AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Need help, I'm working with a limited budget here and am looking for the best bang for buck. Right now I have a marantz 6300 and am looking at going two routes, either hooking it directly to rocket package 4-550 fronts, 200 center, 150 rears, or the other option is ascend cbm-170s all the way around and getting either an outlaw 7100 or or rotel rmb-1075 to power them. Speaking strictly from a performance perspective which option should provide better bang for the audio buck. Please let's try to keep this civil no flaming, I'd like to keep this tread open.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
I have the Ascends, CBM-170's and HTM-200's, and a Hsu VTF-3, with a Marantz SR4300. I think it is a great combo for the money. I don't think I could have gotten anything that sounded better for the money I spent.

If you want to get rid of that SR6300...I would be interested!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i had a pair of Rocket 250s and a 200 center hooked up to a Kenwood (vr407?), an Onkyo 600 and a Nad 761.

the rockets are, of course, nice speakers, but they really jumped in performance going to the NAD from the Onkyo.

the Kewood was actually just a notch below the Onkyo.

i had the Ascends paired with the same Kenwood, an HK520, and another NAD 761.

again, the Kewood delivered adequete performance ( relative to the cost of the reciever-which was somewhere around $200).

performance improved quite a bit with the HK (which CC was selling for around $800 at the time), and yet there was still a significant difference in quality and performance when i paired them with the NAD.

overall, i liked the combo of the NAD and the Ascends, and those were the speakers i went with.

i originally had a budget of $2000 for just the speakers alone.

by going with the Ascends, i was able to funnel almost 50% of the budget to a good reciever right away ( i ended up with a NAD 752 although i have heard that the Rotels mate very, very well with the Ascends also).

50/50 is not the proportion that is usally recommended, but i feel i made the wiser choice, and haven't regretted it.

the Ascends are considerably cheaper than the rockets, but the 'insides' are of a similar high quality, and you will definitely get all the benefits of using higher quality (re: cleaner, higher current) electronics with them.

obviously this goes the same for the rockets, but the truth is, even if the prices had been the same, i would still have gone with the ascends because their sound was exactly ( i mean exactly!) what i was looking for.

i just didn't find what i wanted in the rockets.

but you might.

most of the time, people will tell you, 'throw the majority of your budget into the speakers and don't worry too much about the electronics, casue those are always getting better, new features added all the time'.

i think thats bosh.

if you are comparing crap speakers to high end, that makes sense, but the ascends are flat out excellant speakers- not just for the money- period.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
tough choice...

both are fine speakers in their own right...ascend offers a great sounding speaker with no aesthetic bells and whistles that few if any manufacturers can match at the price...rocket offers a great sounding speaker with a beautiful finish that very few manufacturers if any can touch at the price...

i've heard the Ascend center channel and for the price, i don't think anyone can touch it...BUT it's a plain looking speaker which is fine if the appearance doesn't bother you...i've heard the Rocket RSC200 center and this thing is AWESOME looking finish-wise...i don't think anyone can match its looks and sound at the price...

you really need to decide what is important to you...sound or sound AND looks? AND decide which one sounds the best to your ears..these are questions that only you will be able to answer...best of luck...either way, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak
...most of the time, people will tell you, 'throw the majority of your budget into the speakers and don't worry too much about the electronics, casue those are always getting better, new features added all the time'.

i think thats bosh...
people only recommend this when the individual explicitly states that he/she is on a tight budget...if you're not on a budget and have the ability to buy the best speakers that you hear AND the best electronics then i'd recommend getting separates for whatever speakers your ears prefer. otherwise, spend the most of your budget on the speakers and get a lesser receiver with the INTENT to upgrade electronics as soon as funds are available to upgrade the electronics...just my opinion though...

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i think Mad Dog summed it up pretty well.

i would only add, the best piece of advice i've gotten on these boards was "ignore what other people say & trust your ears. when you hear the speaker that is right for you, you will know it".

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
While I'm a biased Ascend owner. I run the Ascends with a Marantz 7200 and it sounds great. Separates is my next upgrade that way I can keep the amp and just change the pre/pro as the next Prologic or whatever comes out.

Maddog- I want to be you. Not only do you get all the Rocket stuff first. You've already heard the new Ascend center. So, do I trade my 170 center in on it right away?

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
Tex,

Also an Ascend owner....and also heard great things about the new center. I am definitely getting it!

curtis

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tex-amp
...Maddog- I want to be you. Not only do you get all the Rocket stuff first. You've already heard the new Ascend center. So, do I trade my 170 center in on it right away?
Tex-amp,

Just to clarify, I have not heard the NEW center...just the old one...my friend was looking for an inexpensive quality center channel and I told him to buy the Ascend center which I thought was an excellent value for the price! Sounded great as well! I will say that my friend was quite impressed with the Rocket bigfoot center though...but he's very happy with his Ascend since it was so affordable...Happy listening! :)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Mad Dog- I guess I assumed since you're in So Cal that maybe you had Ascend connections too.

·
Banned
172 Posts
What happened to all the Rocket defenders on this forum?

There was once a thread on the speakers forum attesting to the exuberant excellence of these speakers that had well over 170 pages worth of posts on them.

Am I missing something here, or do these Rocket lovers only work from 9-5 on weekdays?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good question, I'll get to hear the rockets soon enough, found somebody on av123 who will be getting some in a couple of weeks who lives approx 20-30 minutes away. I figure and can listen to these and if they don't strike my fancy I can alway try the ascends it can't be that much to send back just 1 pair if I don't like them. If I don't, local is next option, either psb image or paradigm monitor. I figure out of these 4 I should be able to find one to suit my tastes.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
What happened to all the Rocket defenders on this forum?

There was once a thread on the speakers forum attesting to the exuberant excellence of these speakers that had well over 170 pages worth of posts on them.

Am I missing something here, or do these Rocket lovers only work from 9-5 on weekdays?
no need to defend them...the Rockets, like the Ascends, speak for themselves...both are great speakers representing great value...you gotta to listen and see them both in person to decide on which one is right for you...while the Ascends are great sounding speakers IMHO, their appearance isn't anything special...the Rockets are great sounding speakers IMHO, AND their appearance is simply AMAZING regardless of price. so if appearance isn't important to you, then the Ascends might be a logical choice...if appearance is an issue, then the Rockets might fit the bill better.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fourseasons
What happened to all the Rocket defenders on this forum?...
no one in this thread is wrongfully attacking the company or the employees, so there's nothing to defend...

and this is the way it should be...:)

·
Banned
172 Posts
In case no one caught my drift, I am not trying to bash the Rockets here, it is just that I thought 170 pages worth of posts on one single thread dealing with the Rockets, and mind you that thread started well before the Rockets even came out, more than a little aroused my suspicion of perhaps of some creative marketing at work.

And please don't flame me for saying this. I hereby post my white flag before anyone even starts bashing me for such sacrilege against the Rockets.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog
you gotta to listen and see them both in person to decide on which one is right for you...while the Ascends are great sounding speakers IMHO, their appearance isn't anything special...the Rockets are great sounding speakers IMHO, AND their appearance is simply AMAZING regardless of price. so if appearance isn't important to you, then the Ascends might be a logical choice...if appearance is an issue, then the Rockets might fit the bill better.
no kidding. The Rockets are 'catch your breath' beautiful.

it took me a while to even give the ascends website a second and third look because from the pictures of them on there- frankly i was turned off.

they immediately struck me as butt ugly.

i was surprised when i got them though.

i think the rounded edges saves them from being a real asthetic eyesore. when i got them out of the box i thought, "hey, these don't look bad at all".

turns out ashtetically functional was more what i needed anyway, since my basement HT is primarily DIY and reeks of "well i did the best i could" :D

No question, the Rockets are some of the best looking speakers out there -even at five times their price.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak
no kidding. The Rockets are 'catch your breath' beautiful.

it took me a while to even give the ascends website a second and third look because from the pictures of them on there- frankly i was turned off.

they immediately struck me as butt ugly.

i was surprised when i got them though.

i think the rounded edges saves them from being a real asthetic eyesore. when i got them out of the box i thought, "hey, these don't look bad at all".

turns out ashtetically functional was more what i needed anyway, since my basement HT is primarily DIY and reeks of "well i did the best i could" :D

No question, the Rockets are some of the best looking speakers out there -even at five times their price.
glad you said this ;)...but you're right...they are rather unattractive, but they are functional! :)

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Where can I get some info on the new ascend center channel?

Also, the stands that ascend sells aren't very attractive, anyone have any recommendations for some nicer stands for the 170s?

·
Registered
329 Posts
RaggedEdge,

Any 28"-31" stands will do according to Ascend. IMO, some of the better value in speakers stands are the Premier line of speakers stands. They are carried at any Paradigm dealer (don't know what the relationship between them and Paradigm are). They are sufficiently rigid and are fairly attractive (look at the S-30 30" speaker stands which retail for $99, but can be bargained down).

You can also look at the ubiquitously available Sanus stands like the NF30 (Also retails for around $100 but can be had for less from Good Guys, Crutchfield, Magnolia Hi-Fi and other chain stores) if you like wooden stands. They are attractive as well, though they give up some rigidity in comparison with metal stands.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.