AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a bunch of scalers advertising aspect ratio control. What is exactly is this?

Does this allow me to take my 2.35:1 DVD and make it fill my plasma? Or can I set the scaler to 720p and then play my full screen movies back sized to 4:3? Do the scalers usually have set aspect ratio's or does it mean they have lots of sizing?

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Aspect ratio control is the flexible ability to do aspect ratio conversion.

One example of aspect ratio control would be the upconversion of non-anamorphic DVD's to 16:9. This is useful for your plasma display.

Advanced aspect ratio control can allow you to do constant-height varying-width projector setups, where you want your 4:3, 16:9 and 2.35:1 images to have a constant height and varying width. Another is a top-masking projector screen setup, where you can bottom-align the active image of any aspect ratio DVD, to the bottom of a 4:3 or 16:9 screen that has top-masking capability.

Other advanced aspect ratio control features may also be able to do what you say - crop a 2.35:1 DVD to a 16:9 display, or vertically stretch a 2.35:1 DVD to fill a 16:9 display. Although OAR purists will yell "sacrilege!" to this.

Many scalers at least have rudimentary aspect ratio control features. Only a very few of them have the more advanced aspect ratio control features.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Hi,

Not if the scaling is very good.

Non-anamorphic DVD's look like anamorphic, the best non-anamorphic DVD's can look better than the worst anamorphic DVD's, depending on the way they were originally mastered.

Of course, the best anamorphic DVD's will always look sharper than the best nonanamorphic DVD's, but the difference is no longer dramatic like on some TV's that enlarges the scanlines (zooming a nonanamorphic DVD image without scaling it)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.