AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the framing stage of my HT in my basement. I want to upgrade my speaker system. I like the Ascend 170s and 340 center, but I am concerned about the rear port design being a potential problem. I have to wall mount the surrounds speakers, but I need some options for the fronts. They could be ceiling mounted or put on a shelf of some sort coming off the wall. I don't want to mount them on stands due to toddlers having access to them. Will mounting the 170's from the ceiling be O.K. and putting the 340 center channel on a shelf with some room behind it and the wall? I have also, thought maybe it would be better to go with NHT type speakers instead that are not rear ported and just wall mount everything. Sorry for the ramble....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Wall mounting rear ported speakers is usually ok. Most wall mount kits bring the speakers a few inches away from the wall.

Get what sounds best to you and worry about mounting them later.

Have you considered getting the Ascend 340 mains? They can be securely mounted to custom stands from Ascend which makes them safe and secure like a tower. They even look like towers mounted to those stands. Then you'd also have 340's all the way across the front, with the 170's as surrounds.

http://www.funnyfarmcomics.net/tp24_grille.jpg

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
The stands that spiffnme mentions are also sand fillable, which would make them extremely heavy.

Ascend also sells wall mounting kits for the CBM-170. You can get the same kits from other places as well. I use the 170 as surrounds and have them mounted from a ceiling beam using a L-bracket from Home Depot.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the best NHT option I could recommend would be L5's all the way around. Very sweet sounding on-wall speaker as they produce very identical sound to the M5's. I have never heard Ascends. Really, just pick what sounds best to you, and you'll find a way to work them in. Where there's a will there's a way, especially in HT.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! I did not consider the 340's as mains on a stand. The fact the stands could be secured to the floor or filled with sand is a possible nice solution. It might be over my budget, but that's what HT is all about...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked on the Ascend website and could not find any stands for the 340's. Are they not released yet for sale, or is there another place to buy them and look at them?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You have to call them and ask for them. I believe if you buy the CMT340 as the center, they will sell you the l/r for $470 plus $140 for the stands and $32 for shipping. This atleast what they quoted me when I inquired.

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
They are not advertised at the moment for inventory control. It uses the same drivers and cabinet as the center version(crossover is slightly different), and the center is in high demand. So to keep up with the demand on centers, they chose not to put the L/R version on the website.

If you call, they will work out a package for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.