AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ascend 340's (2) + SVS PB10 (1) for 28ft X 14FT X Room? Ceiling is about 7-8ft. I listen to mostly music. Just wondering if this setup would be "big enough" to fill the room with sound. I like very very loud, clear and detailed vocal jazz, and some classic rock. (to drink my coffee to)

Would this setup be underkill?

thanks for any responses! rp

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I setup 340's and 170's and a Hsu STF-2 in my Parents' livingroom.....15x25x12....no back wall essentially making it 15x35x12 and for music it can get loud enough to where you have to at least shout to the person next to you, and has plenty left.

Just make sure you have good amplification.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for the 340's with the poss of home theater.....

right now i have a yamaha 5.1 reciever @ 75 watts per channel.

how many 340's did you hook up? 3?

and how many 170's? 2?

also how did the sub work in that space? could you feel the bass?

thanks, rp

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I am a HK and NAD fan when it comes to AVRs. I have not heard many Yamahas. The Ascends are not hard to drive, so any good receiver will do fine.

Yes...it is 340m's for mains, 340c for center, and 170's for surrounds. Running off of an HK 525. The STF-2 did remarkably well in that space, yes you can feel the bass, but put in the future I will put in a bigger sub.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If my calcs are correct, your room's >3100 cu ft, which is pretty big. I know the PB10's supposed to be killer, but I think you may need bigger to really 'feel' the bass. I took cschang's earlier advice to get as big as you can afford, and don't regret upgrading from a Hsu VTF2 (10") to a VTF3 (12"). Both sound good, but going to the 12" I can now really feel the bass. Plus, it's more future-proof in case I move to a larger place.

As for receivers with the Ascends, HKs really do sound good with them. From lurking the Ascend forum, seems like people are using all brands/types of receiver/amp combos with success. It really does come down to preference.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I agree the PB10 probably wont cut in a room that large, try the PD12-ISD\\V, the plus or ultra would be even better. You have a pretty large room and bass is the most difficult aspect in HT to reproduce cleanly and accuratly

·
Registered
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by technoreid
for the 340's with the poss of home theater.....

right now i have a yamaha 5.1 reciever @ 75 watts per channel.

how many 340's did you hook up? 3?

and how many 170's? 2?

also how did the sub work in that space? could you feel the bass?

thanks, rp
perhaps a digital avr like the HK DPR-2005 if you live near a Fry's they're $499 YMMV, the HK 635, the soon to be released Outlaw AVR or Pio 54TX..?!?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Quote:
do you think the 340's will cut it in such a large room?

thanks, rp
Yes.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Quote:
do you think the 340's will cut it in such a large room?

thanks, rp
Not a problem at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.