AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, but my last post on this subject (Friday) got no answer. Same result in the ATI newsgroup.

Here it is:

Is there any reason to wait for the promised ATI VGA to component dongle for the Radeon 8500 DVC, or will a transcoder do exactly the same thing or better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
When they announced that playing protected material (DVD) through the dongle would be limited to output resolutions of only 480 lines it got a very negative response. So negative in fact that it makes me wonder if the dongle will ever be released.

I personally wouldn't wait for it.

- Tom

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I agree, get a transcoder now and don't wait for ATi!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses.

Nobody suggests the (much cheaper) Audio Authority box? I'll spend the extra to know I got the better unit if it is truly better quality.

Once again, thanks.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Don't know for a fact, but forum says ------ Key Digital wins.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pawn
Thanks for the responses.

Nobody suggests the (much cheaper) Audio Authority box? I'll spend the extra to know I got the better unit if it is truly better quality.

Once again, thanks.
I have tried all three: RCA, AA & KD.

Key Digital wins hands down.

Lesson #1:

In life, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi All:

___We may have not heard the last of the ATI Component dongle just yet … The device will not play copy right protected Macrovision/CSS type media at anything higher than 480p but it will play non-protected media, games, and general DT apps (supposedly) at a scaled output most will find more than satisfactory. I have not seen it myself but have heard about it from more than one source now so take that for what its worth.

___As far as the transcoders, the AA 9A60 was better than the original KD units but not the latest per Karnis’ own discussion and use.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.