AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, received my Ascend 340c to match my 340 mains (JBL E10 side surrounds, N24 rear surrounds) this week as well as my SVS 16-46PC+

After some more tweaking last night (used Pioneer MCACC to calibrate, but DEF. needed some work with the SPL meter) I popped in Almost Famous (DTS) and it was AWESOME.

Watched Constantine on Monday after only MCACC calibration (eq off) and it was pretty good. The BASS was unbelievable, but something didn't sound right with the rest.

Well, my center (according the the SPL) was 3 db low.

I chose Almost famous because of the DTS track and a lot of music (altho 95% of my use is HT).

I def heard things I had never heard before.

The scene after Opie 1st meets the band aids, when he is outside talking to Peny Lane, I could actually here his mom doing the family whistle in the background.

I have seen this movie 20xs before and NEVER heard that!

Some passages in Sparks were new to my ears as well (right before Lester Bangs).

Scenes when they were playing in the stadium (Fever Dog), sounded just like a concert would if you were there, deep, slightly reverbating bass, spaciousness was all clearly heard. The detail from the Ascends is like nothing I have ever exeperienced before (altho I have never demo'd $3-5k speakers. These truly sound amazing (especially for the $$$$).

As far as the Bass, well, with this movie, deep and tight for the music, much tighter with music then I imagined it would be.

Constantine def. had some REEL deep bass that was unreal, but this was GREAT with music.

If anyone is thinking about an Ascend 340 + SVS combo, you WILL NOT be dissapointed. This is CLEARLY a HUGE step up from my JBL E80, Ec35, Dayton 10" combo I had 3 weeks ago.

As a side note, I really did not like how the Pio's MCACC calibrated the system. I did like it with te E80's, ec35 and felt the auto EQ did smooth out the midrange and set the levels, but feel it did not do an adequate job with the Ascends and needed the SPL to set properly for sure. I am def not using the auto eq for the Ascends, they sound noticeably better without it.

If you do not have an SPL meter, you need one!

All in all, this upgrade cost me some $$$, but I am EXTREMELY happy with it right now.

Have some more tweaking to do with my BFD for the SVS to flatten it out a bit more (maybe house curve it to), but I am VERY hapy with the setup. The upgrade is even better then I was hoping it would be.

Aside from swapping out my 4 surrounds with more Ascend's one day (no budget for that or for forseable future) and some more placement, BFD tweaks, my audio is done for a while (unless I hit the big lottery).

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Good deal. Glad to hear all the positive things on these speakers.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the 340s for the fronts, but want in-walls for the surrounds (room size issue). I was on the Ascend forum to get some feedback on what they would recommend to match and someone suggested ACIs and the guy from Ascend recommended Sonance (pricey though).

I could do the 200s in the rear if I really had to, but no way I could do the side surrounds.

Bud

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Comperbale inwalls are gonna cost you, their is no doubt.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog

I'm going to pull the trigger on the 340s for the fronts, but want in-walls for the surrounds (room size issue). I was on the Ascend forum to get some feedback on what they would recommend to match and someone suggested ACIs and the guy from Ascend recommended Sonance (pricey though).

I could do the 200s in the rear if I really had to, but no way I could do the side surrounds.

Bud
Here is a thread on the Ascend forum about another brand that an Ascend owner found to be a good match.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
The ACI's are $140 a pair, which isn't so bad. Would you go for the coax or the separate?

The sonance are $350+ for in walls non-coaxial.

Seth

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
right.

Think of a coax as a car speaker with the tweeter in the center of the woofer.

A separate is a regular box speaker with the tweeter mounted separately from the woofer.

Seth

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
From this thread and replies to other posts, I'm getting suspicious that mboy really likes his new speakers. :)

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Thanks for the clarification guys. Based on that, as Seth mentioned, I'd do the Coax for the in ceilings and separates for the inwalls. There is a model of Sonance in-walls. Model S622T that may match the Sonance S622TR in ceilings. What do you think? About the same cost wise as well.

EDIT: The links were modified when I posted. To view these, do a search on Sonance Symphony from the ABT Electronics site.

Bud

·
Registered
154 Posts
Why would you need to still tweak it with the SPL meter if you used the AutoEQ (MCACC)? What made you not confident in its results?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohd
From this thread and replies to other posts, I'm getting suspicious that mboy really likes his new speakers. :)
Yeah, I did not think I would enjoy them this much. Almost Famous (after precise calibration last night), really put it over the top. Can't wait to get out of work and go watch another DVD tonight :)

Constantine got me REALLY into the SVS the other night, but the Combo blew me away last night with Alomst famous.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Why would you need to still tweak it with the SPL meter if you used the AutoEQ (MCACC)? What made you not confident in its results?
I used the MCACC on Monday and after a day or so, it just did not sound right, so yesterday, I busted out the SPL and low and behold, it was off not onlyin the center, but slightly off on other channels as well.

Once I corrected it yesterday using Avia, the whole system sounded MUCH MUCH better.

MCACC is pretty good, but you realy need to go in and tweak with the SPL meter.

I also did not like the eq settings with my AScends (where I did with the JBL's), so EQ is set to off.

I

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Quote:

Bud
Just this week I got 2 pair of HTM-200's for surrounds (replacing some Inf Primus 150's) to go with the 340's I already had for L/C/R. I'm very pleased with the result: not only are the 200's better speakers, they are also much smaller and less overwhelming visually. I also got 'B-stock' (which presumably have some cosmetic imperfections in the cabinet, but I could not find them!), so the price was very reasonable.

I am just amazed at the clarity and precision of these speakers. For HT (my main use) one really does feel like you're in the room with all the conversation, back-ground noise, etc. My speaker situation is set for a LONG time.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Quote:
Millerwill,

I still may go this route, although my back row may be close to the wall. Maybe the Sonances just as side surrounds in the ceiling. Glad they worked out for you. I assume you mounted them on the walls?

Bud
Yes; the left and right surrounds are each about 6 to 7 ft from the listening area, and the rears about 3 to 4 ft behind. They had to be mounted above door frames, and thus a bit higher than ideal (bottom of speaker ~ 7 ft from floor). Dave (at Ascend) recommended mounting them horizontally, with the tweeter on the down side, and angled slightly downward. Looks and sounds very nice that way. Also (after checking with Dave to see that no damage would be done), I screwed some small brackets on the back (centered horizontally and near the top edge), and then mounted them on some secure wall hooks. The 200's weight only ~8 to 9 lbs, so it's no problem. It was all quite simple and came out very well.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-amp
Here is a thread on the Ascend forum about another brand that an Ascend owner found to be a good match.
Hey that's me!

The proficient audio in ceiling speakers are a great match to the ascend 340s imo. And the price is very reasonable. It didn't seem logical to me to spend $900 for 3 front speakers and $1000 for surround speakers. It doesn't fit the bang for the buck feeling ascend speakers deliver.

I feel the best part of the speaker design is the angle. The crossovers also appear to be well designed using decent components.

The house I installed these in is for sale. My plan is to swap them with the cheaper versions (c650) and install the c660s in my other house I like them so much. :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.