AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received my plasma today and kind of dissapointed about the Aspect Controls.

I should of caught this in the instructions.

It reads the following: :For a 1125 (1080) 60i - 50i -24P - 30P - 24sF, 1250 (1080 / 50i, 750 (720) / 60P - 50P signal input during "Component", "RGB" and "DVI" input signal, the mode is set to "Full" mode and switching is not possible.

So basically you'll be watching the source for what it is. 4:3 will give you black bars on the sides and there is now way to remove them by adjusting the aspect. The Sat rec. mode can change, but only on SD content, not a HD 1080 feed. So much for the DVI blade I have on the way.

Currently using Sat. on component using the Pr/Cr/R Pb/Cb/B Y/G until DVI blade arrives.

Anyone else bummed about this??

· Registered
5,180 Posts
Thats typical for all HDTV displays I've seen, they all lock to FULL mode with an HD input since HD programming is supposed to always be 16:9 widescreen, never 4:3.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Joxer
Thats typical for all HDTV displays I've seen, they all lock to FULL mode with an HD input since HD programming is supposed to always be 16:9 widescreen, never 4:3.
When the networks such as NBC/CBS HD have most of their non-HD programming on, you get the 4:3 and it is very sharp but your not able to stretch it. When there is a broadcast in HD, hold on to your seat. Feels like I was in Leno's audience. I just wish Dave would go HD.

I don't mind the 4:3 on non-HD broadcasts, but it would be nice to tweak the bars out of the picture. The only solution is to watch same program on the non-HD feed to fill the screen, but loose picture quality.

· Super Moderator
22,005 Posts
There is one other way to stretch 4:3 HD material to 16:9 but only if you have a Sony HD300 DSS stb

This stb has a wide mode setting that does a pretty good job stretching 4:3 HD material to widescreen: I think it is the only stb with this capability

I think it can do it on both component video and DVI outputs at all resolutions including 1080i

· Registered
381 Posts
My SA3250 HD is able to stretch 4:3 HD material but the stretch modes employed by the stb are much inferior to those on my panny. In short, the same 4:3 program looks much better with an sd siganal and then in Just mode on the panny.

· Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tobwco
Received my plasma today and kind of dissapointed about the Aspect Controls.

I should of caught this in the instructions.

It reads the following: :For a 1125 (1080) 60i - 50i -24P - 30P - 24sF, 1250 (1080 / 50i, 750 (720) / 60P - 50P signal input during "Component", "RGB" and "DVI" input signal, the mode is set to "Full" mode and switching is not possible.

So basically you'll be watching the source for what it is. 4:3 will give you black bars on the sides and there is now way to remove them by adjusting the aspect. The Sat rec. mode can change, but only on SD content, not a HD 1080 feed. So much for the DVI blade I have on the way.

Currently using Sat. on component using the Pr/Cr/R Pb/Cb/B Y/G until DVI blade arrives.

Anyone else bummed about this??
Very bummed! :(

I was going to pair a 42PWD7UY with an HR10-250 (D*/TiVo STB), feed the PDP 1080i, strongly believing, from pouring over the posts in this forum, that 4:3 could be "stretched" to 16:9 in "Just" mode.

Very bummed indeed

· Registered
180 Posts
Hook up an S-video cable to your STB and use Just mode for SD viewing. How hard is that?

My cheapo RPTV does a better job upconverting SD than my STB or the networks anyhow. Maybe I'm just lucky but I bet your Pannie will do a better job as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.