AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just watched the new godfather blu-rays. having seen the film and the dvd about a zillion times i was full of anticipation on the restoration.

WOW colors were so far off i stop watching, pulled out my meters and double checked the calibration. Everything 20 IRE onwards was within DE

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaun /forum/post/15505334

just watched the new godfather blu-rays. having seen the film and the dvd about a zillion times i was full of anticipation on the restoration.

WOW colors were so far off i stop watching, pulled out my meters and double checked the calibration. Everything 20 IRE onwards was within DE

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
This is not a display calibration issue but a program production issue. Have you addressed your displeasure to the studio? It was announced in the press that Francis Ford Coppola and others involved in the original film were personally overseeing this Blu-ray version. James Cameron, Merchant/Ivory, George Lucas, and others have made substantial changes to the look of the video versions of their films and prefer the results to the original. Isn't there a section of the forum that discusses video movie releases?

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/15509959

This is not a display calibration issue but a program production issue. Have you addressed your displeasure to the studio? It was announced in the press that Francis Ford Coppola and others involved in the original film were personally overseeing this Blu-ray version. James Cameron, Merchant/Ivory, George Lucas, and others have made substantial changes to the look of the video versions of their films and prefer the results to the original. Isn't there a section of the forum that discusses video movie releases?

I dont mind the cleaning up of a few things or introducing better clarity to the overall PQ but in the case of SW IV, V and VI, I just wish ol George had not tried to put additional CGI crap in.
Meesah' Haiden Dat!

Outside of that, I like things presented as they were meant to be.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Remember ... it is a myth that what we see in the theater is always the definitive version of a film. It isn't.

regards

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/15511980

Greetings

Remember ... it is a myth that what we see in the theater is always the definitive version of a film. It isn't.

regards

Ya because after they get certified they turn the juice down to save electricity and the bulbs. heh.

C.

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Coppola also made "Bram Stoker's Dracula" darker-literally-for its Blu-Ray release.

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce /forum/post/15513627

Coppola also made "Bram Stoker's Dracula" darker-literally-for its Blu-Ray release.

Blu-Ray REALLLLLY leveled the playing field when it was chosen as the de-facto HD DVD standard.

Yeah, really leveled it - like Yankee Stadium did when it opened with its asymmetrical outfield - two-hundred feet & change to RF and four-hundred feet & change to LCF!!! It was a leftie's paradise!

Blu-Ray is just like that field: Benefitting a few while SCREWING the rest of us! You couldn't get me to upgrade my favorite DVDs to Blu-Ray at GUNPOINT! You can't make up how much it SUCKS.

HD-DVD's benefits outweighed any disadvantages by a far wider margin than does BluRay.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-6500 /forum/post/15516113

Blu-Ray REALLLLLY leveled the playing field when it was chosen as the de-facto HD DVD standard.

Yeah, really leveled it - like Yankee Stadium did when it opened with its asymmetrical outfield - two-hundred feet & change to RF and four-hundred feet & change to LCF!!! It was a leftie's paradise!

Blu-Ray is just like that field: Benefitting a few while SCREWING the rest of us! You couldn't get me to upgrade my favorite DVDs to Blu-Ray at GUNPOINT! You can't make up how much it SUCKS.

HD-DVD's benefits outweighed any disadvantages by a far wider margin than does BluRay.

HD DVD, Blu-Ray, and DVD are just containers. Aside from constraints on the amount of data that each can hold and supported codecs (the latter being almost identical between the two HD optical formats), I'm not sure what the containers themselves have to do with the quality of the data that's put in them?

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-6500 /forum/post/15516113

fanboy

·
Registered
825 Posts
I'm not sure "blu ray" had anything to do with any changes. It was the original film maker's decision to make changes, not "blu ray." I mean, Lucas made his initial changes on VHS versions of Star Wars. No one is angered as "VHS." He then made changes to DVD. No one is upset with "DVD." Not sure why people would get upset with "blu ray" when it really isn't that format's fault for any changes by the director. Kinda...bizarre.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't see why hd dvd owners hate so much on bluray?

Your format is dead.

Get over it and buy a bluray player.

Im sorry your invested money on the losing side but its gone, get over it.

·
Banned
889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio /forum/post/15517687

I don't see why hd dvd owners hate so much on bluray?

Your format is dead.

Get over it and buy a bluray player.

Im sorry your invested money on the losing side but its gone, get over it.

Because, aside from the specs - This time, the powers that be really picked the "Beta" of formats when it comes to a HD version of the shiny little disc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...l_disc_formats

It gets tiring hearing so many people having trouble with the movie menus on BluRay editions of their movies. So what if BluRay is higher capacity than HD-DVD? So what if its data transfer rate is faster? So what if it's freakin' HD???

I just want the same no bulltihs experience with the new DVDs that I've had for years with SD-DVD, that's all.

·
Premium Member
2,787 Posts
This thread has nothing to do with format - it has to do with choices made during the transfer from film to optical disc. Thanks for derailing it and taking us down the format gripe road D-6500 - that topic sure hasn't been discussed here before.

Back onto topic - I agree that it's frustrating to see directors mess with what we originally saw in the theaters. I'm all for added content that was shot but ultimately cut from the theatrical release when it adds to the story line or gives us a better glimpse into the character's heads. But content like most of what Lucas added in to EP4-6 really doesn't do anything but look completely out of place and mess with an already great movie without adding anything plot-wise. In the case of the Godfather, I noticed the "golden" look as well as some extra graininess that wasn't there in the DVD release, which were both distracting, but thankfully didn't detract from the great story line.

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/15518572

In the case of the Godfather, I noticed the "golden" look as well as some extra graininess that wasn't there in the DVD release, which were both distracting, but thankfully didn't detract from the great story line.

More graininess on the BR version? The graininess on DVD was distracting to me. Oh boy, maybe I'll pass on the Godfather in Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snash22 /forum/post/15518884

More graininess on the BR version? The graininess on DVD was distracting to me. Oh boy, maybe I'll pass on the Godfather in Blu-Ray.

I'm all for the extra film grain if that's what's there on the film to begin with. Blu Ray has a much higher res than DVD, so of course you should see more film grain. I'm just not a fan of there being added noise and grain from bad transfers.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael TLV /forum/post/15511980

Yes! It's that's 12th director's really best special edition cut. hah hah, just serious.

Annoyance aside I know of one case (Seven) where the DVD was the preferred version because they got more funding to neaten up a bit after being cut off by the studio (presumably for over-runs).

Fixed in post-post (telecine).

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some more blu versions i've seen that have been messed with somehow.

- Breakfast art Tiffanys. Seems the gamma has been increased. Old soft look is gone

- 2001. In the parts in the spacestation and on the moon it seems off.

it might really be better to stick to dvd and a good upscaler

·
Registered
214 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodosom /forum/post/15520197

Annoyance aside I know of one case (Seven) where the DVD was the preferred version because they got more funding to neaten up a bit after being cut off by the studio (presumably for over-runs).

Fixed in post-post (telecine).

The special edition version of the DVD is a high-definition master. If nothing was altered in the transfer to Blu-Ray, this version should be fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts