AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hitachi 42HDS52 and when watching most channels, it appears that small parts of the sides of the screen are cutoff...for example, if im watching INHD, it only shows the IN on the right side of the screen.....i then flipped it over to American Chopper and they went from one day to the next and it said "Friday" on the bottom left of the screen but all i saw was "day"....i have checked and its set on 16:9 and not stretched....is this odd?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,775 Posts
It sounds like you may have your overscan set fairly high, meaning the edge of the image is bleeding off the viewable space of your TV.


I'm not sure if your TV allows user changes to the overscan, but if it does, you might want to take a look into reducing it. Not only will that bring your entire picture (or more of it) on screen, it may actually make the image look crisper and sharper, since more information is being packed into a smaller space.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylstacy
I have a Hitachi 42HDS52 and when watching most channels, it appears that small parts of the sides of the screen are cutoff...for example, if im watching INHD, it only shows the IN on the right side of the screen.....i then flipped it over to American Chopper and they went from one day to the next and it said "Friday" on the bottom left of the screen but all i saw was "day"....i have checked and its set on 16:9 and not stretched....is this odd?
Does "most channels" mean non-HD as well as HD channels? What kind of HD STB are you using? How is it connected to the TV?


It sounds like the STB is set incorrectly - some of em have a ZOOM or STRETCH mode which will Zoom or Stretch the HD image regardless of what the TV is set to. On my SA8000HD, pushing the # key changes the STB output between Normal, Stretch, and Zoom. Maybe yours has the same ability?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Does "most channels" mean non-HD as well as HD channels? What kind of HD STB are you using? How is it connected to the TV?


It sounds like the STB is set incorrectly - some of em have a ZOOM or STRETCH mode which will Zoom or Stretch the HD image regardless of what the TV is set to. On my SA8000HD, pushing the # key changes the STB output between Normal, Stretch, and Zoom. Maybe yours has the same ability?
I have a motorola Dual tuner DVR and HD box from Comcast. there are no menu settings for any overscan or zoom but there is a button for HD zoom on the comcast remote that doesnt do anything. Suggestions?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylstacy
I have a motorola Dual tuner DVR and HD box from Comcast. there are no menu settings for any overscan or zoom but there is a button for HD zoom on the comcast remote that doesnt do anything. Suggestions?
So are you saying you have a Motorola DVR and an HD box? What brand/model is your HD box, and how is it connected to the TV? How does the Motorola DVR factor into this, and is it an HD DVR? Is your problem with the DVR or the HD box? Actual MODEL NUMBERS would be a big help here.


Are you sure there isn't a menu in your HD box that lets you choose the type of TV you have (4:3 vs 16:9)? My SA8000HD does and when i bought my plasma i had to change the setting to properly display the signal on my new TV.


Another possibility is your TV is stuck in ZOOM mode or sumthin. Is there a way to check which stretch mode the TV is in when the HD image is stretched off the screen? What does it say? Is it in Zoom mode or Full or Normal or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
So are you saying you have a Motorola DVR and an HD box? What brand/model is your HD box, and how is it connected to the TV? How does the Motorola DVR factor into this, and is it an HD DVR? Is your problem with the DVR or the HD box? Actual MODEL NUMBERS would be a big help here.


Are you sure there isn't a menu in your HD box that lets you choose the type of TV you have (4:3 vs 16:9)? My SA8000HD does and when i bought my plasma i had to change the setting to properly display the signal on my new TV.


Another possibility is your TV is stuck in ZOOM mode or sumthin. Is there a way to check which stretch mode the TV is in when the HD image is stretched off the screen? What does it say? Is it in Zoom mode or Full or Normal or what?
It isnt a DVR issue and i dont have the specific model number. The Comcast remote has HD zoom button on it but i found out that it was only for the Scientific Atlanta boxes, not the one i have. The TV itself is in standard 16:9 mode, not zoom...i can toggle through them all and have done so to double check that i am on the correct setting. Comcast just called and is on their way there anyway so i will have him take a look....The other question i have (apparently it got deleted or moved on the forums) is how do i get higher than 480i resolution? I have it connected to my cable box via component cables.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
"motorola Dual tuner DVR and HD box from Comcast"


Connection to PDP from STB must be component or better


1) Power the STB off using the remote

2) Hit the menu button on the remote

3) Set TV TYPE = 16:9

4) Set HDMI/Ypbpr OUTPUT = 720P

5) Set 4:3 OVERRIDE = 480i or 480p

6) Hit the menu button on the remote

7) Power the STB on using the remote

8) Enjoy!


If the issue is actually overscan then the display itself must be adjusted if possible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylstacy
It isnt a DVR issue and i dont have the specific model number. The Comcast remote has HD zoom button on it but i found out that it was only for the Scientific Atlanta boxes, not the one i have. The TV itself is in standard 16:9 mode, not zoom...i can toggle through them all and have done so to double check that i am on the correct setting. Comcast just called and is on their way there anyway so i will have him take a look....The other question i have (apparently it got deleted or moved on the forums) is how do i get higher than 480i resolution? I have it connected to my cable box via component cables.
Well since you don't know what is causing the problem how can you say for certain that it's not a DVR issue? You don't know anything about the DVR, and since it's outputting 480i it appears that you don't know how to set it up properly so i still think it's a DVR issue which is much more likely than a defective TV.


I wanted to know what mode the TV was reporting when the problem was happening so we can determine if it is in fact an incorrect setting on the DVR, or if it's an overscan problem on the TV itself. We ask specific questions because we need to be able to narrow down your problem but you don't seem to want to help us help you. So let the cable guy handle it. I refuse to believe that TV is defective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,345 Posts
I'd set output to 1080i to see if that makes a difference, it might be easier for the cable company to transmit all HD channels as 1080i, regardless of the actual source. Also, scaler in your display will most likely be more capable of handling a 1080i signal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
Well since you don't know what is causing the problem how can you say for certain that it's not a DVR issue? You don't know anything about the DVR, and since it's outputting 480i it appears that you don't know how to set it up properly so i still think it's a DVR issue which is much more likely than a defective TV.


I wanted to know what mode the TV was reporting when the problem was happening so we can determine if it is in fact an incorrect setting on the DVR, or if it's an overscan problem on the TV itself. We ask specific questions because we need to be able to narrow down your problem but you don't seem to want to help us help you. So let the cable guy handle it. I refuse to believe that TV is defective.
Get off of your high horse. I didnt give you the model number because i didnt have it. you think im playing some game here? i was just asking questions. I was simply wondering if anyone had ran across this issue before and that i may be able to get an answer without jotting down the model numbers. Its not a DVR issue because it happens when the DVR isnt in use. I never said it was a defective TV so im not sure where you got that. I hope you are in better spirits for the upcoming holidays. I'd hate to really see what ticks you off.


Comcast did come over and got everything straightened out. One of the settings within the box was sending the signal in a mode that caused this issue. I didnt get the details as i wasnt there (i can get his number for you if you would like) He made some changes and i am now getting 1080i on all channels that i checked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmucko
"motorola Dual tuner DVR and HD box from Comcast"


Connection to PDP from STB must be component or better


1) Power the STB off using the remote

2) Hit the menu button on the remote

3) Set TV TYPE = 16:9

4) Set HDMI/Ypbpr OUTPUT = 720P

5) Set 4:3 OVERRIDE = 480i or 480p

6) Hit the menu button on the remote

7) Power the STB on using the remote

8) Enjoy!


If the issue is actually overscan then the display itself must be adjusted if possible.
Im sure that this is what he did to help the issue..>Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto
I'd set output to 1080i to see if that makes a difference, it might be easier for the cable company to transmit all HD channels as 1080i, regardless of the actual source. Also, scaler in your display will most likely be more capable of handling a 1080i signal
Thanks, Clepto...seems to be working now that the tech came out..can you point me in any direction that gives best practices on when to set my aspect ratio to what? (so that i get the best possible picture on each channel)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylstacy
Get off of your high horse. I didnt give you the model number because i didnt have it. you think im playing some game here? i was just asking questions. I was simply wondering if anyone had ran across this issue before and that i may be able to get an answer without jotting down the model numbers. Its not a DVR issue because it happens when the DVR isnt in use. I never said it was a defective TV so im not sure where you got that. I hope you are in better spirits for the upcoming holidays. I'd hate to really see what ticks you off.


Comcast did come over and got everything straightened out. One of the settings within the box was sending the signal in a mode that caused this issue. I didnt get the details as i wasnt there (i can get his number for you if you would like) He made some changes and i am now getting 1080i on all channels that i checked.


Whoa, you might want to check the size of your horse. The folks here only are trying to help you. Which is quite difficult without enough information. Even if you all you said was "I'm not at home right now" or "I'm too lazy to jot down the model numbers" would have helped us help you. People here go out of their way to help and snapping back at them when they ask for more information is a kin to biting the hand that feeds you. - just my $0.02.


Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi
Whoa, you might want to check the size of your horse. The folks here only are trying to help you. Which is quite difficult without enough information. Even if you all you said was "I'm not at home right now" or "I'm too lazy to jot down the model numbers" would have helped us help you. People here go out of their way to help and snapping back at them when they ask for more information is a kin to biting the hand that feeds you. - just my $0.02.


Dan
What part of "i dont have the model number" should i clarify further? If you notice in my original question, i simply was looking for help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
I had the same problem after returning an HD cable box and getting a new one -- suddenly the HD channels would not fill the screen anymore, looked like regular TV, and HD channels in normal mode had a set of grey bars and a set of another two grey bars smaller inside that with black around it!!! VERY frustrating. I have tried everything to get rid of these. Also, the HD channels now were letterboxed AND had bars. Some channels had a smaller 16:9 picture floating in the middle of the screen. The quality of the HD channels I had marvelled at previously was GONE!! it just looked like a nice regular TV!!! HELP!!


Beware if you have EDTV or HD, it may not look ANYTHING like it COULD look!! I have seen paradise and am now living in old-time (albeit slightly better) TV hell. What is up with that? I traded HD boxes because one was defective. I received a slightly different box with DVI instead of HDMI output, but had component video hookups both times, so that should not matter right?


Anyone have this problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
You need to change the output of your new cable box. See the insrtructions in this thread and change to 1080i or 720p. Better picture if you go from the DVI on box to HDMI on TV. If you do not get what they are talking about in above post call cable company and they will walk you through the set up.

Good Luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylstacy
One of the settings within the box was sending the signal in a mode that caused this issue.
Isn't this exactly what RandyWalters said right before you told him to get off of his high horse for trying to help you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralsun1
I had the same problem after returning an HD cable box and getting a new one -- suddenly the HD channels would not fill the screen anymore, looked like regular TV, and HD channels in normal mode had a set of grey bars and a set of another two grey bars smaller inside that with black around it!!! VERY frustrating. I have tried everything to get rid of these. Also, the HD channels now were letterboxed AND had bars. Some channels had a smaller 16:9 picture floating in the middle of the screen. The quality of the HD channels I had marvelled at previously was GONE!! it just looked like a nice regular TV!!! HELP!!


Beware if you have EDTV or HD, it may not look ANYTHING like it COULD look!! I have seen paradise and am now living in old-time (albeit slightly better) TV hell. What is up with that? I traded HD boxes because one was defective. I received a slightly different box with DVI instead of HDMI output, but had component video hookups both times, so that should not matter right?


Anyone have this problem?


MrMucko's response earlier is exactly the fix. It is the 4:3 Override setting that is wrong. I had the exact same problem when I swapped boxes and AVS Forum helped me with the same fix.


Do note that you must hit "menu" within a couple of seconds of turning off the box. Don't unplug it...just hit the power off button.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top