AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So the past month I started a couple of threads on speaker choice (One asked for Powered/Active floor standing Speaker choices and another one around non-active FS speakers for a tube amp I was looking at).

But I've come to realize this was the wrong tact, got lots of flack on here much deserved and wanted to try to solicit the advice/opinions one last time from a great forum.

I also wasn't sure where to post this -- Speakers or 2 channel audio. Am I permitted to do both??

Short background...Hunkered down in a suburb just outside NYC now for the past 3-4 months, I started to get the itch for a dedicated 2 channel stereo Turntable setup in our living room in May. After much research and twists and turns and immediate upgraditis, I've finally settled in and now own a Rega Planar 10 Turntable. I also own a Sutherland 20/20 with LPS phono and that's staying. Right now the phono is hooked up direct to a pair of ELAC ARF51 floorstanding speakers (all drivers powered by built in AB amps) which I like a lot BUT ITS HERE THAT I WANT MORE. Btw, I love the ELAC design of mounting the tweeter concentric in the mid driver -- makes sense to me.

So to swap out the ELACs, I will obviously need an amp, but I will figure that out later and want to focus on getting the right speakers for me for what I want. So what do I want?

1. Floorstanders. Close to full range as possible. No subs.
2. Looks count since in my main living room.
3. Speakers that prioritize Imaging Imaging Imaging. That disappear in the room creating an intimate but 3D listening experience. Clean (Accurate) warm sound. No distortion. I would easily sacrifice low end for untiring highs and warm mids I don't listen to metal or hiphop anymore so I don't need loudness, more like lounge experience if that makes sense. Apologize if I got the adjectives wrong but its personal description of what I'm seeking.
4. Price Point - -$10k-25k. Room is 22x18 with 25 foot ceiling

I would like to audition/demo before I buy and since I live in the Tri-State area it should be possible. But I'm finding that obviously difficult to do right now. I listened to a pair of Salk speakers but didn't love them. And have an appt with the Audio Doctor in NJ in two weeks.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far on my short list from recommendations and I can demo locally are:

1. Spendor D9.2
  2. Gershman Acoustics Grand Avant Garde
  3. Devore Gibbon X

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Warm:

Vandersteen
Sonus Faber
Magnepan

At these cost levels, it's all a matter of taste. Listen to anything and everything, have some fun. Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Warm:

Vandersteen
Sonus Faber
Magnepan

At these cost levels, it's all a matter of taste. Listen to anything and everything, have some fun. Good luck with your search!
Thanks there is a Vandersteen dealer near me so was told to reach out. Definitely a matter of taste, I listened to $12k Salks (which I'm told means like $25k speakers from a big ticket manufacturer) and didnt love them.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
1. Floorstanders. Close to full range as possible. No subs.
2. Looks count since in my main living room.
3. Speakers that prioritize Imaging Imaging Imaging. That disappear in the room creating an intimate but 3D listening experience. Clean (Accurate) warm sound. No distortion. I would easily sacrifice low end for untiring highs and warm mids I don't listen to metal or hiphop anymore so I don't need loudness, more like lounge experience if that makes sense. Apologize if I got the adjectives wrong but its personal description of what I'm seeking.
4. Price Point - -$10k-25k. Room is 22x18 with 25 foot ceiling.
No need to blow $10-25K unless you simply WANT to.

I'd look at the Wharfedale Evo 4.4 if I were you, $75 to ship back to Crutchfield if you aren't happy which I rather doubt. It has exactly the sound signature you're describing, at a miniscule fraction of your budget.

Even if there were no pandemic shutdown limiting your access to local shops, the fact remains that there is simply no substitute for a prolonged in-home audition on YOUR electronics, with prolonged listening to YOUR content, and most importantly---subject to YOUR individual room acoustics.

Vandersteens are nice too, if you have the space and WAF for their behemoth designs.

Salk makes some speakers with RAAL tweeters which you might like, and in furniture grade cabinets that would put you into 5 figures if that's what you really want.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No need to blow $10-25K unless you simply WANT to.

I'd look at the Wharfedale Evo 4.4 if I were you, $75 to ship back to Crutchfield if you aren't happy which I rather doubt. It has exactly the sound signature you're describing, at a miniscule fraction of your budget.

Even if there were no pandemic shutdown limiting your access to local shops, the fact remains that there is simply no substitute for a prolonged in-home audition on YOUR electronics, with prolonged listening to YOUR content, and most importantly---subject to YOUR individual room acoustics.

Vandersteens are nice too, if you have the space and WAF for their behemoth designs.

Salk makes some speakers with RAAL tweeters which you might like, and in furniture grade cabinets that would put you into 5 figures if that's what you really want.
Thanks Zorba. I felt like I need to throw a number out, cause when I don't esp on AVS, I'm asked "whats your budget, we cant help you without a budget yada yada". Damned if you do, damned if you don't right?

But sure what rational person wouldn't spend less if they got the same or similar result, but regardless I have that in my budget to spend so if it gets me to a better tweeter or midrange, or a more braced cabinet or delicate crossover or any or all of that, then its best to give a price point.

I will look at the Wharfdale and thanks for the suggestion -- its perfect to demo at home. Is Crutchfield like that on everything? Not that I want to take advantage of them.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Zorba. I felt like I need to throw a number out, cause when I don't esp on AVS, I'm asked "whats your budget, we cant help you without a budget yada yada". Damned if you do, damned if you don't right?

But sure what rational person wouldn't spend less if they got the same or similar result, but regardless I have that in my budget to spend so if it gets me to a better tweeter or midrange, or a more braced cabinet or delicate crossover or any or all of that, then its best to give a price point.

I will look at the Wharfdale and thanks for the suggestion -- its perfect to demo at home. Is Crutchfield like that on everything? Not that I want to take advantage of them.
Zorba, what about the Elysium 4? Still way under budget.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts

Yes, AFAIK Crutchfield charges $75 flat rate for return shipping on towers, $10 on bookshelves & centers.

Wharfedale does have a $10K flagship tower which probably sounds fabulous, but Crutchfield unfortunately doesn't carry it.

Only MD does, and they have a great 60 day return period but no subsidized return shipping:
https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/Wharfedale-ELYSIAN-4-Tower-Speakers

There might be brick and mortar dealers that carry them, you'd have to check the main Wharfedale website.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
Zorba, what about the Elysium 4? Still way under budget.
ha, looks like our posts crossed each other in cyberspace...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couldn't find any reviews on them yet since they only came out a few months ago, but here's a press overview:
https://www.whathifi.com/us/news/wharfedales-new-flagship-elysian-speakers-are-finally-available

8" woofers with a 3db roll-off at 30Hz and nice big AMT tweeter, with the trademark Wharfedale sound signature makes me drool!

If I ever get an urge for a quick divorce I think I'll order me a pair. :D
Yep, I just checked out Music Direct. They are just begging you to order it and if you're not 100% satisfied for any reason return it, cause they are soooo sure you won't. Just made my demo list. Order a pair too -- if she threatens divorce then send them back!

For the other demos , I planned to bring my existing speakers to compare - -the ELACs are about 50 lbs. I"m going to try and listen to 5 diff speakers and compare for myself.

So far its

1. Wharfedale Elysian 4,
2. Vandersteen (not sure the model, maybe Quatro Wood CT),
3. Spendor D9.2,
4. Gershman Acoustics Grand Avant Garde, and
5. Devore Gibbon X.
6. Zu Audio Definition MKVI (new speaker) -- what do you about the Zu Crew -- seems to have a strong following?

And then everyone raves about the Joseph Audio at that price point. Its crazy how many manufacturers there are hustling for sales and market share -- not sure how they all make it.

·
Registered
17,055 Posts
1. Wharfedale Elysian 4,
2. Vandersteen (not sure the model, maybe Quatro Wood CT),
3. Spendor D9.2,
4. Gershman Acoustics Grand Avant Garde, and
5. Devore Gibbon X.
6. Zu Audio Definition MKVI (new speaker) -- what do you about the Zu Crew -- seems to have a strong following?
Haven't heard any of those brands other than #1 & 2.

Apparently there are a couple of Wharfedale dealers in the NY area:
https://www.wharfedaleusa.com/pages/store-locator

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
At your price point, it would behoove you to get to an audio show. Unfortunately, due to current events, thea may not be possible in the near future. To tell you the truth, there are not many on here that have the budget for the speakers you have listed, nor have many heard them. We commonly try to get the best bang-for-the-buck out of our equipment.
Revel Salon 3 and JBL M2 are pretty much considered to be the best speakers at their price range; at least according the the Cult of Toole. The Paradigm Persona 9H might be worth listening to.
A pic of your room, with measurements, will help too. It would not make sense to suggest a pair of Magnapans or Martin Logan electrostatic speakers if you simply don't have the room for them.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
At your price point, it would behoove you to get to an audio show. Unfortunately, due to current events, thea may not be possible in the near future. To tell you the truth, there are not many on here that have the budget for the speakers you have listed, nor have many heard them. We commonly try to get the best bang-for-the-buck out of our equipment.
Revel Salon 3 and JBL M2 are pretty much considered to be the best speakers at their price range; at least according the the Cult of Toole. The Paradigm Persona 9H might be worth listening to.
A pic of your room, with measurements, will help too. It would not make sense to suggest a pair of Magnapans or Martin Logan electrostatic speakers if you simply don't have the room for them.

Medium-Large living room in the corner of the house so closed on 3 sides- ~22 x18 but with 25 foot ceilings so a ton of volume- not slanted 25 feet all around. I cant seem to get pics to download properly.

I have gotten a lot of responses over at Audiogon forum. Some 30 choices and interestingly none of them were for Focal, Revel or B&W. Putting them on a spreadsheet next and next cut will be those I can't demo either at showroom or someone's house. And your right, Covid and Cuomo's response has made it difficult for a summer project :( ....but NJ and CT are starting to open. Thx again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts