AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping put together a home theater system for some friends and I'm looking for opinions on two different setup options.

1) Ascend Audio: 340SEs Fronts, 340C Center, 180SE Rears. $1110 w/ stands new

2) Monitor Audio: RS8 Fronts, RSLCR Center, RS1 Rears. $1800 used

These will be going in a large basement (20 x 35 x 8) with a HSU VTF-3 HO subwoofer. Power will likely be coming from a Denon AVR-1910.

I have the Ascend Audio setup with two HSU VTF-3 MKII subs in my small basement and they like my setup (as do I!) It's what got them on the path to having their own HT.

The setup will be used nearly 100% for HT with a projection setup. Due to the projector screen on the wall and the seating configuration in the room the fronts will probably get placed about 1' from the wall. Browsing a few threads it sounds like the RS8s can get a touch boomy near walls. Would this be an issue with this sort of placement and a sub doing the low end work?

I know the MA speakers look nicer but since this is a basement home theater that isn't a huge factor. What sort of setup up in sound quality would the MA setup deliver? Would the extra $700 be better spent on another sub?

Any input on the subject is appreciated. Cheers.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
The Ascends will have no problem filling that space. I think you would be better off spending the dollars saved with bigger or more subs for that large space.

Is the VTF-3HO already in hand?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the VTF3-HO is on hand. Purchased of craigslist for $525.

We'll probably try the single at first and if they want more output we'll see about adding the MBM or a VTF3-MK3 if we can't find another HO.

There should be much of a problem blending a MK3 and an HO should there?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts