to me. No real complaints with my existing Pio Elite just figured that after a few years the newer high end models might actually be superior in some way besides just being 1080p. Better blacks, better color, etc.. Was surprised to hear Pioneer no longer makes 42-43" plasmas and that they may be getting out of the plasma business entirely. I have always thought they made the best plasma TV's out there with Pannys a close second.

I would like to put a blu ray player in the room. Thanks for the suggestions. Would regular DVD's look better via a new blu ray than they do via my existing Pio Elite 59 avi? For info, I run all thru a Pio Elite 74 avr. Maximizing video quality surpasses audio considerations in this room.

krfuquamd

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/15461353

Better than the BDP-S550 ?

How so?

i got my Bd-35 NEW from a big box store under $200 (combo'ed with a new PDP), and i like the BD-35,

i read some reviews about the mechanism being slow to eject/load,

and it seems kinda slow to me, but i think we are spoiled by technology, and want every computer to do something RIGHT NOW.

it does a good job on old DVD's, also. the wife got STEEL MAGNOLIA's for Christmas, so i had to suffer through that last night, but at least the PQ was good

we watched part of our old regular DVD of "Gone in 60 Seconds" on our old DVD via Component INputs, and it was very fuzzy on the intro credits, and on

the BD-35, it was much sharper on the intro credits (the names were not fuzzed)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
BD-35 you can't go wrong with this player & for what it's worth Costco has a $50.00 off coupon in this months flyer/booklet/mailer & I think it was $279.99 so with the coupon only $229.99 & the Costco version comes with an HMDI Cable in it so it's really only costing you around $200 for the BD-35 not a bad deal.

I had already got one for my daughter & she tells me her's seems to load up just as fast as her PS3 does on the Blu-Ray discs that she's tried.

·
Registered
488 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip /forum/post/15465090

It isn't better than the BD55!

unless you don't need the analog outs of BD55 or divx playback. otherwise, its the exact same player for $100 cheaper (retail) and more if you find the 35 on sale.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts