AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've been reading and researching, the aSimilator (with integrated DVD transport) seems to be virtually identical to Faroudja's DVP-1500, both in quality and features (actually, exceeding in this area with HDCP compatiblity), for about half the price.

Is there something that I might miss on the aSimilator which would make me want to go with the sickeningly priced DVP-1500 instead?

·
Registered
925 Posts
Is there something that I might miss on the aSimilator which would make me want to go with the sickeningly priced DVP-1500 instead?

other than the fact that the aSim isn't shipping, nobody's ever seen one in action, and nobody knows when anybody will see one in action. no. no reason :).

doody.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Why not a DVD player with DVI out into a Faroudja DVP-1000, which is more "reasonably" priced at $5K. There are two big downsides to the DVP in my view (and I'm a big Faroudja fan):

1) Only one set of component inputs and one set of DVI inputs. Say you have a DVD player with component outputs, and your HD box can only do component outputs -- you have to buy an external switcher to get both component videos into the box.

2) The DVI in the Faroudja is not HDCP.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The modularity / upgradeability of the aSimilator is potentially quite interesting, too.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
modular upgrades for more HD inputs would indeed be the shizznitobamshnipshnapsnap.

also, mdryja's idea modified and applied to the aSim would be tempting as well...get an sdi-modded dvd player, keep that sweetass all digital path in addition to all of your DVI inputs.

it'll be interesting to see how much more the aSim w/ internal drive costs versus the version w/o (although it would save some rack estate). An sdi-modded player might not be worth it; quite a niche market here in the states, with prices constantly rising...

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
My biggest fear is that my Panny 56 SDI modified will break down and I will have to go find another. They arent cheap. Having said that, It still probably cheaper to buy a SDI player than to go from Faroujda 1000 to the 1500. Dont know about the Assmillator, but I would guess that would be true also

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
So, IIRC, the gap from the basic aSimilator to the one with the DVD player will be on the order of $1500. The step-up will also have expansion for additional inputs and/or other interesting things.

All models will offer at least 3 DVI ports and lip-sync correction within the box.

Tom can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the basic model will not have expansion because that's what my notes say.

Of course, none will be cheap and Tom won't say when they are shipping. :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
There's also the old argument against multiple-function devices: if one of the functions breaks down, you lose the other function while the entire device is being repaired.

That said, I've never had a DVD player die on me . . . .

·
Registered
10,200 Posts
Quote:
shizznitobamshnipshnapsnap
You said it. If there's one thing I look for in a scaler, it's shizznitobamshnipshnapsnap.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
whatever happened to the NJ based integrated dvd/scaler unit...PV audio was it called? there were a slew of posts about it last year with hopes of user friendly development feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.