AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been struggling with sound since acquiring my new revo a week ago and almost regretting my move to an HTPC. Finally after researching this great forum, I discovered both the ASIO and simple kernel streaming driver for Winamp. With the Revo ASIO does not support SPDIF and both seem to only work for stereo content. By far the Streaming driver sounds the best since SPDIF works with it. I observed an extremely noticable difference with bigger soundstage, clearer highs/lows and better dynamic range. This makes me happy since it seems indistinguishable from my CD player (rp82) for music.

For Surround sound this is not true, however, and now I wonder when the following will happen:

1. When will revo support KS and/or ASIO via SPDIF?

2. Which DVD player will supply ASIO/KS support for Revo? I am using Theatertek and also have WinDVD. Will either of these support this?

Thanks and appreciate any info. I would feel much better knowing there are good things to come down the road. Thanks

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:
1. When will revo support KS and/or ASIO via SPDIF?
It already supports it for KS, as you yourself found out. Hopefully ASIO will be supported over SPDIF with a future driver revision.

Quote:
2. Which DVD player will supply ASIO/KS support for Revo? I am using Theatertek and also have WinDVD. Will either of these support this?
You don't need ASIO/KS for DD/DTS over SPDIF, those only apply to PCM data. You're not losing anything by not having them, the SPDIF passthrough for DD/DTS works fine, no kmixer mangling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doh! yes, it KS/SPDIF is already supported as I myself pointed out.

Didn't realize this was for PCM only. I'm not convinced that DTS/Dolby 5.1 sounds as good my DVD player. This is odd given that stereo sounds as good. Any idea what I might try?

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.