AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to watch SD cable and broadcast (4:3 ratio) at my tv's native aspect ratio (16:9) without the images being stretched. It bothers me when the images are all stretched out, and i dont want to have to switch back and forth between aspect ratios in my tv's menu. I am very unfamiliar with upscaling and upconverting, but I assume that those technologies only work within the same aspect ratios. i.e. 720p at 16:9 to 1080p at 16:9. correct me if I'm wrong. is there any device or AVR settings that allow me to watch SD 4:3 material in either SD 16:9 or HD 16:9 by adding its own black bars to the sides of the screen. I notice that some of the HD cable channels display HD 4:3 programing in 16:9 where there are the black bars on both sides of the screen. At least it would not be distorted. If not, can my TV just switch back and forth between aspect ratios without me switching it? Also, can my receiver upscale SD 4:3 to HD 4:3? Sorry for my ignorance. All this new technology can be a little overwhelming.

my setup- Bresnen cable box >HDMI> pioneer VSX-9040 AVR >HDMI> Samsung 6000 series LED TV.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts