AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and I'd like to setup a audio system in my bedroom. My budget is around 350. I am a huge classical music fan and especially like symphonies. I don't this information is helpful or not but I am really into the sound of violin. I have a Audio-Technica AT-PL120 turntable, which has a built-in phono preamp but can be switched off. I'd like to use the system to listen music with both turntable and laptop and watch movies. I am thinking about getting a pair of bookshelf speakers and a power amp. Preamp, subwoofer and other things(I am a newbie) are optional, but I have the impression if I limit the budget to 350, the quality won't be good if I include those stuff. If that's the case, I will buy those things later with about 150-300 budget. My room is about 13X10 big.

I looked at Pioneer SP-BS22-LR and Cambridge S30, but realized it's recommended in 2012 and don't know if there is any better options now. So could you give some opnions? I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Pioneer SP-BS22 are great bookshelf speakers. You'll need an amplifier of some sort to power them. You could get a subwoofer, but for classical music you might be better with the SP-FS52, which run about $260 (can be found cheaper) a pair. The SP-FS52 are great speakers for classical. You could also get the Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy towers (FS52 modified for clarity and neutrality), which are $275/pr but this would leave you even tighter on funds for the amp.

I'm not sure what I would suggest for your amp, as I would usually recommend the Yamaha R-S201, but it tends to be quite bright when paired with 6 ohm speakers. I know that a less capable amp that is meant for 6 ohm speakers would sound more neutral.

Hopefully someone else will have recommendations for an amplifier.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Pioneer SP-BS22 are great bookshelf speakers. You'll need an amplifier of some sort to power them. You could get a subwoofer, but for classical music you might be better with the SP-FS52, which run about $260 (can be found cheaper) a pair. The SP-FS52 are great speakers for classical. You could also get the Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy towers (FS52 modified for clarity and neutrality), which are $275/pr but this would leave you even tighter on funds for the amp.

I'm not sure what I would suggest for your amp, as I would usually recommend the Yamaha R-S201, but it tends to be quite bright when paired with 6 ohm speakers. I know that a less capable amp that is meant for 6 ohm speakers would sound more neutral.

Hopefully someone else will have recommendations for an amplifier.
Thank you phillyd32! That's really helpful. With that range, how do you compare Polk RTiA1 with SP-FS52? I haven't decided floor/bookshelf yet. Polk RTiA1 is 8 ohm, easier to power?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thank you phillyd32! That's really helpful. With that range, how do you compare Polk RTiA1 with SP-FS52? I haven't decided floor/bookshelf yet. Polk RTiA1 is 8 ohm, easier to power?
The A1 are only 2db more sensitive than the FS52. Much more importantly is bass response. The FS52 are much more capable on the low-end due to the large cabinet and 2 woofers. The RTiA1 will not only have less bass, but pushing bass through them will muddy the mids.

Reactions: richx86
1 - 4 of 4 Posts