·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I have the following:

Mits 46" HDTV (16:9)

HDTV via TWC (General Instruments box)

I've noticed some strange issues regarding overscan and underscan of various HDTV stations and was wondering if anyone could help me understand what is going on and what, if anything, I can do to correct the picture.

When tuned to any of the premium movie stations the picture is very sharp and seems correctly sized for the TV. On certain college football games brodcast on the Networks - those HDTV broadcasts sponsored by Mitsubishi or Samsung - everything seems fine.

As I sit here watching Monday Night Football on ABC I notice some problems that I seem to have with just the ABC feed. The picture is a bit off-center on the screen horizontally - there is a narrow black band on the left of the screen, none on the right. In addition, the bottom ~5% of the picture is off the screen - 10% of the ABC logo is off the bottom screen and many of the titles (scores, graphics,etc) are cut off. It also appears that I'm missing part of the top of the picture, but it's not as noticable.

Any ideas as to what may be causing this?

Thanks,

Ski

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
if you are watching ABC-DT then that is normal. here in Houston, these "engineers" zoom in on 4:3 stuff because they think a filled screen is more important than lost res.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
Mitsubishi SR-HD400 HDTV Decoders>
DirecTV HDs>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know why you are getting the black band on the left. Your TV may need adjustment or possibly there is a problem with your STB...

As for missing information at the bottom of the picture, you are not watching HDTV on MNF. It is an upconverted NTSC signal. The source is 4/3 that has been "reformatted" to fit your display. This means cutting off some of the top and bottom and also stretching the picture horizontally. Look at the ABC logo and I think you will see that it is oval, a result of the stretching.

Hopefully ABC will go back to HD on MNF next year when there are more HD receivers in homes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.