Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I don't have a chance to hear either and wondered if anyone actually has A/B'd these together? I know they both get great reviews. I'm leaning towards the Ascend 170's because of the larger woofer.

thx

bob

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
spongebob....where are you located? Maybe you can find some folks in your area that have one or the other for you to listen to.

·
Banned
172 Posts
This is one of the friendliest threads I've ever come across. Keep up the good work guys!

And oh, don't forget to scan in some pictures of Bikini bottoms :)

·
Banned
172 Posts
Life is a many splendid things

Of all the memories of a lifetime resting on a sandy dune

Ever so vigilant of the tides of time that will wash away the last traces of a man

Upon the sand, one man leaves behind the footprints of yesteryear

Tomorrow, it will be the slate for a life anew

·
Banned
172 Posts
Of the great kings and queens of times long forgotten

Of the candles that burned ever so brightly in their days of glory and of loves forsaken

Of the tears that flowed down the cheeks of that lovely maiden, to whom age has been kind and gentle

Forever, the man moan to the passing of the great tides that is life

Nay, for what is time, without passing

·
Banned
172 Posts
Nay to the roars athunder

Yonder the hills find thy heart's yearning

It is the thunder's roar that man's heart craveth thus

The roaring that shaketh the earth, rumbles the land

Of what time the long days have passed

All that is left, are the footprints in the sand

Passing tokens of a yesteryear

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like my Axiom's. M60's. I have never heard the Ascends. The Bass from my M60's is as low as my JBL sub, and I am happy with my speakers. Hope I answered half of your question. I figured I would give you my input, since my poetry skills are a little crude, and would not be allowed on this forum. good luck finding the right speakers for "You".

·
Registered
499 Posts
bob, If you haven't already, look at the reviews at cheaphometheater.com. They are the only place I know of to compare the Ascend CBM-170 to the Axiom M3ti.

If you have any questions about the Ascends, fire away as I own a set.

·
Registered
986 Posts
No poetry here either, but you probably can't go wrong with either Axioms or Ascend. I own Axiom M22, VP150 and QS8's for my main system (along with a Velodyne VX-10 sub), as well as M3's for my bedroom. The Axioms are amazing speakers for the price, but from what I have read, so are the Ascends. You reference that the Ascend has a larger woofer. Keep in mind that the Axiom M22's have two 5.25" woofers, rather than one 6.5" woofer in the Ascend CBM-170s and Axiom M3's. I'm no expert, but I believe while there is some loss of bass from the smaller woofers in the M22 (which can be easily compensated for by a good sub), the two 5.25" woofers can help the midrange. Pick one brand and run with it, or try both and compare yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BradJudy,

Which Ascends do you have and do you use a sub? Have you compared them to others in the same size league?

thx

bob

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If you can afford it, and since you are using a sub, I prefer the M22 to the M3. In fact, I even prefer the M2 to the M3 when using a sub. I found the M3 to have a little extra mid-bass emphasis that slightly colored the sound, as compared to the M2 and M22's very neutral presentation. If you like a little more warmth/fullness in the mid-bass, which many do, then go with the M3.

Without a sub and in a small stereo system, I think most would prefer the M3 as the M2 & M22 can sound a bit lean on their own. The M22's advantage over the M2 is with the dual woofers & larger cabinet, they have better dynamics in the lower registers, and go a bit deeper too.

Tom B.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.