AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pio 4312 with the Comcast 6412 HD/DVR Box. When watching a digital channel that is not true HD, I can set the Pio to "wide" mode and fill the screen to eliminate the black bars on the sides.

I am really interested in the new, soon to be released Panny 50" HD 8UK. From what I've read, the previous Panny's would not allow this type of broadcast to fill the screen.

I've tried to get a handle on this from reading other threads. Can any one help clarify and/or advise solutions?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Don't know if the new Panny industrials have HD stretch.

Another thing to consider is the effectiveness of the stretch modes. In my experience, Pio does a significantly better job in providing natural looking stretch modes for SD (cinema and, to a slightly lesser degree, wide) while Panny's just mode does not look at all natural to my eyes.

·
Premium Member
18,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theueck
I have a Pio 4312 with the Comcast 6412 HD/DVR Box. When watching a digital channel that is not true HD, I can set the Pio to "wide" mode and fill the screen to eliminate the black bars on the sides.

I am really interested in the new, soon to be released Panny 50" HD 8UK. From what I've read, the previous Panny's would not allow this type of broadcast to fill the screen.

I've tried to get a handle on this from reading other threads. Can any one help clarify and/or advise solutions?
Panasonic historically doesn't offer HD stretch or zoom on any of their plasmas. The ED 8UK doesn't so i presume the HD 8UK will not either. This is one of the biggest disappointments i have with Panny plasmas (mine included).

The Pio clearly has the edge in this department !

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought I had read your comments (re: Panny stretch limitations etc.) in another post but couldn't locate them.

Appreciate your reply.

Ken

·
Banned
2,166 Posts
Panny does not allow the 1080i stretch.

This has been pooh-poohed by the Panny fans on this board, but to some (including me) it is a big deal because 100% percent of my TV viewing is digital and 80% of it 4:3 upconverted to 1080i by my Zenith box.

You could get an STB that does the 1080i stretch or fumble with your STB and switch it to 480p when watching 4:3 digital programming if Panny's your display and you don't want burn-in.

Major PITA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.