AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a critical factor for my wife in selecting a new TV. She is less than satisfied with most stretching modes but wants to have the option of several being available for various types of viewing material.

Reading several reviews, it seems the majority of sets will only allow changing the aspect ratio for 480i sources, with no options for 480p and above. However, it appears the Hitachi 65XWX20B and the Sony GWII LCD both have modes available for both 480i and 480p, but not 720p or 1080i. Still, this is a big improvement, as it allows some degree of cropping options for 2.35:1 movies.

Even better would be a set that allowed adjustment of HDTV (720p and/or 1080i) signals so that 4:3 HDTV programming that is shot in a letterbox format for 4:3 does not get shown on my 16:9 TV with black bars on all four sides of the image. :( From what I can gather, the Sammy HLM617W may be able to do this. Can anyone confirm?

Another key is the ability to save manual setup parameters either by input or by display mode. Some offer to save by input, others allow only saving by display mode (movies, sports, bright room, etc.). Really poor sets only allow a single, global setting to be saved.

I'm wondering how the new Panny 50LC13, Hitachi 50V500, Sony GWIII, and Sammy DLP sets fare in these regards. Since most web sites and salesmen don't have a clue about either subject, I'm interested to hear from owners on this forum, who are clearly the best-informed bunch of reviewers out there.

Thanks,

HDD

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
You are reading some old reviews. Most all new sets allow for aspect ratio control on all sources. This is all documented in the user's manuals of each set. Do some research on your own and don't just go by reviews.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I am not reading old reviews. Check the very latest Sound and Vision (Oct 2003). Users manuals for new sets are generally not available on line. Go check the RCA Scenium site, Panasonic.com, or Hitachi, they do not have manuals posted for either of their new DLP sets, the 50LC13, or the 50V500, respectively. The info available from these sites is very limited and open to interpretation, which is why I am asking for input from this forum.

Example: 50LC13 product features at Panasonic.com:

Video Input Picture Memory Yes (Standard, Cinema, Vivid)

Selectable 4:3 Scan Mode Yes

So, is the picture memory linked to the input or to the video mode? Can't tell from the above. Are selectable aspect modes only available for 4:3 sources? Which 4:3 sources? Can't tell from the above.

Samsung does have the 617W manual online, and it says that all aspect modes are only available for 480i sources. With 480p you get just 2, and there are no choices with 1080i (page 58). So your claim that all input types have control modes is also not correct.

Anyone have some real info on this?

HDD

·
Registered
27 Posts
HardDrive,

This is not a direct answer to your question, but perhaps it will be helpful. I was very pleasantly surprised by the 4:3 stretch mode of my Sammy HLN507W. One of the reason I bought a DLP was so that I could watch 4:3 material non-stretched without screen burn worries. It turns out, I ALWAYS watch 4:3 in the Sammy's "Panorama" mode (middle of the screen is non-stretched, sides are stretched.)

The same "mode" on the Hitachi (51SWX) was lousy. Stretching was obvious and top and bottom of the screen was cut off.

Alas, I don't have access to HD material, so I can't talk about anything but 480i sources.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the mits 65413 model. In 480i/480p I can stretch the image so many different ways its sick... but in 1080i I only have 2 options, normal and expand. No stretch or stretch plus, which is kind of bizzare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.