Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Portlanders, and anyone who's interested,

I talked at length yesterday with an engineer (Todd), from ASCN, Paul Allen's new sports network (orginally intended to be all hi-def, but read on). I had many questions concerning ASCN's hi-def broadcasts and its availability in Portland.

First off, he was very receptive to me, well informed, and frank. Right now, ASCN is close to closing a deal with ATT cable, but we all know they WILL NOT be carrying the HD signal. I asked Todd how I'd be able to see the Blazer games, etc. in HD. He said their signal is available using a BUD and KU band, which I've read here before, but doesn't help me much.... I'm tapped for $$, and have the DirectTv set-up.

Next I asked if it was possible to see these HD broadcasts using KGW's RARELY used 46-1 HD channel (for those of you elsewhere, this is our local NBC - demo loop city and Leno!). Well, this seemed like a new idea to him and he was very excited by it. While he can't say whether or not this can really happen, he did say he would take it to his superiors as a solution to this local problem.

Of course, I gave him lots of insight and info about this forum, and invited him to become a participant. He was not aware of AVSforum but said he'll at least drop by for a look, and once he was "less buried" at work, would try and join in some discussions.

Anyhow, at least from Todd's perspective, it seems they are trying to get Portlanders a way to see their channel, if not in HD, at least SEEN. I appreciated Todd's openness and he willingness to hear my ideas.

As a caveat, he pointed out that while they can send the HD truck to any Blazer game they're covering, not ALL facilities across the country can actually handle the cabling necessary for the HD cams. So even if they work out the HD problem here, there will still be some games shown only in SD.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I've been looking for some Blazers preseason games on KOIN-DT like they did with a few preseason Seahawks games. That plan seems to have fallen? KOIN, KGW, Watever- I'd really like some OTA Blazers in HD in the Portland area!

Dave

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had sent a couple of emails through their web site essentialy discussing the same topic. At the time, one of their managers responded back saying that they were in discussions with DTV and Dish. It doesn't look like they have gone anywhere with them either.

So whenever I hear broadcasters whine about no HD content, I have to laugh... Here is an entire network with some of the most advanced HD producing facilities in the States and they can't get anybody to carry their HD content. This is really sad.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I noticed on the ASCN Web site that the Blazers/LA opening night telecast on October 30th is not listed as being an HD broadcast....anybody know why? Is the ASCN HDTV truck somewhere else on that date?

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think that they have stopped noting HD broadcasts on their schedule because nobody but a few BUD owners can see it. Their live and tape delayed sports are being shot and shown in 16x9 and presumably in HD. I sent them a message yesterday asking whether the 16x9 broadcasts that are not noted to be in HD are HD or SD. I haven't gotten a reply yet. It is nice that they are telling people that it is available through a BUD. That makes me more comfortable about contacting them and asking questions.

Roy

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yea I hear ya...last thing in the world I want is for ASCN to start encrypting. The Fire HD telecasts I saw back in the summer were every bit as good as what I've seen on HDNet to date. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some of the Blazer home games in HD! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.