AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone utilize the 30 day return policy and audition these side by side? I posted this in the Receiver / Amps section on accident earlier, which could ( or could not) explain why it got no love. :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I haven't tried the Ascend speakers yet but I just received my level 3's last week. I couldn't be happier with the construction quality and the sound quality is great for the money. I have heard the Ascends at a friends house and they sounded very "bright" to my ear. It's really no comparison listening to a totally different room and source equipment. The HTD's are easy to listen to and image very well. I wouldn't call them the clearest I've heard, they have a warm sound. The Htd's are fantastic HT speakers but not the truest music speakers around. I am very pleased with this purchase and would reccomend Htd's as great budget HT speakers.

Good luck. Hope you find somebody that can offer you a direct comparison.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just curious, did you go the tower route, or the lvl. 3 mains? And what kind of receiver do you have running them? I am gonna start with the receiver and the l / r speakers. I am leaning towards the HK 230, but am really unsure about the speakers, as it seems the more I read about speakers and value, the less I know.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would be happy to try and organize a comparison at his house, although it may be a few weeks. He is in Australia on holiday. Would you still be interested in the comparison 2-weeks from now?

I have the Htd towers for my mains and I agree mid-bass is very nice. The rears are the level 3 bookshelfs and Htd's level 3 center. I am using a Yamaha htr-5550 75Wx5 receiver. My opinion is the Htd's would like some more power :) The Yamaha powers them fine though. Let me know if your still interested in a comparison in 2-weeks. I would be happy to oblige ya

:)

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
The HTD towers image very nicely indeed. Very "full" sounding and detailed. I want to hear your comparison also.

regards

·
Registered
214 Posts
No prob! I will email my buddy and get him on board with the comparison. Funny thing is that he is a Store Manager at Magnolia Hi-fi so he also has M&K and few other high $ speaks to listen to besides the Ascends. I will post back or Pm you when he gets back.

Cheers!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Well it's in Washington State but let me ask him if he wants that to be known first :) I just want to be polite. He only checks email 1 time a week until he gets back.

CSi

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Thats great as I am also planning to do the same comparison. I am pretty sure the HTD will beat the 170s for HT performance so my test is basically to check if the 170s can perform better musically than the Level 3 towers. If that is the case I may end up buying the HTD towers for HT and just a pair of 170s for music.

Regards

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.