AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Hitachi 53SDX01B and just bought a Toshiba DST3000 STB. I find if I set the TV to 4:3 and watch either DTV's HBO (509) or HDNet (199), after a few minutes the TV will automatically switch back to 16:9 and add the grey bars on the top and bottom. This never happened with my old DTC-100 and it's starting to really frustrate me. When it makes the switch, the screen blacks out for a couple seconds and reappears as 16:9. I can go back on my remote and switch it back but it just does it again in a little while. To clarify, this is the TV aspect ratio changing, not the aspect ratio of the STB.

I would appreciate any input on this problem. A solution would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a similar problem at times with my Panasonic PT56WXF95. Repair guys have never seen it because all is well when they come out. Therefore it never got fixed.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I also had the same problem when I first received my Panasonic PT56WXF95. I had a service tech come out and remove a very small circuit off of one of the boards, and the problem was resolved.

Kusamba...this is a known problem on our Panasonic sets. I talked about this with a few others when I first saw the problem in February of 2000, and Panasonic had a resolution in writing that my service tech brought with him. Get them back out there to fix this unless its gone away entirely.

Chris

·
Registered
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snakes:
I have a Hitachi 53SDX01B and just bought a Toshiba DST3000 STB. I find if I set the TV to 4:3 and watch either DTV's HBO (509) or HDNet (199), after a few minutes the TV will automatically switch back to 16:9 and add the grey bars on the top and bottom. This never happened with my old DTC-100 and it's starting to really frustrate me. When it makes the switch, the screen blacks out for a couple seconds and reappears as 16:9. I can go back on my remote and switch it back but it just does it again in a little while. To clarify, this is the TV aspect ratio changing, not the aspect ratio of the STB.

I would appreciate any input on this problem. A solution would be ideal.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
I have the Hitachi 43FDX01B, and I too have experienced the same issue. I've been under the impression that it was inherent in the set design, that it would default to displaying 1080i signals in letterboxed 16x9 mode. We could temporarily override it with the Aspect button on the remote, but that any glitch in the signal, or any change in mode, such as changing to a 4:3 channel from a 16:9 channel, would drive the set back to letterbox mode.

I don't know if there's anything we can do about it.

Roger in DTW

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's a case of going back to it's default, it's interesting that it never happened in the 8 month's I used the DTC100 with the set. Without doubt, I'll be contacting Hitachi soon!!!

Thanks for the information, it will help me in discussing it with them.

Steve

·
Registered
42 Posts
I also had this problem, but with a Panasonic 56wxf95a.

THE SERVICE REP. had no idea how to fix it until he called the factory. The solution was to remove one resistor that was allowing a voltage leak.

RICHARD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the Sears Service folks coming out Saturday. I'll post the results. I would hate to have to upgrade to the 53SWX at minimal cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.